Orlando Magic: 2004 Draft

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by Ice, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Ice

Ice JBB Member

This is the thread for all draft talk, prospects, and draft day selections.

The Magic currently own the leagues worst record, which will increase their lottery chances. There are several options for the Magic, but they must draft BPA. (Best Player Available)

<ul>[*]Emeka Okafor[/list]
    Strengths: Okafor is a great player on both ends of the floor. He is cabable of altering/blocking shots and has a solid low post game. His footwork is beyond his years along with his basketball IQ. Emeka is only improving, and the possibilities seem endless.
    <div align="center">[​IMG] </div>
    Weaknesses: Emeka has suffered several injuries throughout his college career. He has also struggled on the free throw line, as he only shoots around 60%. His transition from college to the NBA could be a problem. He will become a undersized C or play the PF positoin. Due to the size in the NBA, he won't be as dominate on the defensive end.

<ul>[*]Dwight Howard [/list]
    Strengths: Dwight is simply a freak of nature, he's one of the top HS players who can slam the ball with authority. He has the ability to see the floor and has phenomenal perimeter skills.
    <div align="center">
    [​IMG]</div>
    Weaknesses: He needs to develop his low post game and work on his footwork.

<ul>[*]Josh Smith [/list]
    Strengths: Much like Dwight, Josh Smith is a HS senior who possess the talent of a true athlete. He shoots the ball well and knows how to run the floor. He is a left handed shooter, and can consistently knock down the 3's.
    <div align="center">
    [​IMG] </div>
    Weaknesses: Smith needs to play with more aggression and attack the basket, rather than settle for the jumpers. He often gets down on himself when he's having an off night.

<ul>[*]Pavel Podkolzine [/list]
    Strengths: 7-5
    <div align="center">
    [​IMG] </div>
    Weaknesses: Very raw. He doesn't take advantage of his size in and needs to work on his low post moves. If the Magic are looking for immediate results, he is not the answer.

2. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

Take Emeka. The Magic needs someone who can deliver at once. Emeka is your man. He doesn't crumble under pressure and has the basketball maturity to make a difference. He'll help you on both ends and his low post moves would attract double team that can create opportunities for Tmac. He's no Shaq but he can help Tmac get more looks just like what Shaq does for Kobe. From what I've read, he's also a great man. So he'd be great for your community.

Dwight and Josh looks promising, but promises are made to be broken. They're no Lebrons and would probably need a few years to truly dominate. They can contribute, but not dominate.

Pavel? You don't need a project at this time. You already have some studs at the C position. Take advantage of it.

3. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

Okafor at #1 or trade down and get Ben Gordon. Stay away from Paval. I wouldn't mind Dwight Howard either though.

4. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

They should draft Emeka,if they get the chance.I don't like Pavel.He is a big project and isn't very impresive to me.He needs to work on his game more.
    Anyway,Emeka is what the Magics need right now. Drafting Josh or Dwight might be a risk because they are still in high school but maybe the Magics will be lucky and won't draft a bust.They might draft a pg too.They could use one.Jameer,Gordon,Duhon...

5. crazytown

crazytown JBB JustBBall Member

Okafor Effect

Here are 2 articles written today of opinions on Mr.Okafor. Both from Orlando newspapers. You make your own judgement:

Yes

No

6. TimFlem

TimFlem JBB JustBBall Member

I say we go at Okafor. He's one a national title and to me has the experience to make it here in the NBA. We need a center like Emeka.

7. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TimFlem:</div><div class="quote_post">I say we go at Okafor. He's one a national title and to me has the experience to make it here in the NBA. We need a center like Emeka.</div>

Emeka won't be that effective at the C spot. You'd have to utilize him as a PF.

As I've said in the other thread, get Emeka then get Duhon or any other PG in the 2nd round.

8. GatorsowntheNCAA

1st order of business is to get rid of Juwan Howard, then draft Okafor. I'm not sure about Okafor though, because he's undersized and we're loaded at PF now. I like Gooden as our starting PF next year. Hopefully him, Tmac, and Deshawn will be locks to start next year, which leaves a PG and a C as our biggest needs. I was watching Around the Horn, and 2 of the guys don't think he will be effective in the NBA. All of them agreed that he wouldn't be able to play center. The 2 guys that said he would be effective, compared him to Malone and Elton Brand.

