OT: Bynum and Lakers not on same page

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, Oct 21, 2008.

1. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Looks like the Lakers aren't as hyped about Bynum as DaRizzle is-

Lakers, Bynum About $7-Mill Off Per Year?

Posted: 10/21/2008 7:16:00 AM
    Source: LA Times

General Manager Mitch Kupchak and Bynum's agent, David Lee, met Friday for about an hour at the team's training facility, though the only agreement to come from it was to talk again in the near future.

Lee is seeking a five-year extension for his client worth an estimated $17 million a year, while the Lakers are more comfortable paying Bynum about $10 million a year, possibly with incentives for All-Star appearances and team playoff success.

As per terms of the collective-bargaining agreement, teams can only offer incentives that move an annual salary upward. Bynum could not be penalized financially for missing games because of injuries.

The Lakers like the potential of Bynum and want to sign him for another five years, though they feel the need to protect themselves financially in case Bynum gets injured again.

If the sides don't agree to a deal by Oct. 31, Bynum plays the final year of a contract worth $2.8 million this season and becomes a restricted free agent July 1.

At that time, the Lakers could match any offer he signed with another team, or Bynum could sign a one-year qualifying offer with the Lakers for about $3.8 million and become an unrestricted free agent in July 2010.

In the current negotiations, there is room for flexibility.

Bynum could sign for, say, only three years and own the right to leave if he felt he could successfully test the market down the road.

Along those lines, he could sign the full five-year extension with opt-out clauses a year or two before its completion.

The Lakers declined to comment. Lee could not be reached for comment.

Bynum, who turns 21 next Monday, said he wasn't affected by the ongoing discussions.

"Not really, because if I go out and play the way I'm supposed to, it'll take care of itself," he said.

2. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    The Lakers have all the leverage, since they still have Bynum as a restricted free agent next year. They would be stupid to give him a max contract now, even if they think he's likely worth it, when they could wait one more season and get some more information--how he plays in 2008-09.

So, it makes complete sense that they'd give him a lowball offer. See if they can tempt him with a very low per-year offer in exchange for financial security coming off an injury. Worst case, he says no, and both parties wait til next off-season and see what happens during this season.

The Lakers have nothing to gain and a lot to lose by maxing him out now.

So, none of this communicates the Lakers' true evaluation of Bynum's talent. It's all business maneuverings.

3. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

The Lakers would be stupid to extend him to a max contract right now. Bynum hasn't showed he can be a constant force for 82 games in a season yet. Plus he had questions about his work ethic before he was drafted. They might as well keep him motivated to get paid for another 2 seasons.

4. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Bynum hasn't done anything to deserve 17 mill per year. He averaged 13 & 10 over a period of a few months. That's not bad and he definitely showed promise. But that's not enough to deserve the big payday. Yet.

5. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Wow... he turned down 10 mil per year after coming off a major injury. While he's got potential to earn more, he better stay healthy after turning down 50 mil and even then he'd be only 26 at the end of that contract.

Bynum could only wish Whitsitt or Nash were running the show down there.

6. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

I wont even give a response becuase I think you are just fucking with me. Im pretty sure you know the finacial side of bball better than that.

Ok...fuck it...

Of course they are "lowballing" Bynum but at the same time they really arent. The money Bynums agent thinks he deserves is not there because no matter what Bynum has done in the past he is coming off an injury and the first season he has contributed. If he wants the security of a contract right now he has got to pay for it in a reduction in salary.

The Lakers think Bynum is a max player. They were starting the talks of a max extension right before the injury.

Bynum wants to get paid now equals pay cut
    Bynum wants to get paid at the end of the season equals max deal

7. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Oden is averaging close to that right off the bat and our journalists are calling him "underwhelming".

8. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

^yeah cause your team doesnt have Odom and Kobe taking away rebounds and scoring opportunities for Oden.

By the way...the 13/10 numbers you guys keep using are very skewed. Thats with him being a bench player for the first month of the season

9. BalancedMan

BalancedMan That's out of context....

For the record, I used Bynum's statistics from last year in multiple fantasy basketball draft analysis's and he rated out as a 2nd to 4th rounder most of the time (on a per game basis, discounting the time he out for the injury). Granted, there is the concern of injury, as well as the more crowded frontcourt with Pau (although they no longer have Kwame or Turiaf to use minutes).

He is a good player, but I don't think that his upside is that of Oden, who is just physically a beast. He's had very good coaching and probably a good attitude. He'll probably end up like Patrick Ewing, who has been later studied and found to be vastly inferior to his direct comparisons (Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq) but still an all-star and considered a top-player at his position.

10. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

So Bynum is taller, bigger, and stronger yet Oden is the beast...that makes sense :crazy:

11. THE HCP

Have you video game geeks ever played Oden vs Bynum on your game? What happens?

12. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

Oden gets bent over

13. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Yeah, Bynum, Amare and Pau are defensive beasts in 2K9...led to more than one outburst of "WTeff?!?!" from me after Oden's dunk attempts are repeatedly blocked by Gasol and Amare.

I just don't see that happening much.

14. THE HCP

DaRizzle, my boys just got done having practice over at LMU if you want Greg's autograph!

15. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

^ Ill swing to the Lakers El Segundo facility before I ever go to LMU to meet Sam Bowie 2.0

16. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Bynum is tall but he's not huge. Stronger?! :biglaugh: you can tell yourself whatever helps you sleep at night.

Oden is bigger, stronger, more athletic. The only thing Bynum has on Greg is experience and the help from Kobe Bryant to take pressure off of him.

Bynum is not Oden or Howard big. He's has a narrow frame with extremely knocked knees.

[​IMG]

17. MadeFromDust

MadeFromDust Well-Known Member

DaRizzle used to be a pretty funny guy that I actually respected as a non-Blazer fan. Now all he is is another worthless troll.

You disappoint me DaRizzle.

18. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    You know who else had a great 3-months and cashed in?

[​IMG]

Bynum is not worth half of what he's asking, but I hope he cashes in. It only hurts the Lakers flexibility.

Btw, who's going to take the pressure off of Bynum when Bryant bolts to Portland next summer? :ghoti:

19. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

Give me a break...The Bowie 2.0 was a joke but everything else I said is true.

Here are the ACTUAL stats put out by the Lakers and Blazers. They are said to be the exact same size.

Oden
    Bynum

It has been widely reported from multiple sources that Bynum has grown an inch in the offseason due to his young age. With that and his muscle mass noticeably larger than even last season I would only assume that he gained some weight. How does that not make sense? You grow AND add muscle then your weight goes up.

These stats in the links Im sure havent been updated for a while, but we all saw the photos on media day, heres your stats...Im not a fucking troll so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. I call it like I see it

20. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    Oden is now 6'11.5" w/o shoes.

Yet he still has a bigger standing reach than Andrew.

Bynum also has a narrow frame. He still has trouble backing his defender down.

Channing Frye has said Oden is the strongest player he's guarded in his 4 years in the League.

McMillan said after coaching Howard that Greg is stronger than Dwight.

In terms of size and strength, Bynum is a few tiers below Greg and Dwight.