Paxson's message to Jordan: Bulls' door is ajar

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Phi_Slamma_Jamma, May 5, 2003.

1. Phi_Slamma_Jamma

Phi_Slamma_Jamma JBB JustBBall Member

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull302.html

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">John Paxson has done a lot of studying in his first two weeks as the Bulls' operations chief, but there's one move he didn't need much time to consider.

Paxson would like to get Michael Jordan back to the Bulls in some capacity.

''I would leave that open for him anytime,'' said Paxson, who has played phone tag with Jordan since succeeding Jerry Krause on April 14. ''I think Jerry [Reinsdorf] would, too. I hope someday that does happen.

''I'm not going to speak for Jerry [Reinsdorf], but I always felt Michael would be best as an asset for us, as opposed to Washington or any other organization. I do look forward to talking to him about everything.''

Jordan's managerial contract with the Wizards was voided when he became a player, and he's expected to review his role with the organization with chairman Abe Pollin. Jordan's also contemplating a role with the expansion franchise in Charlotte, according to league sources, but Jordan also left the door open for a return to the Bulls.

There was never a question of Jordan returning to the Bulls as long as arch-nemesis Krause was in charge, but Jordan and Paxson share a close relationship, and the regime change could prove to be an impetus for Jordan to return.

Krause may be out of the picture physically, but he'll soon be sharing space with Jordan symbolically as the Bulls are expected to raise a banner to honor Krause. The only banners hanging in the rafters of the United Center currently are in honor of Jordan, Jerry Sloan, Bob Love and Phil Jackson. Scottie Pippen also is expected to be honored after he retires.

Krause has yet to retire, so the timing of the honor isn't set.

''That will happen, but I don't know when,'' Paxson said. "He deserves to be there.''

Paxson is headed to Greece on Thursday with Bulls international scout Ivica Dukan to evaluate European phenom Darko Milicic, who's expected to be among the top three draft picks with LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. The Bulls finished with the seventh-worst record in the league, and they'll find out their drafting position at the May 22 lottery. Paxson said special assistant B.J. Armstrong will represent the Bulls in Secaucus, N.J.

''I need to see [Milicic] play in case we're lucky enough to fall in the top three,'' Paxson said.

Paxson will return Monday while Dukan will meet Armstrong in Barcelona to scout other European players. Armstrong's title hasn't changed yet, but Paxson said that likely will happen.

''I anticipate it will change,'' Paxson said. ''In just two weeks, we've already had some real good conversations.''

One change will involve the coaching staff, as assistant Bill Berry's contract was not renewed. Berry's primary responsibility was defense, which was the Bulls' weakest area this season. He also had a few confrontations with players, including Donyell Marshall.

Paxson isn't sure if Pete Myers will remain an assistant coach or return to the scouting ranks, but Paxson did say he values Myers' energy on the bench.</div>