Painful

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by oldmangrouch, Oct 12, 2015.

1. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

2. oldmangrouch

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

There should have been some firings after the WSU loss. Pellum at the very least.

4. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

good grief with the constant wailing despair from our Portland State Viking. What are you going to do when they don't do what you say they should? Pull your millions from the program or just whine some more on a website no one of consequence reads? Realize they are probably a broken finger away from being a 1 loss team cruising along with a top 10 ranking. For any team to win they have to avoid injury, and few can thrive without their top QB. Overall the D played Okay, especially when you consider the health/state of the secondary against an excellent passing attack. A midseason firing is about as likely as them trading for Darryl Dawkins so just drop the nonsense... Not Happening!

STOMP

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  5. Natebishop3

My parents were most likely attending UO before you were even born, so climb down off your high horse. I come from a family of Ducks. The only reason why I didn't attend the school is because it didn't make sense when I ultimately went back to finish my education. I also happened to meet a lovely girl who agreed to marry me, but she was finishing her business degree at PSU. But yeah, I guess you can keep throwing that in my face. It shows your true colors. It's a personal attack and it has nothing to do with the content of my post.

If you REALLY think the reason why this team is performing badly is because of Vernon's injury, I think you have some mighty big blinders on pal. You NEVER think anything is wrong and you always disappear after a loss. You LOVE to show up after a win to cherry pick negative posts from a game thread though. Classy guy. Real classy.

6. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

pretty much the usual hotheaded BS from NB3 whenever he's challenged on his nonsense. I've never ever mentioned you're a Viking before. Pretty easy to use the board's search function to prove this. Just you flailing away completely unable to deal with the lows that come with being any team's fan & throwing the kitchen sink in frustration at someone not joining your calls for a group piss in the pants. They lost and I'm right here, front and center, laughing at your spastic nonsense. The only post I've made in a game thread this year was the Michigan State one a week afterwords when posters were errantly posting there instead of the Georgia State game thread. I know not to show up in the game threads because it will just be one overboard reaction after another from you regardless of the score. Accusing the refs of conspiracies and other such dreck. And as far as insults, did you hear what your hero Joey thinks about fans like you?

Me? The season sure isn't going according to hopes, but it doesn't mean burning everything to the ground is any sort of rational approach. When Jake Fisher missed a couple of games last year and Mariota couldn't run fast enough to get a pass off, you were doing your usual freak out dance calling for Helfrich's head. Panicking is what you do... Blazers or Ducks, thats your true colors. I was happy they stayed the course and won the Pac 12 & really enjoyed a 2nd Rose Bowl victory in person. In my opinion it takes a team full of talented players & good coaches to win games but it takes luck to make it through a season with most of the key personel healthy. The most important player on any team is the QB and without a second decent one ready to go, this ship has no rudder. I've pointed out things that I think are wrong with the team in the post you responded to & have done so so many times before I can only laugh at your silly use of all caps... it's like you're emphasizing how poorly you pay attention. Just like last year when they lost Jake, the OLine is struggling mightily with pass protection. Hegarty gets blown up constantly & Crosby is still collecting penalties like it's his hobby. Does that mean the solution is to fire Greatwood midseason? No fucking way in hell. He's a proven winner and a major asset to the program, despite the struggles of this year's squad. I posted my concerns about the OLine going into the season right here, same with the DBs, same with the LBs & of course everyone was unsure about the QB position. But I also recognize how lucky they are to have a talented, long tenured, respected coaching staff. I know they're a huge draw for the prospects they've been landing as thats so often what the kids lead with when explaining their decisions to commit from afar to become a Duck. Despite the wailing of the hysterical, I'm pretty positive those in charge will stay the course during the season and evaluate things afterwords. Chill out and try to enjoy some football, or keep crying... no one cares

STOMP

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  7. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I worry about our recruiting power as well. It seems the big thing that attracts kids from out of state to Oregon, is the fact that we're good, but how do they feel about coming to an unranked Oregon team. How is that any more attractive than Oregon State?

8. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Well today's kids have seen Oregon be a powerhouse for their entire lives so I'd guess that they're still viewed that way despite this year's early season struggles. That seems to be reflected in the quotes I've been reading this year from kids on their OVs who've been witnessing losses. Theres a fair amount of rumbling that Vernon may be back this weekend vs UW and theres still time to turn the season around.

btw, hearing very good things about impressions made with last weekend's visitors

STOMP

9. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Good, hopefully the Ducks can just finish strong, and wipe out these bad memories. Even though we have no chance to win the pac12.

10. oldmangrouch

I agree that nobody is getting fired mid-season. The staff will be given the chance to right the ship.

STOMP likes this.
  11. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

There are a lot of issues in Eugene that wont likely be resolved until December.

Pellum has to be gone, there is no way this man can continue his stint as DC of this team past this season. I think the only positives we have defensively is our line (which is gonna be overhauled once again after this season... luckily there is talent there stacked up) and Joe Walker. We arm tackle (not even good remotely good enough to slow the opposition down even...), we play 8 yards off receivers and bring 3-4 rushers, we can't defend the middle of the field, and our DBs don't turn their head... Just nothing is right out there and at the end of the day that falls on the DCs lap.

