People who think they know what they're talking about who don't

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AEM, Jul 25, 2008.

1. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    Courtesy of John Scalzi's wonderful blog. Read the original (entire) entry - it's hilarious and a bit ridiculous, all at once [​IMG] .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Another Entry in the Annals of “People Who Haven’t the Slightest Idea What They’re Saying”

Published by John Scalzi at 5:36 pm

Awww, look. Someone’s trying to lecture me on speech and the Internet!

(claps happily)

Background: In the comment thread to this entry yesterday, someone named Gretchen came in and acted in a manner I thought was inappropriate, and I told her so. She maintains I misunderstood her intent, to which I said fine, then I beg your pardon (which, to be fair, she might not have seen). She goes back to the LiveJournal community from whence she came and complains about her treatment here, which inspired another member to write me a letter lecturing me about some “facts” of the Internet, among them:

Internets 101: When you publish something on a public blog and neglect to disable the comment function, you have already given readers your permission to reply. This little slice of Internet magic is also known as the First Amendment.

Well, okay then.

First irony: The person lecturing me on the First Amendment of the Internet is apparently located in Australia, home of absolutely no First Amendment protections. Rumor has it Australia is its own country. I’d need to check an almanac to confirm, but off the top of my head I’m pretty sure about that....</div> http://scalzi.com/whatever/?p=1109