Pens ride Jarry to 2-0 win over Coyotes in Kessel's return

Discussion in 'WEST: Pacific Division' started by truebluefan, Dec 7, 2019.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Phil Kessel drank in the moment in the most Phil Kessel way. He tried to avoid it.

Yet as the standing ovation the Arizona Coyotes forward received in his return to Pittsburgh wore on Friday night, the mercurial forward who helped the Penguins to a pair of Stanley Cups couldn't escape it even as he tried to hide on the bench. So Kessel finally caved, skating onto the ice and bashfully raising his stick as a show of respect to the sellout crowd.

"You know me, I'm not the biggest for that," Kessel said. "But like I said, it was nice of them to do that. I appreciate it."

Penguins goaltender Tristan Jarry wasn't so hospitable, turning aside all 33 shots he faced -- including three from Kessel -- to lift Pittsburgh to a 2-0 victory. Jarry's second straight shutout and fifth victory in his last six starts did little to dampen a potentially messy goalie controversy, though coach Mike Sullivan demurred when asked if Jarry is making a compelling case to supplant struggling veteran Matt Murray as Pittsburgh's No. 1 starter.

read more https://www.espn.com/nhl/recap/_/gameId/401145490