Pete Carroll to Coach Seahawks?

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by Lost One, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Lost One

Lost One ...

Rumor has it that Pete Carroll may leave USC to coach the Seahawks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=4808557

I remember there were rumors a couple years ago that the Chargers may hire him, but they chose Norv instead, and Pete decided to stay at USC.

Coaching at the college level and professional level is very different, and I wonder what type of success he'll find in the NFL if he does in fact accept this job. I also wonder what it means for USC and their football program.

Thoughts? :dunno:

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

There's a lot of good reasons Carroll should leave now.

1. USC's basketball team just got the hammer dropped on them for the OJ Mayo mess. USC football has been under investigation with Reggie Bush and recently Joe McKnight (who also declared he's going pro). Carroll won't want to stick around if USC football gets put on probation.

2. USC is going to lose a lot of key players again this year and Carroll might not want to go through a rebuilding season and rather cash in his chips now while he still has "god-like" status as head coach.

3. Seattle Seahawks are on the West Coast, they have an interim GM (Carroll wants complete control and this is the reason he turned down the San Diego job), a fantastic stadium and a lot of money to spend. Not to mention the NFC West is probably the least competitive division in the NFL.

Huge loss not only for USC, but also the city of Los Angeles if he leaves. Carroll does A LOT of work with the community and inner city kids.

3. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Wasn't he a flop as the Patriots coach? For some reason I don't see him being that great, but he's a good coach. He is able to dominate the collegiate level w/ the talent level USC brings in, but I don't see his risky moves working in the NFL 2nd time around.

4. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

This is what wiki has on him for NFL experience.

5. Shapecity

He was just above .500 coaching in the NFL. He felt he needed more control to have more success during those two stints. Apparently Ken Norton Jr. will be his linebacker coach and Pete will call the defensive plays. Should be interesting who he selects as his offensive coordinator and what direction they take during the NFL draft.

I heard Matt Lienart might be a possibility of reuniting with Carroll.

6. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

He's pulling a Calipari. Just when the shit is about to hit the fan, go somewhere else.

7. Shapecity

Looks like it ...

Source