OT: Hack-A-Shaq cowardly?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by dpc, Oct 15, 2008.

1. dpc

dpc BBF refugee

First of all, I'm not sure if OT basketball threads go here or in the OT board, move accordingly.

In a article on espn.com, Shaq said that the hack-a-shaq maneuver was cowardly. Do you consider it cowardly? It is perfectly legal, and if it's legal and you win the game doing it, is it considered cowardly?

2. BenDavis503x

BenDavis503x Suspended

Of course it is. Any couch who would do that falls in the same category as the Patriots recording other teams, IMO.

3. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Nope. If he can't hit a FT, tough.

4. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

computer build instructor
    It is probably somewhat cowardly, but perfectly legal and quite smart as long as you don't foul out all of your players in the process. Use any legal advantage you can get.

5. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

Cowardly? Yes. Legal? Yes.

To prevent from seeming too cowardly, teams should have waited until he at least touched the ball.

6. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    It's called taking advantage of mis-matches. And, Shaq is mis-matched against the free throw line.

7. dpc

dpc BBF refugee

Big difference. What the Pats did was illegal, what the spurs do is perfectly legal.

I'm still indifferent, I think its sort of cowardly, but then again at the same time as mentioned above, if he isn't talented enough too hit a free throw, tough luck. The team is exploiting his weakness. Would it be cowardly for a big point guard to post up a little guard? Or outrebound a smaller team? I just changed my mind while writing this. It's not cowardly. It's exploiting weakness.

8. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Let's put it this way, if there was a boxer who was ponderously slow, but had a devastating left upper cut, would it be cowardly to dance around him and throw jabs instead of closing and going "mano y mano?" I say no, in sports it's your duty to exploit your opponents weaknesses and maximize your strengths. Shaq should have nutted up and learned to hit foul shots if he didn't want to get wrapped in a bear hug every time he touched the ball back in the day.

9. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

Shaq is an idiot. Its always everyone elses fault according to him

10. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Not cowardly in the least. Free throws are part of the game. Opponents only get a finite number of fouls, and if they choose to use a lot of them giving him free throws, then it's HIS failure as a player that he can't make them.

People leave Andre Miller wide open at the three point line because he's a terrible three point shooter... should he call collapsing defenses cowardly?

(Also: as far as OT goes, basketball-related OT stuff should be labeled OT and posted in the main forum; non-basketball OT stuff goes in the OT forum.)

Ed O.

11. TowelBoy

TowelBoy Member

Attorney
    As many have caught on to, whether or not it works and whether or not it's legal have nothing to do with whether or not it's "cowardly."

The issue, of course, is what gets to count as cowardly. Cowardly is basically defined as lacking courage, but then again, courage in excess certainly must be considered a vice (even ask Aristotle). So, to sit on the knowledge that Shaq will miss his free throws and watch as he devastates double-teams and scores or finds open shooters at will, while certainly courageous, is undoubtedly foolishly so.

We can call someone cowardly for lacking courage, but can we call them cowardly for not having courage in excess? In my opinion, that doesn't make much sense.

There we go. Case closed. Hack-a-Shaq is not cowardly. The Voice of Reason has spoken.

12. BenDavis503x

BenDavis503x Suspended

Yeah and the Spurs let Bruce Bowen purposely injure players on the court. I don't care if it's legal or not. It is still cowardly and falls in the same category, IMO.

Play better defense in the previous quarters so you do not have to resort to cheap play like hack a Shaq.
    Score more points.

13. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Of course it's not cowardly. A large part of basketball is about forcing an opponent to play to their weaknesses. Force a guy who's a bad shooter to take the long shot as the clock is winding down. Force a guy who likes to drive to his right to go to his left. Shaq's got nobody but himself to blame for being a crappy FT shooter after all of these years. Opposing coaches would be stupid to ignore his glaring weakness.

14. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

computer build instructor
    There are two issues here, hack-a-shaq to take advantage of a poor free throw shooter and dirty fouling to injure. I agree that fouling to purposely injure people is bad, but that's not about hack-a-shaq, just how some people might foul wether they are playing hack-a-shaq or not.

15. blazerboy30

blazerboy30 Well-Known Member

It is not cowardly.

Similar to what other posters have mentioned...

Is forcing the man you are guarding to his left hand cowardly? Nope, it is called knowing your opponents weaknesses and forcing them into those situations.

16. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

:smiley-hmmm: Wait a sec.....everyone keeps saying the tactic is "legal". By definition, fouling somebody is against the rules!

"Hack-a-Shaq" may be smart, and it may not be cowardly, but it is illegal.

17. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Most elegant statement of truth.

Trying to win, within the rules, is not cowardly, no.

18. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

If it works and is within the rules, it doesn't matter what labels you put on it. Is double-teaming cowardly?

19. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I think this is semantics. I would say that fouls are not against the rules. They are actions that carry penalties, but you are "allowed" six of them within the rules. You can argue it either way, I suppose. It's sort of a question of different levels of abstraction. It's "against the rules" on the micro level of a possession, but within the rules on the macro level of the game, as there are rules regarding how many a player may committ, implying it is sanctioned (six times) within the rules.

20. slickyseenis

slickyseenis New Member

if it's good basketball it's not cowardly

but it is boring