Outlaw shines like gold in Colorado

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by gambitnut, Oct 13, 2007.

1. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

computer build instructor
    Outlaw had a fairly solid game, especially the blocks and steals, but he didn't have a great game, except for the end of the 1st quarter.</p>

This article makes it sound like he is a great shooter and can make any shot he wants ...</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>So for the moment, Outlaw says he is using the preseason games to focus on running up and down the court to get in shape. Meanwhile, Webster -- one of the players competing against Outlaw for the starting small forward spot -- continued on Friday to be the preseason surprise for the Blazers. He followed his 28-point performance in the first preseason game with 19 points on 6 of 12 shooting. Webster is now 17 for 26 from the field in two preseason games.

"It's nice to see Martell have his stroke going," McMillan said. "He can help us. But I don't want just his shooting. I want his attitude. I want him to feel confident that he can play this game. Sometimes I see doubt. . . . But I'm like, 'Don't worry about it.' "

Outlaw, on the other hand, has no problems with his confidence. There is not a shot he doesn't like, as evidenced by his first quarter, when he repeatedly made tough shots that were contested.

"I think coach knows I can be aggressive," Outlaw said. "It's just something I need to be consistent with."</div></p>

... and he did have 18 points, but his aggressiveness only got him a 6-18 shooting night, not that great.

Here is my favorite part of the article:</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>While many of the Blazers, like Martell Webster, reported in phenomenal shape, Outlaw said he is using these preseason games to get his conditioning into game shape.

When asked why he didn't report to training camp in shape, Outlaw said: "I didn't want to get hurt. I didn't want something to come up where I got hurt, because then I would be a lot worse than I am now."

How could one get hurt while working on his conditioning?

"I don't know . . . anything could happen," Outlaw said.</div></p>

I know anything can happen at any time, even when you are trying to do the right thing and get yourself ready, but I don't quite see the logic in not getting yourself in shape because you might get hurt.</p>

I still like Outlaw and have hope for him, and he did have a pretty nice game, but this article that was supposed to give us hope I assume, only gave me most reasons to question him.</p>

</p>