Phoenix Suns vs. Dallas Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by jkidd51524, May 23, 2006.

1. jkidd51524

jkidd51524 BBW Elite Member

This is going to be a great series. Repeat of last year's conference semi finals. Who do you guys think will win.

2. pistonz4life

pistonz4life BBW Elite Member

Me and you were posting at the same time....I guess delete mine.

3. gome

gome BBW Member

Suns take this one in 6.

4. Milgod

Milgod BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gome @ May 23 2006, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Suns take this one in 6.</div>I'd be happy with that, very happy infact.Don't think its too bad a guess either. The regular season series was tied at 2-2, and the Suns looked good in those games.

5. pjcolpitts?

pjcolpitts? BBW Elite Member

No way in hell do the Suns win this series. Its not in the cards for them. Its the Mavericks year.

6. Milgod

Milgod BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pjcolpitts @ May 23 2006, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No way in hell do the Suns win this series. Its not in the cards for them. Its the Mavericks year.</div>not sure why you would say that, the Mavs haven't proved that they are a better team when playing the Suns this year (or last year for that matter).

7. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>not sure why you would say that, the Mavs haven't proved that they are a better team when playing the Suns this year (or last year for that matter).</div>You can't bring up last year when Suns don't have Amare this year and in terms of size have decreased. Also, the Mavs team have improved upon from last year's play. Judging from the regular season, this will be one hell of a matchup that I see Mavs pulling out simply because they can get more stops and also run with the Suns. Mavericks hardest playoff matchup is over and I don't see Suns being the team that knocks us off. I respect them and I see this in 6 to Mavs.Also, to reiterate Mavs have the homecourt advantage, I've been hearing on aim and some from the Mavs/Spurs board that Suns have homecourt, they don't.

8. Milgod

Milgod BBW Member

I know Mavs have home court but I still think the Suns wil win it. They have proven they can win anywhere, doesn't matter to them.I can see people picking the Mavs, that is fine by me. It was just the fact he said 'no way in hell' the Suns would win. Seemed odd to me, as I see this as a close series. It will be a high scoring one too, great for the fans to watch.

9. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

Mavericks in 6...Phoenix is coming off two grueling seven-game series, whereas Dallas (despite coming off a seven-game series of their own) swept Memphis in the first round, so they aren't as tired.The games should be good, but I see Dallas taking this one... it will be a huge upset if they don't.

10. pjcolpitts?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Milgod @ May 23 2006, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>not sure why you would say that, the Mavs haven't proved that they are a better team when playing the Suns this year (or last year for that matter).</div>1st off, last's playoffs dont matter because its a new year and the Suns have a completely different roster and dont have Amare Stoudamire. 2. The 2 wins you guys are talking about, Van Horn didnt play in, and Harris only played 7 minutes in the 2nd loss. That 2nd game DJ Mbenga started at center and Diop didnt even play. It was the 80th game of the season, so it was practically a worthless game in that respect. Playoff positioning was already set. We were not nearly at full health against you guys. The 1st 2 games Stack and Griffin didnt even play. 3. We just beat the San Antonio freakin SPURS. The Defending Champs. The Mavs and Spurs are the elite teams in the West; the others are a few steps behind. 4. If Steve Nash had trouble with Sam Cassell and Livingston, how in the hell do you expect for him to keep up with Jason Terry and Devin Harris?5. You are going to say that Marion will be able to keep Dirk in check. Think again, in the games against the Suns this year, Dirk is averaged 30 points and 12 rebounds. Plus he's coming off a series where he beat Bowen and Finely down. 6. The Suns run the best. Well, i dont think so even at that. We have the better athletes. Daniels, Howard, Stack, Terry, Dirk, Harris, KVH are all better athletes than James Jones, Tim Thomas, Steve Nash, Raja Bell, Barbosa, Marion, and Boris Diaw. Its going to be even better if Kurt Thomas plays in the series because that gives Diop and Damp someone to gaurd. 7. Mavs are just plain and simple the better team. We go 10 deep while the Suns go 7 deep. there are more reasons, but why do i need to put them?Mavs win in 5 or 6 imo.

11. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

Nice analysis pj, but I think you have to look at it from Milgod's perspective and he's a Suns fan. Just like we were the underdogs against the Spurs, we have to root for them despite not being the favorites.

