Patterson cools his jets

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PortlandLeBron, Jan 24, 2006.

1. PortlandLeBron

PortlandLeBron JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> At times, Ruben Patterson feels underappreciated. At other times, he feels underutilized by coach Nate McMillan.
    No question, Patterson has been a valuable commodity off the bench for the Trail Blazers this season. Odds are the veteran small forward will get plenty of time defending Carmelo Anthony on Wednesday night when the Denver Nuggets come calling at the Rose Garden.
    But there are nights when it?s not all working, as was the case in Portland?s 95-89 overtime loss to Dallas on Sunday. Patterson had six points and five rebounds in 24 minutes ? breaking a streak of 15 straight games in which he scored at least nine points ? and he was among the Blazers who guarded Jerry Stackhouse during the Maverick reserve?s 29-point blitzkrieg.
    Patterson was on the court only sparingly down the stretch and in overtime as McMillan elected to go mostly with starter Viktor Khryapa, who had four points, 10 rebounds and two blocks in 29 minutes.
    ?They were double-teaming us, and I felt we needed another shooter and ballhandler on the floor,? McMillan says.
    Patterson took it quietly as he dressed afterward.
    ?Yeah, it bothers me,? he says. ?I want to be on the floor. I?m a leader, and I can help close the door for us. But (McMillan) makes the decisions. I?m not all mad, complaining. It was just a tough loss.?

A turbulent start

At times this season, Patterson has been all mad and complaining. The latest episode came Friday, when he was kicked out of practice and fined for an undisclosed insubordinate act.
    ?Bad communication, man,? Patterson says. ?I don?t want to get into it. It?s over with. Don?t know if it had anything to do (with playing time against Dallas), but me and Nate are cool.?
    McMillan downplays the recent incident?s significance, which he says had to do with a lack of communication with the team?s medical staff.
    ?It?s part of coaching ? dealing with 15 guys and their mood swings,? he says with the trace of a grin. ?You?re going to have some good days and some bad ones.?
    Patterson carries the reputation as a lock-down on-ball defender, but he has also been effective at the other end of the court this season, averaging 11.6 points on .510 shooting. Many of his baskets are on bull rushes or quick moves to the basket, where he is an excellent finisher.
    ?Ruben has had moments where he has done good things at both ends,? McMillan says. ?He is good against both a big and a small (defender) at taking advantage of the matchup and getting to the basket.
    ?He still needs to understand position defense and patience on offense. And he needs to understand the importance of playing off (teammates) and making plays. If he doesn?t score, it?s like he?s not involved. It?s almost like he has to score to get himself fired up. Most of our guys seem to think that way.?

?A scorer my whole career?

At times, Patterson is careless with the ball. At times, he seems lost in team defense, forgetting to help a teammate when needed. It?s part of the reason McMillan said recently that he is more comfortable with Khryapa at the small forward position than with Patterson.
    But Patterson is a more consistent scorer than Khryapa. Patterson says he has thought offense more since starting small forward Darius Miles left the lineup after December knee surgery.
    ?Some people think I?m just a defensive player,? he says, ?but I have been a scorer my whole career, from high school to junior college to college. Since Darius has been out, I have tried to set up my (offensive) game a little better.?
    With reserves Jarrett Jack, Sebastian Telfair and Travis Outlaw all shooting below 41 percent from the field, Patterson?s offensive consistency has come in handy.
    ?He?s been very important for us,? point guard Steve Blake says. ?You know his defensive effort will be there. He is going to go hard and try to stop his man every time. On offense, it?s been great to have a scoring threat coming off the bench who can command a double-team.?
    For now, Patterson says, he will take the Bobby McFerrin approach. Don?t worry. Be happy.
    ?I?m having fun,? he says. ?It?s not about getting mad anymore. I can?t get frustrated anymore and let (the media) and everybody else see I?m mad. I just get myself stressed out that way. We get paid a lot of money to play this game. I?m trying not to complain about nothing. Just play basketball.?</div>

Thank you Patterson thank you!

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=33567