OT: my love/hate relationship with the NBA or Why Sports Suck

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Wizard Mentor, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    We're all big NBA fans here. Sometimes it's the greatest game - it's "Fantastic", but...

It's has such a high sensitivity to how it's officiated. Check out this:

We could easily be 0-6 if there were a few different calls. In this case we wouldn't be bitter about
    the officials, we'd be mad at the team. Ron Artest raked Brandon in the last play of the regulation. Not only
    was there no foul called, the broadcasters didn't even mention it. If we don't win in OT, the official really
    decided the game - not that there weren't similar calls that went against Houston. That only reinforces
    my point - the officials have too big a say in the outcome of the game. Basketball kind sucks.

This is why I (and others) can only take so much gymnastics. It's cool for a while, but the judging seems
    arbitrary (again, not only to me). There is less in football, but again, I was watching a Seahawks game a
    couple of weeks ago and an opposing WR pushed off on a defender who caught the ball and scored a
    touchdown (7 points). Later in the same game, the Seahawks recover a fumble deep in their territory
    and are about to run it all the way down the field for a touchdown. Whistle blows, and player ruled down.
    Ruling on the field was overturned giving the Seahawks the ball - 85 yards shy of a TD (That's a 14 point
    differential). Of course, the Seahawks suck so they could not overcome this, but they shouldn't have to.
    Obviously, the behind the plate umps have a big say in baseball.

Back to basketball, and the referee scandal. Was he acting alone? Yes, he was - which was really the
    worst result (to me). The bad ref gambled on games he did not officiate based on the relationship the
    game's ref had to the star players on the team. How the refs feel makes a difference large enough to
    be able to bet on the games and win $ - sad.

See what I mean? Basketball sucks, Sports suck. Sometimes, it gets me down.

(especially when if affects the Blazers).

2. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I guess it's just too depressing to talk about!