OT: Dwight Howard admitted to beating his 6-year-old son & is under investigation

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Nov 19, 2014.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2014/11/17/7235767/dwight-howard-admitted-to-beating-his-6-year-old-son

Well, this is no fun. TMZ is reporting that Dwight Howard admitted to whipping his son's legs with a belt, leaving abrasions on his legs. His son was six years old - two years older than Adrian Peterson's son when the running back beat him with a switch - and his mother, Royce Reed, reported the abuse to Children's Services in Orlando, FL.

Dwight, like Peterson, claimed he received the same treatment as a child, and didn't see anything wrong with the way he acted. His lawyers also filed documents claiming that the injuries the child sustained were not significant enough to warrant medical attention, a claim supported by Children's Services in their investigation, which is now closed.

Even though Howard won't face any criminal charges following this incident, it's still upsetting news that in the wake of the highly publicized Peterson case, Dwight claimed ignorance when confronted about his disciplinary practices with his son. That being said, we don't (and probably won't) know the timeline of the allegations. And to throw more doubt in the equation, TMZ also reports that Dwight filed for sole custody of his son, claiming that Reed gave the child psychotropic drugs to keep him subdued. Howard's lawyer released a statement, claiming "It's no coincidence that these false [child abuse] allegations were 'leaked' on the heels of Dwight filing for major custody of his son."

So there are grains of salt to be taken in every corner of this whole story, even though Dwight did admit to using corporal punishment. Here's hoping he learned his lesson. The NBA has not released any statement regarding the case, and it would be surprising to see him disciplined for this by the league or the Rockets.

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

But as much as Howard craves public adoration, this has got to get in his head. Sure we'll never know the details but if it hurts his game, it helps the Blazers.

3. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

sssseriously, what would we do without TMZ, it's like, everything to me

4. daddylogan

daddylogan Member

Musician, Web Developer
    Well let me see...when I was a youngster if I talked back to my parents my mouth got washed out with soap, and if I was did something that endangered my own life or the life of others I got whipped with a piece of hot wheel track and grounded!!! There was many time I was bad that I had to go cut my own switch to be whacked with. Basically, I didn't get away with much and guess what? I am glad I didn't. My parents did what was a "standard" of parenting back in the day and I turned out just fine. There was never abuse and I never got hit "just because." I got what I deserved and it made me a better person and never once did I hold a single thing over my parents head or held them accountable for their actions.

Not saying I agree with whatever Dwight did because I don't know the circumstances, but I do believe if more parents disciplined their kids the way we use to be back in the day their might be hope for this world! Hey...BTW...hot wheel track leaves a few good stingers on the skin for a good amount of time, and my parents never had the authorities called!

So yeah...if an adult does something to the point of "medical attention" being needed then there is a problem...but a few good red marks from a good old fashioned spanking is something that should not even be an issue.

peace out,
    daddylogan

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Reep likes this.
  5. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Man this is going to be a great thread to work out the kinks in my ignore list!

6. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    A hot wheel track. I'll guess. He drove his car over you? In the lower elementary grades in the 1950s, my teachers reminded us that they could use the brush on us, very visible hanging on the classroom wall. I got it my first day of 1st grade for talking after the bell rang. We military kids got hit all the time and hated our fathers. The Colonel intimidated me every day with the threat of violence, and resorted to it about once a week. My Air Force brat friends got similar. In my 20s I moved to the Northwest and found a liberal utopia compared to rough Southern California, full of fistfights in high school (I avoided them).

I'm against suffering, so I guess I'm for this new wave of anti-corporal punishment, which is in line with the women's lib girlization of the country. But it's what made me mentally tough instead of jelly, like weak conservative conformists. There's a good side and a bad side to everything, if it strengthens your rebellious independence. That's why the government is now against what they were once for. They realize it saps their power.

7. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I spanked my kids. I didn't use a belt but once. It made me feel like shit and I never used anything but my hand from that point forward.

I believe in spanking a child. I don't believe in beating your child

Reep likes this.
  8. daddylogan

daddylogan Member

Musician, Web Developer
    Agreed! I do not believe in abuse or beatings, so let me make that clear before someone tries to put words in my mouth! But those good old fashioned spankings and a few good swats with a branch or a hot wheel track kept me in line ;-)

peace out,
    daddylogan

9. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Where people who use corporal punishment get in trouble is "spanking angry". If you are mad -- don't do it. Please. The idea (if you believe in it) isn't to vent your anger or make yourself feel better. It is supposed to be a teaching tool. Like an allowance. Only painful. Personally I think there are plenty of other ways to punish or pursuade. They just tend to take more effort.

10. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    My parents tool of choice was either "bring me a switch" or the razor strop (a thick leather strap used for sharpening a straight razor). I avoided both as best I could.

11. magnifier661

I would usually wait until the LSD kicked in and just imagined spanking them

12. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

So the NBA suspends some no name for 24 games for hitting his wife, what will they do for their superstar hitting his kid? Adam Silver is a fucking dickless coward. I hat hate him.

dviss1 likes this.
  13. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Hat hate?

14. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

If you are suspended you cannot even participate in team activities correct? Or can you still practice?

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

When you're 7' tall and it's a 6 year old kid, do you really need a weapon to get your point across?

16. magnifier661

All he needed to do is strap him in a chair and watch him shoot 100 FTs. That's eye cancer

17. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I love it when people say things like "my parents thrashed me and it never did me any harm! Oh, and by the way, I beat my kids too."

Man hands on misery to man.

18. magnifier661

I was beat when I was a kid and it did me no harm. I just lock my kids in the closet for weeks per bad thing.

19. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Thought we went over this already with the Peterson case? Just because your parents beat you and you turned out fine doesn't mean you can justify beating your kids (not saying all that got beat are beating but some are).

20. magnifier661

Sometimes I make my kids bath in sulfuric acid when they lie