Orlando Magic decline C.J. Wilcox fourth-year option

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by truebluefan, Nov 2, 2016.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Add C.J. Wilcox to the Orlando Magic’s growing list of blown opportunities. Rather than paying the guard a little over $2 million next season, which will be his fourth in the NBA, the Magic have declined Wilcox’s fourth-year rookie-scale option. That means he will be an unrestricted free agent next offseason.

Wilcox shot 38.1 percent from the three-point line in his first two NBA seasons, and he is a decent driver. The biggest knocks on the 25-year-old are he still settles for too many long twos, and his defense is average at best.

But Dan Feldman of NBC Sports writes that it is extremely silly to give up on the youngster, especially at such a bargain price.

“I’m not ready to write off the 25-year-old, though, to date, he has not been worth his option-year salary,” Feldman wrote in a column. “He’s so cheap, I probably would’ve exercised his team option, but the Magic have more information than I do after evaluating him throughout training camp.

- See more at: http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/fastbreak-news/magic-decline-c-j-wilcox-fourth-year-option/