Phil Jackson to Orlando?

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by Ice, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Ice

Ice JBB Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Phil Jackson is expected to return next season, but he'd prefer a more developed team that's already winning such as the SuperSonics, Heat, Mavericks or Magic</div>

Linkage - http://www.suntimes.com/output/banks/cst-spt-banx061.html

2. OrlandoMagicFan

OrlandoMagicFan JBB JustBBall Member

hmm he would be a good coach... i dont mind JD but a great coach like Phil jackson would be good... Im personally not into the Lose=Coaches fault Win=Coaches work

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Steve Francis better get traded before they consider bringing Phil Jackson aboard. Francis refused to play a controlled style of ball with Van Gundy emphasizing defense. PJax will demand everyone on the team plays the same way, and is known for benching anyone who doesn't buy into it. I feel bad for Davis not getting much support to return next year. He's done a great job considering all the roster changes this team has gone through. No one expected the Magic to be a playoff team this year, but they have been a top team in the East all season long. Of course anytime a team gets a chance to get a headcoach like Phil Jackson you have to make that call. I just don't see Phil passing on the Lakers and Knicks though.

4. magicdamo23

magicdamo23 JBB JustBBall Member

Everyone is blind with Steve Francis so I expect statements like that.

Apparently he was playing terribly since the Mobley trade, despite his best stats and games coming after that. Now he cant play a "controled" game for a coach that we havent even got. Despite the fact that Steves last 3 games have shown huge control and team play (10 assists as a starting SG, OK good ball hogging there).

At starting PG yes maybe you might be right, but look at his past few games. He is making clever shots and drives, hes not making any showboat moves, only the natural skill to beat players, that is hes not appearing on the highlight real 90% of the time.

Back to the issue. Yes Jackson would be a good coach, hes a tried and tested coach, and probably the best "living legend" coach around, or atleast still activily looking to coach. 9 championships between 2 seperate teams, thats impressive. Any team, and player should be glad to get him on their sideline.

5. j_a_d_e

j_a_d_e JBB JustBBall Member

i thought Phil's goin back to LA and that Kobe's fine with that...

6. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

There is no way Francis would be able to play under Jackson if he struggled playing under Van Gundy. Out of all those teams listed, scratch the Heat off...and the Magic. I think the best shots are: NY, LA, Seattle (why would they want a new coach when they are winning), and Dallas.

7. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting magicdamo23:</div><div class="quote_post">Everyone is blind with Steve Francis so I expect statements like that.

Apparently he was playing terribly since the Mobley trade, despite his best stats and games coming after that. Now he cant play a "controled" game for a coach that we havent even got. Despite the fact that Steves last 3 games have shown huge control and team play (10 assists as a starting SG, OK good ball hogging there).

At starting PG yes maybe you might be right, but look at his past few games. He is making clever shots and drives, hes not making any showboat moves, only the natural skill to beat players, that is hes not appearing on the highlight real 90% of the time.

Back to the issue. Yes Jackson would be a good coach, hes a tried and tested coach, and probably the best "living legend" coach around, or atleast still activily looking to coach. 9 championships between 2 seperate teams, thats impressive. Any team, and player should be glad to get him on their sideline.</div>Steve is playing better a SG, which should be his natural position in the NBA. It's good the Magic have finally gone with the change and it's paying dividends for him and the team. Unfortunately, Phil Jackson likes playing with bigger guards with a lot of reach, and Francis does not fit that preference. Phil Jackson wants players who can cover a lot of ground on defense with their arm spam. Francis simply does not fit the profile, and established a "hard to coach" reputation playing for Van Gundy.

8. FlaBoy

FlaBoy JBB JustBBall Member

I wouldnt want Phil even though he is the best coach of all time we are TOTAL TEAM EFFORT, Phil w/ the Bulls had MJ mostly handle the ball and do everything, and in LA he had a combo of Kobe/Idiot. With Orlando we have many good options mostly everyone is an option and will get the ball and some shots Phil will have to change his coaching or not come to the Magic maybe goto Knicks or Lakers maybe T'Wolves.(Flip,JD,or Skiles is the coaches i would like to have).

9. jmc1

jmc1 JBB JustBBall Member

I think Francis would do great in the Triangle offense.