Per New Arena 25 Best Managers of All Time

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Yankeefan5545, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Found this article again and am providing the names of those listed. Boner is not included.

25. Charles Comiskey 24. Joe Maddon 23. Terry Francona 22. Gene Mauch
    21. Billy Martin 20. Fred Clarke 19. Leo Durocher 18. Frank Chance
    17. Danny Murtaugh 16, Miller Huggins 15. Bill Mc Kechnie 14. Dick Williams
    13. Bruce Bochy 12. Bucky Harris 11. Tommy Lasorda 10. Bobby Cox
    09. Earl Weaver 08. Walter Alston 07. Sparky Anderson 06. Joe Torre
    05. Tony La Russa 04. Connie Mack 03. John McGraw .02 Joe Mc Carthy

Number 1 & my favorite Casey Stengel

Mattingly23NY likes this.
  2. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    In my opinion La Russa and Lasorda are ranked way too high. Billy Martin is ranked way too low, and belongs in the Top 10

I'm not even sure I'd put Gene Mauch on this list. He had some hellacious ball clubs especially the Angel's of the 80s. I'm shocked his players did not bury his ass under the pitching mound after the 86 ALCS.
    The mere thought of Mauch pulling Bobby Witt off the mound with two outs in the ninth made me want to puke to this date... ~!!!~
    Sure Witt gave up a 2 Run HR to the BIG MOFO Don Baylor ro make it 5-4 LA. Witt follows up getting Dewey Evan's to popup, then has only Rich Gedman with his .158 B'avg for the 3rd out and a trip to the W.S.

1 out to go and Mauch pulls Witt (whose big curve was unhittable), he brings in Lucas 2 pitch to Gedman, who can't hit a baseball with a 2 foot wide and 10 foot long Bat...Lucas beans Gedman.

I shit right then and there. Everyone knew the Angwls could not and would not win another game after Mauch blew up the Halos well oiled machine. A devastating loss ir knockout punch the team could and would never recover from. Mauch was branded how's the most hated coach manager, in all of Southern California. The mounted horse Posse of police surrounding the field we're not there to keep the fans off the field to celebrate, b4 & after a victory that slipped through their fingers. The mounted Posse was there to prevent Gene Mauch from being lynched and murdered in cold blood.
    I despised Lasorda
    I downright wanted Mauchs head on my wall... so did 20 Million others in SoCal.

There's nothing worse than losing an ALCS to Boston.

Lillie likes this.
  3. Yankeefan5545

Retired
    I had that list lost it and when running across it again put it up for inspection. Needless to say I didn't agree with the ranking, . Mauch was selected for overall wins and losses. That '64 Philly and '86 Angels Teams were two big crushers. I was overseas in '64 and it was a job keeping up with MLB things were primitive, Years later when stationed in Pa Mauch was still being cursed. I don't like seeing Maddon on that list, caught his act in Tampa, people can say what they want but Theo tampered by stabbing Renteria in the back and bringing Maddon in. Lately it looks like the Cubs Maddon honeymoon is about over. Billy Martin, loved him as a player, great as a manager. Steinbrenner should have put him in there and let him boogie woogie. Martin learned much from Stengel then added a few of his own. Those Martin/Weaver ball games were well managed on both sides. One thing I always admired about Martin is that he'd not back down when he thought he was right. Torre was given the keys to a Cadillac but as staff members like Zimmer ect ect disappeared the franchise turned to a Yugo. Cashman and Torre should have been let go. Stengel had a team that won five consecutive series none of what were push button, Casey was a genius at mix, match, and platoon. Mc Carthy & Huggins were up there is success as well. I hated the Dodgers but respected Walter Alston, Lasorda loudmouth clown whose actions did not fit the character of the franchise,

Lillie and Mattingly23NY like this.
  4. Mattingly23NY

I meant to point that out, Casey Stengel is not even on the list. What a joke eh. I wonder who made this list? Personally I would put Casey at number 5 move Larussa and Torre into the 20s if not at the end.
    I meant to mention- Mauchs failures in 64 and 82 also..
    In 82 a very good Angels team was beaten by a much better Brewers team.
    There's a few others on this list I'm not even sure should be there I will expound later Michael...

Lillie likes this.
  5. Yankeefan5545

Retired
    Casey Stengel was given the number one slot. You missed a copy of the final line of my original post. But as you point out there ar e some choice that make one scratch their heads.

Mattingly23NY and Lillie like this.
  6. Mattingly23NY

Doh-
    I see it now.
    Casey #1 that floats my boat alright.

Lillie likes this.
  7. Yankeefan5545

Retired
    I though I was on drugs there for a minute. I thought Billy Martin at 21 was very low. many of Martins former player stated what a great Baseball Mind he possessed.

Mattingly23NY and Lillie like this.
  8. blgridesagain

blgridesagain team player

I think Billy Martin is still the only MGR to take 4 different teams to first place.

9. Godzuki

Godzuki Member

See I told you I wasn't BLG.