Perhaps the Longest Year of Greg's Life

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Entity, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Entity

Entity some guy

Full-Time Student, E.E.
    Here's Quick's story on Greg today.

If there's one thing I can say about Greg and the media attention, it's that I don't think there's ever been a rookie in the NBA that has ever had to endure a whole year of this kind of build up, and for him to go so long without playing a single game, listening to the same questions over and over, hearing every single thing people are saying about him one way or the other, and not being able to do much about it except try and get back to be what you were supposed to be... I just can't wait for him to get his first 20/10 game under his belt. I don't know if that's enough to help him feel right, but I can't imagine having to sit under that kind of pressure for such a long time. I imagine once he starts playing real games, maybe all this attention can either be justified for him or disappear and take that pressure off.

2. Entity

Entity some guy

Full-Time Student, E.E.
    I kind of liked this part:

3. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

"Underwhelming?" Quick really needs to work on his choice of adjectives, he could have said "Tentative," "Winded," or even "Rusty" but how in the hell do per-40 averages of 22 points and 12 boards equal underwhelming for a rookie center who hasn't played competitive ball in a year and a half?

4. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

I think that underwhelming is the wrong word as well. Seeing him putting the opposite tean's big in foul trouble, opening the lanes for Roy/Aldridge, rebounding and being basically unstoppable when he is close to the basket while clearly out of game shape has left me with an understanding that this guy is going to have a lot more impact this year than I anticipated.

If you remember - we had an analysis what a Pryzbilla like production out of Greg would do to this franchise (the analysis brought us to around 48 wins) - it is clear that he will be a lot better than Pryzbilla pretty quickly.

He is going to be something else...

5. anonymous gambler

anonymous gambler Member

I want to say that I'm in Greg's corner all season regardless. I believe this will be our best player and he can count on most Blazer fan's support during his growing pains as a player.

I agree that he already looks pretty promising.

maxiep likes this.
  6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Greg is feeling the pressure of the whole franchise. Th sad part is that if the Blazers start out slow (Which is a better than 50% chance due to the schedule) people will take shots at him. There are too many idiotic fans and media for that not to happen. I mean even Stern thinks the Blazers will be one of the biggest stories of the year. The hype is huge

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-35-66/Experts-Gaze-into-the-Crystal-Ball-of-2008-2009.html

Other teams fans and media will take pleasure in any Blazer failures because of all the hype. I think it will take 2-3 months for Greg to relax. He can't take on all the burden by himself. His teammates will help him though.

7. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

Great post Nik, i totally agree.

I think my biggest thing with Greg is getting him to lose 10 more pounds and get in EXCELLENT playing shape... like top tier in the NBA good. I think that would really help him, because his new found weight is holding him back in my opinion.

8. bodyman5001

bodyman5001 Genius

auto collision technician
    It is holding him back and that is scary. The good thing is that he seems to have put it on easily which often means you can take it off easily too.

9. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Agreed, probably the wrong use of words by Quick, who probably meant tentative and winded like you said.
    I think so many people are expecting Shaq, Russell and Robinson all rolled into one in Greg, and he hasn't even played an officlal NBA game yet. It's kind of worrisome that the guy seems mentally drained from it all before the season even starts, and it's going to get even worse as he travels around the country and going into each NBA town with writers constantly asking him about how he's feeling.

I think Oden's played well so far in the preseason, and has shown he can change the game in a big way. It's a good thing he's not considered the 'only' franchise player, when we've got Roy, Aldridge and Rudy to take the load off.

10. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I can't wait for a month to go by and bump posts like these just to see how silly all of this is. If you really take a look at him, you can tell that he is going to dominate at both ends of the floor and all of this cautious pessimism / optimism is going to wash away once he's had his time to adjust.

I have no worries at all about him right now.

11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I think the last person we need to be worrying about on this roster is Greg! Guy hasn't played for a year and a half.

12. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    Sound reply by Ben @ Blazer's Edge to Oden's, "I mean, I wish I could (have fun), but I see it as so much more. I've got a lot riding on this," Oden said. "Coach is like, 'Calm down and relax, it's just a game' ... but I'm like 'Look, I've got so many people wanting me to do this and that for this team, and the pressures of this team, the expectations of this team ... I can't relax.'"

13. mgb

mgb Over-Nite Sensation

Wasn't Oden's O suppose to be the part of his game that was behind the rest? From what I've seen he's done as well or better than anticipated. Especially considering he hasn't played in a game in over a year after a season ending injury. If he wasn't injured last year and had the same exact preseason the only thing that would worry me is his not getting up and down the court quickly, but since he's been out so long that is not surprising.

14. Uther TheGardener

Uther TheGardener Tall Timbers

securing the future
    but sadly its quick being the writer that he is...he just cant have too many positive stories....

15. mgb

mgb Over-Nite Sensation

What BS. First I don't consider Oden whining. Second did Durant have a season ending injury and trying to come back from a injury that has ended some players careers? See how he would have reacted if he sat on the bench his first year. The two are not even comparable.

16. mgb

mgb Over-Nite Sensation

I was going to post a comment at Blazer's Edge, but I see others have pointed out what I said so no point.

17. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Comparing Durant's situation with Greg's is a garbage argument! Kevin had and still has NO expectations placed upon him! They just rolled the ball out and said, "Alright Durant, shoot the ball!"

18. The Sebastian Express

The Sebastian Express Snarflepumpkin

Ben's reply was not sound at all. It was dramatic and his attempt to compare Durant and Oden's situations made no sense. In addition he is trying to make it seem like Greg is unappreciative which has no basis.

19. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    I didn't see it as whining, per se, as much as I saw it as Greg's immaturity (age). And, I'm not saying that in a bad way as much as I'm saying it is what it is.

Sooner or later Greg will grab the proverbial bull by the ___s and not let Quick - or anyone else for that matter - get inside his head. I'm confident he'll do just that......play.

20. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    That's just how good he's going to be:ghoti:

Seriously, the Greg Oden we've seen so far is likely the worst we'll ever see--and he's dominated at times. Man, the 28th can't get here soon enough.