Orlando wins the bid

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by twolvefan11, Jul 13, 2003.

1. twolvefan11

twolvefan11 JBB Banned Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0713/1580308.html

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Juwan Howard hopes to have a magical time with his newest team.

Howard has verbally agreed to a five-year deal with Orlando for about $28 million, the Orlando Sentinel reported in Monday's editions.

The newspaper reports the deal will begin at the Magic's mid-level exception worth $4.8 million. The veteran forward can't sign the deal until the league's free agency period begins on Wednesday.

Howard also was being recruited by the Timberwolves and the Pistons.

"I want to win," Howard told The Sporting News earlier last week. "That has always been my goal since Day One, since I stepped foot in the NBA. I have had an opportunity to win at all levels, college and high school. Now, I am in a position that I can make a decision to go anywhere I want to go, and I am excited about that."

Howard, 30, a nine-year veteran, averaged 18.4 points and 7.6 rebounds with the Denver Nuggets in 2002-03. He has averaged 17.9 points and 7.5 rebounds for his career.

"I do whatever teams want me to do," Howard told The Sporting News. "In Dallas, I was the fourth option and I accepted that role and we made it to the second round and won over 50 games. In Denver, they wanted me to be the go-to guy. I accepted and put up 19 points a game."</div>

GREAT! Now the Twolves won't get him :-x

2. AZ1

AZ1 JBB JustBBall Member

thats great for the magic (which by the way i made a bet with my friend that they will go to the finals)

3. Damian Necronamous

Damian Necronamous JBB JustBBall Member

LMAO, didn't he verbally agree to sign with the Timberwolves last week?

4. Ghost

Ghost BBW Member

I think so

5. snownation

snownation JBB JustBBall Member

good for the magic but its not like its gonna do anything major for them, theyll be at best the 3rd seed in the east and its not like he's gonna make em be able to beat the nets, and probably not the pistons. and ive also read that quote from him a few times about how he accepted bein the 4th option in dallas, and how he "accepted" being the first option in denver, im sure it was real hard for him to "accept" being the go to guy and 1st option. he makes it sound like it was a real tough decision for him and that he had to make a big sacrifice to be the 1st option. id like to make that sacrifice for some nba team. well i still like him but its not like he's gonna do anything for the magic.

6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

i'm not sure why the magic signed him? they need a center, not another undersized PF. juwan howard isn't effective as a 2nd option and i would have to think in orlando he would be considered the 3rd option behind T-Mac & Gooden respectively. Also what does this do to the development of Giricek?

it's too bad the magic didn't get pj brown. they lack a defensive presence in the paint, and pj brown would have filled that void nicely.

howard is a decent scorer, but he's soft on defense and plays small for a big man. the magic have plenty of scoring already and what happens if grant hill has a miraculous recovery?

7. snownation

snownation JBB JustBBall Member

unfortunately hill isnt going to recover miraculously, he'll probably come back the season after this one, and hopefully play really well, but thats hiiiighly unlikely, if he comes back at all im sure he'll get hurt again and then retire. he was one of my fav players, i wish he never woulda gotten hurt, but on the other hand he's incredibly rich so i dont feel that sorry for him.

8. Shapecity

he also has tamia.

but let's assume he sits out this season and then comes back and is actually healthy. does howard move to center?

9. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

bah... this guy is unpredictable... it was supposed to be a race between Detroit and Minnesota... so much for that...

10. Shapecity

yeah juwan should have went with the twolves. he would be a nice complimant player to kg. i think he'll be a waste in orlando and hold back giricek and possibly gooden.

11. Truemaster14

Truemaster14 JBB JustBBall Member

YES!!!!!!!! magic will rule the east

12. Truemaster14

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "shapecity":</div><div class="quote_post">i'm not sure why the magic signed him? they need a center, not another undersized PF. juwan howard isn't effective as a 2nd option and i would have to think in orlando he would be considered the 3rd option behind T-Mac & Gooden respectively. Also what does this do to the development of Giricek?

it's too bad the magic didn't get pj brown. they lack a defensive presence in the paint, and pj brown would have filled that void nicely.

howard is a decent scorer, but he's soft on defense and plays small for a big man. the magic have plenty of scoring already and what happens if grant hill has a miraculous recovery?</div>

Giricek will still start. howard will most likely start at center.

13. Shapecity

i wouldn't start juwan at the 5. he's a horrible defender, can't block a shot to save his life, and is too soft. this is not the guy orlando needs.

14. Truemaster14

hes better than nothing. Right?

15. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "truemaster14":</div><div class="quote_post">hes better than nothing. Right?</div>
    right, however there are better options for the magic. brad miller, rasho

16. Truemaster14

brad miller probably will resign with the pacers. but if we get a center we can just move juwan howard to SF, and then move giricek to the bench.

17. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Shocking..i thought he was going to minny..i guess he will play the 3...as he won't play center..good signing by magic..he will be that help mcgrady needs...

18. Truemaster14

its too cold in minnesota and detroit so he came to orlando. thats my guess

19. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I don't think it was the weather that made his decision.....i guess the media were wrong..they said howard had agreed to join the wolves an inside source said....wonder who mchale and joe D will get now....as i know both wanted him...

20. Shapecity

how about odom?