Perlaza traded for Mwanga

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by Wheels, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

2. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Whoa! Nice! Heard Mwanga has been disappointing for the Union this season possibly because he has been stripped of confidence by Peter Nowak. I hope he plays free and lights it up! Jorge seems like a really nice guy, but he has been very disappointing for the Timbers. I heard that Philly was the front runner to land Perlaza before he ended up coming to the Timbers.

I'm thinking the Timbers gave up something else as well, maybe cash? Maybe I'm overating Mwanga?

3. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Mwanga gets paid more than I expected so that's likely a factor as to why they dumped him.

4. Wheels

according to Mao on the twitterz it looks like it was straight swap for swap. this team still has needs, and forward isnt one of them, but if you can get younger AND better at any position you do it.

5. Wheels

I like Perlaza too. Seems like a class guy. Philly was the other team fighting for his signature too yes. Ultimately Perlaza didnt pan out though.

On that note though we are LOADED at forward with Boyd, Nagbe, Mwanga, fucito, and Valencia coming in next year. Youngin's like Richards too, and Dike probably wont be back now. There has to be more attrition at Forward right?

6. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I don't know if this makes the Timbers better, but it is an exciting trade.

Danny is fine individual and has overcome a lot in his life to be here in the US playing in the MLS. He and part of his family was lucky to get out of Africa alive.

Still a really young guy, he probably has a lot to work on still. But he has loads of raw talent. Scored a bunch of goals in HS at Jefferson(4-5 a game). Lead the Pac-12 in goals his freshmen year.

This guy loves Portland and will love the TA. Hope this works out!

7. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

Mwanga mania hits Rose City with hometown hero's return
    [​IMG]

BEAVERTON, Ore. – Mwanga mania hit the Rose City on Friday as the Portland Timbers' newest acquisition took to the training field for the first time in his new uniform.

As if it were a segment of “This is Your Life, Danny Mwanga,” the 20-year-old forward got reacquainted with a number of familiar faces as they descended upon the Timbers training facility to catch a glimpse of the hometown hero. In addition to the throng of media members in attendance – many of whom covered Mwanga when he wore a Jefferson High School Democrats jersey – was his former Oregon State University head coach Steve Simmons.

“My heart just filled with warmth,” Simmons, describing his reaction to the trade that brought Mwanga from the Philadelphia Union in exchange for Jorge Perlaza. “He’s such a good kid and a good player and he just loves this area. This is home for him, outside of Africa. And all his support cast is here.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/06/08/mwanga-mania-hits-rose-city-strikers-return