Ortiz May Have Taken Steroids

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaCaliHustla50, May 8, 2007.

1. DaCaliHustla50

DaCaliHustla50 BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>BOSTON (TICKER) -- It appears Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is not sure if he has taken steroids.Ortiz told the Boston Herald that he could not say definitively if he had ever used performance-enhancing drugs in the past. The burly designated hitter also said that if he did, it happened when he was much younger."I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that (expletive) up," Ortiz told the paper. "I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it. You've got to be careful."I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that anymore because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican (Republic). But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."However, Ortiz, who hit a club-record 54 home runs last season, made light of the situation, joking that he should try steroids just to see what all the fuss is about."I should use steroids just to see what's going on," Ortiz joked to the Herald. "Nah. I have a good family. I want to see my kids learn and develop. I think I'm having an OK career. So, I take a lot of Advils, but I think I'm going to stop taking them. They say it (expletive) your liver."Ortiz spent six non-descript seasons in Minnesota before signing with the Red Sox before the 2003 season. He has quickly become a Boston icon and one of the most popular players in baseball.In 2004, Ortiz anchored a Red Sox squad which won the franchise's first World Series in 86 years - highlighted by a shocking comeback against the rival New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series.The Red Sox became the first team in baseball history to come back from a three-games-to-none deficit to win a playoff series.</div>Source

2. Something-To-Say

Something-To-Say BBW Banned

I wouldn't be surprised. I've actually suspected him for awhile, but since he's a more likeable guy and isn't near a home run record, I didn't care that much.

3. Opal

Opal Active Member

At least he is honest about it and isn't constantly denying it. If Barry Bonds would have done this lots of people would actually root for him. Ortiz made the right decision by saying this to prevent further speculation.

4. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camby23Land @ May 9 2007, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>At least he is honest about it</div>That is debatable. I mean, it's nice that he's saying that he might have taken steroids, but we don't know if that means it was truly accidental or just a coverup. I will say that he is better than Bonds, regardless.

5. kingjamez

kingjamez BBW VIP

He doesn't know if he had taken any when he was younger, and they were protein drinks. I doubt there was any type of steroid in his drinks, even if there was I'm not sure how much of an effect it would have on him now, like 10 years later..

6. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

I dont get why everyone gets so excited about this stuff. Baseball players at most get only 2 months in the whole year off to themselves. Can you tell me how come they get see big? They got a 100+ roster scchedule, 2 days a month rest, and half the offseason is training camp/spring league. 70% of baseball players take steroids, its reality. They also chew tabacco as well.

7. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

No...this was like 20 years ago..don't get why he's bring it up now lolI think he was just saying this because he really doesn't know how steroids work..they're out of your system within like a six-month period naturallyI don't think Ortiz took steroids...he's just fat..he isn't really jacked.

8. KCX

KCX BBW VIP

I really dont think David Ortiz has taken steroids when hes played in the MLB. Hes basically just a huge slugger

9. .mastro

.mastro BBW Elite Member

I'm a Yankee fan and Ortiz has not taken steriods. Hes fat as hell [​IMG]

10. yankshater213

yankshater213 BBW Elite Member

papis always been a fat and huge guy. idc how fat he is though, one of the best hitters in the MLB.

11. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Justice @ May 9 2007, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>That is debatable. I mean, it's nice that he's saying that he might have taken steroids, but we don't know if that means it was truly accidental or just a coverup. I will say that he is better than Bonds, regardless.</div>Thats the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Apparently being a fat DH in the AL who hits homeruns is better than being the only member of the 500-500 club. Steroids or not, Bonds has been hitting 20+ homeruns every season except 1986 (rookie year), 1989 (19 HRs) & 2005 (Injury). I find it amazing how people constantly bash Bonds but don't realize that he has the fastest bat in the league. I look forward to a response from any Bonds haters...

12. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SBoyd415 @ May 9 2007, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Thats the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Apparently being a fat DH in the AL who hits homeruns is better than being the only member of the 500-500 club. Steroids or not, Bonds has been hitting 20+ homeruns every season except 1986 (rookie year), 1989 (19 HRs) & 2005 (Injury). I find it amazing how people constantly bash Bonds but don't realize that he has the fastest bat in the league. I look forward to a response from any Bonds haters...</div>I obviously wasn't talking about stats, you jackass.

13. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Justice @ May 10 2007, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I obviously wasn't talking about stats, you jackass.</div>The media tries to make Bonds look bad in a lot of ways. Obviously he has some attitude, but who wouldn't after the constant attention and prodding into his life and his chase of the homerun record. I'm not saying he's a saint or anything, but I'll definitely agree that Ortiz comes off as a nicer person. I think Bonds took steroids, but I think he did it at a time when it wasn't banned in the MLB. Steroids don't increase bat speed and they don't add 100 feet to hits, so Bonds would be a great player regardless...

14. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

Oh C'mon, this is absolutely ridicilous, he took some random protein shake when he was playing in the Dominican Republic and it has nothing to do with what he is doing in America. Change the name of this topic it is totally misleading.

15. MaRdYC26

MaRdYC26 BBW Graphics Team

OMGz it's so ridiculous to think that some HUGE 1st baseman went from being trash for the Twins to a super star stud, one of the most feared power hitters in the game..Yeah ok.it's def. not "ridiculous" to have suspsision, however we don't have enough evidence yet.

16. joemagoo362

joemagoo362 BBW Graphics Team

I agree with Mardy. Its not ridiculous at all to be suspect of David Ortiz, but as he said, evidence is lacking.

17. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SBoyd415 @ May 10 2007, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Steroids don't increase bat speed and they don't add 100 feet to hits, so Bonds would be a great player regardless...</div>They don't? Last time I checked, steroids add lean muscle mass, which translates into more force behind your swing... more force = more speed behind the bat. More speed = longer hit balls. Also, steroids can give you more longevity.And yeah, I can think of a lot of players who have taken steroids and have just become really good. It doesn't really surprise me that there is a guy who is tremendous. He would not be a legend without steroids though, imo.

18. The Truth

The Truth BBW Graphics Team

you guys do know that taken steroids 20 years ago doesn't affect your game now

19. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Justice @ May 10 2007, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>They don't? Last time I checked, steroids add lean muscle mass, which translates into more force behind your swing... more force = more speed behind the bat. More speed = longer hit balls. Also, steroids can give you more longevity.And yeah, I can think of a lot of players who have taken steroids and have just become really good. It doesn't really surprise me that there is a guy who is tremendous. He would not be a legend without steroids though, imo.</div>That's pretty debatable. I'm not arguing that he didn't take steroids, but I think he'd be a great player regardless. His father was an amazing athlete, and he was mentored by Willie Mays. Even as a leadoff man for the Pirates he had good HR totals, and it is very obvious he was nowhere close to steroids back then...Who do you think (superstar in the MLB) has taken steroids in the past five years?My guesses are Gary Sheffield, Adrian Beltre, and Andruw Jones

20. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pistol @ May 10 2007, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>you guys do know that taken steroids 20 years ago doesn't affect your game now</div>Cite your source(s).Also, it hasn't been 20 years.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SBoyd415 @ May 10 2007, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>His father was an amazing athlete, and he was mentored by Willie Mays. Even as a leadoff man for the Pirates he had good HR totals, and it is very obvious he was nowhere close to steroids back then...</div>I'm not arguing that he couldn't hit homeruns in the first place. I'm arguing that he would be just pretty good versus one of the best homerun hitters of all time.