9. GatorsowntheNCAA

This is a big gamble for the Magic organization to draft him, IMO. Just like last offseason, we brought in a PF and assumed he could play center and that didn't work out at all. He has also been injury prone this season. On the other hand, he is the best defensive big man that's come into the league since TD. He would give us much needed rebounding and defense.

10. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Okafor is not a center.

6'8" and center don't mix.

11. Ice

Ice JBB Member

Well if Orlando drafts Oakfor, they could get rid of their entire roster and build it around McGrady/Oakfor.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not sure about Okafor though, because he's undersized and we're loaded at PF now. </div>
    BPA.

Remember when Jerry West drafted Drew Gooden? He already had Pau Gasol on his roster, but he drafted the best player available.

We could use a center, but that doesn't mean we're going to draft Pavel just because he's 7-5.

If you had to pick between Oakfor and Drew Gooden, most would probably select Oakfor. He has a nice low post game, rebounds the basketball, plays defense, and has a smooth offensive game. He also has experience in clutch moments, leading UCONN to a national title. His potential seems endless. Yes, injuries can be a problem but he's played through them and it's always a risk you have to take. McGrady is still having back spasms, which is something he'll have to deal with his entire career. He still plays through it.

Gooden slacks off on defense and often settles for the jumpers. He hasn't had the minutes this season, but he's also had some disappointing games. (His numbers are down this season)

Getting rid of Juwan Howard is already a given, he never found his role on this team.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">Okafor is not a center.

6'8" and center don't mix</div>
    Agreed. He can dominate the college game due to the lack of size, but things are a lot different in the NBA.

I'd love to see Gooden and Juwan playing for different teams, because that would give Oakfor the bulk of the PF minutes.

12. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I dont see Emeka being a superstar in this league, his back will plague him I believe, and he needs to develop a consistent 15 footer, He will be a Ben Wallace with some offense, his IQ is amazing though and that will help you guys.

I think you guys will get Howard if you end up with the top pick because he is a freak of nature, and the Magic need someone alongside McGrady and Howard will develop into that.

Josh Smith's jumper is inconsistent from what I have heard, and I have also heard that he is leaning more towards college now, anyways I dont see you guys taking him, and taking Pavel will be a big mistake, he has Bust written all over him.

So in order for me it would go:
    Howard
    Okafor
    Trade down
    Smith
    Pavel

13. Ice

Ice JBB Member

I'd still pick Oakfor over Dwight.

Yes, Dwight is an athletic freak, but he doesn't have much of a low post game.

Orlando needs a big man who plays defense and knows how to attack the basket. Injuries could be a problem, but he like McGrady, have to deal with back spasms. It's something they will both have to put up with throughout their careers.

On the hoopshype profile for Howard, it said he wouldn't contribute right away.

He needs time to develop his game, and Emeka is already an established player.

14. Mamba

Yea i see what where you are coming from, and you know more about it than me seeing as I am not a Magic, or as Sportsrock likes to call them the Tragic, I think either one would be a good addition to your team and in the long rong with Dwight, you guys will be good, or right away with Okafor you will be decent atleast, you cant go wrong with either one.

15. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

I agree , Okafor is a natural born great defender , he played good defense on that 7 footer of Georgia Tech...and hes timing and defense is unbeleiveable , I say we keep him and trade Howard , 1 or 2 more players for another 5-10 pick and get another big guy or PG..after all in the long run we might end up with 2 ALL-STAR PF

16. GatorsowntheNCAA

Only problem with your scenario is that only 1 PF can play at a time.

17. TMac_OwNz

That was my last scenario , if he COULDN'T play Center in the NBA then next season we might have a Normal center and 2 great PF's? maybe a trade?

18. Mamba

Well he can play center in the East IMO, seeing as over 75% of the dominant big men are in the west, who does the east have...Ben Wallace, JO, and Kenyon Martin, I think Okafor can hang in there, it will be those WC road trips that he will have trouble on

19. Spaz

Spaz JBB JustBBall Member

I havent had the chance to see howard as much as id want to but from what i understand he could become the next KG, but if he flops he'll get kwame out of the presses hands...

though okafor lacks in size the man is a dominate presence and can take over a team... but I fell his size might catch up to him when hes on Yao Shaq or even Dirk....
    Try blocking that shot....

but i take emeka with experiance over raw talent

20. TMac_OwNz

Shaq and Yao are just an exception for every other Center except TD and Ratliff and maybe KG...Shaq is just too strong to stop and Yao is just to tall to block , Okafor's great defense could prevent the other team to give the ball to the big man..