12. jhowardfan

jhowardfan BBW Elite Member

very nice analysis, every point is well explained and i agree with everything.Mavs in 6

13. Milgod

Milgod BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pjcolpitts @ May 23 2006, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>1st off, last's playoffs dont matter because its a new year and the Suns have a completely different roster and dont have Amare Stoudamire. I wasn't really counting last year, I was just throwing it in as a reminder :happy0144: 2. The 2 wins you guys are talking about, Van Horn didnt play in, and Harris only played 7 minutes in the 2nd loss. That 2nd game DJ Mbenga started at center and Diop didnt even play. It was the 80th game of the season, so it was practically a worthless game in that respect. Playoff positioning was already set. We were not nearly at full health against you guys. The 1st 2 games Stack and Griffin didnt even play. The first game you won was the first of the season, we had pretty much a whole new team, yet you guys could only force a win in double OT. Was that Diop comment meant to make it seem like he would have been a dominant player?3. We just beat the San Antonio freakin SPURS. The Defending Champs. The Mavs and Spurs are the elite teams in the West; the others are a few steps behind. I agree, you did beat the Spurs. I was hoping you would every step along the way as the Suns Match up alot better against Dallas than San Antonio.4. If Steve Nash had trouble with Sam Cassell and Livingston, how in the hell do you expect for him to keep up with Jason Terry and Devin Harris? Well he seemed to cope to me, we're through aren't we? I didn't see Terry and Harris running riot in the regular season.5. You are going to say that Marion will be able to keep Dirk in check. Think again, in the games against the Suns this year, Dirk is averaged 30 points and 12 rebounds. Plus he's coming off a series where he beat Bowen and Finely down. Marion will make sure he doesn't run away with things, sure. I would worry more about Dirk being able to hold marion back if he hits his groove. Marion had a pretty big conference semi's and is really starting to step up now.6. The Suns run the best. Well, i dont think so even at that. We have the better athletes. Daniels, Howard, Stack, Terry, Dirk, Harris, KVH are all better athletes than James Jones, Tim Thomas, Steve Nash, Raja Bell, Barbosa, Marion, and Boris Diaw. Its going to be even better if Kurt Thomas plays in the series because that gives Diop and Damp someone to gaurd. better athletes than Marion & Barbosa? The other lot are fairly close but Marion and Barbosa are unstopable at times. If Kurt comes back it will only help the Suns as it gives them more options.7. Mavs are just plain and simple the better team. We go 10 deep while the Suns go 7 deep. there are more reasons, but why do i need to put them?Mavs win in 5 or 6 imo. The Mavs are deeper, but the Suns have been playing with only 7/8 players all year, trust me, they are used to it by now.The Suns might play with less players but Nash, Thomas, Marion, Bell, Diaw can all step up and win games. I look at the Mavs line-up, and although a good team, I am not scared of anyone bar Dirk.</div>

14. mavsfan1000

mavsfan1000 BBW Elite Member

Mavs will have troubles with the suns. It is a matchup nightmare for Dallas. The only team in the league that can run better than the mavs. Golden State also gave Dallas problems for this reason. I am saying mavs in 7. Dallas will have to change their lineup to matchup with the suns and that is not good.

15. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

Hey mavsfan you know how you like to bash Stack and Van Horn, both played decent last night and Harris was terrible. But yet I don't hear any complaints about that from you. Just typical of your bias. Rip them on bad games, quiet on good ones. Never rip on your favorites.

16. mavsfan1000

Van Horn's defense was atrocious. Glad he hit those 3 pointers but he was a big reason Duncan scored 41. Stackhouse was 5-11. Unfortunately that's a good game for him but he was clutch when it mattered. Still not a fan of his game and his jump shots will hurt more against a Phoenix team that likes to run off jump shots.

17. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

Mavs are a better team all around, Mavs in 6.

18. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Van Horn's defense was atrocious. Glad he hit those 3 pointers but he was a big reason Duncan scored 41. Stackhouse was 5-11. Unfortunately that's a good game for him but he was clutch when it mattered. Still not a fan of his game and his jump shots will hurt more against a Phoenix team that likes to run off jump shots.</div> Thank you for proving my point you only criticize those two players. And oh wow, Van Horn was the big reason Duncan scored 41. You can put some of that on Dirk, Diop, Damp as well.

19. mavsfan1000

No one can guard Duncan but Van Horn did the worst job of the 4 there. Also that turnover hurt when he tried to drive to the basket and missing a layup once. He should just shoot the ball from 3 point range or pass to the next player.

20. pjcolpitts?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mavsfan1000 @ May 23 2006, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Van Horn's defense was atrocious. Glad he hit those 3 pointers but he was a big reason Duncan scored 41. Stackhouse was 5-11. Unfortunately that's a good game for him but he was clutch when it mattered. Still not a fan of his game and his jump shots will hurt more against a Phoenix team that likes to run off jump shots.</div><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rok @ May 23 2006, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Thank you for proving my point you only criticize those two players. And oh wow, Van Horn was the big reason Duncan scored 41. You can put some of that on Dirk, Diop, Damp as well.</div>Thats was i was going to say Rok. Look what happened the in the 7 games:game 1:31 pointsgame 2:28 pointsgame 3:35 game 4:31game 5:35game 6:24game 7:41Doesnt look too different to me. KVH didnt play the first 4 games, only 3 minutes the 5th and only about 13 or so the next 2. If anything, he actaully played him just as good as damp. KVH killed Duncan on the offensive end, not only with his 3's, but he also spread the floor and made nice big lanes for other players to drive in because he brought duncan out of the paint. Now i'm not saying he outplayed Duncan, i'm saying he outplayed Damp.