Frost and Helfrich aren't coming across hunky dory either. They've had 3-4 years to groom a decent QB to succeed Marcus and have failed tremendously, we have EXPLOSIVE weapons at the skill positions and we can't even use them effectively right now, Royce/Taj are killin' it out there but the only receiver that can get anything going is Addison. The offensive line has been put in a bad position too with Lockie, they aren't as bad as they look, it's not their fault Lockie does not get the ball out after 4-5 seconds... It's also not their fault when we become so predictable on third downs... It all boils down to QB play for the offense and whose shoulders does that fall on? Our HC and OC... I mean, how sad is it that a transfer QB beats out a guy entering his 4th year in the system in two weeks? That is being severely under looked.

This season has been a perfect storm of ineptitude from the coaching staff. I just feel terrible for these players, they aren't being put in places to succeed and aren't being taught basic football skills obviously.

12. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

The Ducks are so inept on offense that they're the 9th scoring offense in the country and the #1 rushing offense in the PAC 12. Yes, Helfrich and Frost aren't getting it done on offense /rollseyes

If you want to talk about Pellum not getting the job done, that's one thing. Calling out the offense though is a joke as far as I'm concerned.

As far as the QB's go, Lockie is clearly not good enough to be a PAC 12 QB. He and the team have prepared him as much as possible, and he's still not getting it done. He's scared out there. People try and also blame the coaching staff for Mahalak not being ready, but it's not the norm for your redshirt freshman to come in and lead the team. Mariota is the only one to do it. Before him?

Thomas was a redshirt sophomore
    Masoli was a junior
    Dixon wasn't the man until his SENIOR year
    Kellen Clemens redshirt sophomore (split some reps with Fife that year)
    JOEY HEISMAN wasn't the man until his JR year

Basically Mahalak is no different than the other QB's Oregon has had over the years. There's only one Marcus Mariota and you can't hold every QB to his standard. For all we know with Lockie finally getting experience he comes back and has a good senior campaign. Dennis Dixon did the exact same thing. Dennis Dixon threw more interceptions than TD's his junior year.

They're kids. They all develop on different timelines. It isn't automatically the fault of the coaches if a player isn't up to par.

Fans are going to be fanatics, though.

STOMP likes this.
  13. Natebishop3

tl;dr

14. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I'm sure you read it multiple times, but the truth hurts and you'd rather bury your head. lol@NB3 & his silly bitching. So sorry they didn't give him that hoped for loss and he has to shelve his precious fire everyone! rants. Having Vernon back proved my point perfectly.

short enough 4 u?

STOMP

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  15. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

What exactly are you talking about? Yeah, VA helped the offense a bit but the Huskies were STILL in a position to win at the end of the game and with Browning in they MAY have done it against our defense...

The offensive play calling is still super conservative when we sniff a two possession lead... The coaching staff should know that even with a lead our defense can't be trusted.

16. Natebishop3

Blah blah blah "NB3 posted something that pissed me off" blah blah blah

You always act like I'm the only person saying something negative. Quit frankly I don't even care anymore. You're an elitist. You think only your opinion matters, and you try to invalidate others by putting them down. Maybe this was the first time you mentioned me going to PSU, but you've mentioned before that I never went to UO. If it makes you feel better, go ahead I guess. Do you walk around asking anyone wearing a Duck sweatshirt if they went to UO?

"Look at that guy wearing a Duck sweatshirt and driving a 30 year old pickup... like oh sure, he went to UO..."

You have become Dan Aykroyd from Trading Places.

17. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

The point I was referring to was how having a decent QB is paramount to how a football team plays. One 3 and out after another is demoralizing to the Defense not to mention physically taxing. Having an effective QB gives everyone belief in what they are doing and that winning is possible. Having a struggling QB in does just the opposite.

Of course Vernon wasn't at the top of his game either and was cramping up as the game went along. I also wouldn't be surprised if the finger was still pretty tender. The coaches were definitely being very conservative with the play calling and were running clock which led to an opening for the Fuskies. If they'd had Browning maybe it would have been a completely different game? Maybe if Oregon had Chris Seisay, Byron Marshall & Pharaoh Brown things would have changed too? Maybe if that Eastern Washington kid hadn't taken that cheap shot on Vernon that broke his finger Oregon would be talking about another Pac 12 championship and maybe even another playoff appearance. Maybe this maybe that, but here we are.

STOMP

18. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

no silly, most other people (including me) say negative things, it's just that overly emotional panicking is primarily what that you bring to seemingly every single Duck and Blazer season. Trade/Fire everybody! is your calling card. So sorry that I'm sick of the constant chicken little act, but it's beyond tired... and this is a message board where we get to express our opinions right?

So continue with your emotional freak outs, nothing can stop you. I will continue to mock the judgement of someone who was calling for the coach's head in the middle of arguably the most successful season in the history of the program. You seem to lack any sense of what it takes and has taken for them to achieve what they have and just want to get on to the next meltdown.

STOMP

19. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

ship righted... right? Bueller? Anyone want to update some of their opinions or is a coaching shakeup still a given?

STOMP

20. oldmangrouch

On the offensive side of the ball, I'd say the staff is completely safe.

Defense? Definite improvement, but still subject to bouts of bad tackling and missed assignments. A modest amount of heat-in-the-seat.