piston championship last year.. a fluke?

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by hungi1115, Jun 13, 2005.

1. hungi1115

hungi1115 JBB JustBBall Member

it really looks like the pistons are showing signs of weakness. the teams that they beat last year was either hurt or something that made them not 100%.
    and now they have faced a team with very little weaknesses and they dun have an answer for them. wat all ya think?? [​IMG]

2. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hungi1115:</div><div class="quote_post">it really looks like the pistons are showing signs of weakness. the teams that they beat last year was either hurt or something that made them not 100%.
    and now they have faced a team with very little weaknesses and they dun have an answer for them. wat all ya think?? [​IMG]</div>
    I don't think you can call last years championship run a fluke just because of the fact that they are in the Finals again. If it was a fluke they wouldn't have made the playoffs or would have been knocked out early. It wasn't a fluke but I do think they were lucky that Miami had tons of injuries.

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

What has this year got to do with last year? Pistons were deserving champions last year. They beat the best available in the west last season. Spurs are simply stronger than a year ago

So please don't post such garbage again

thank you

4. MiamiBalla12

MiamiBalla12 JBB Light-Skinned Assassin

It definately wasn't a fluke they are one of the best teams in the league. Part of the reason they may have beat the miami heat was because miami's starting lineup was injured. but they also beat the lakers last year with a healthy kobe and shaq.

5. hungi1115

well, u could clearly see that the piston's are not a championship team vs. the spurs(but i wish they win this series...damn cherry picker) . miami shoulda been in teh finals with the spurs

6. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hungi1115:</div><div class="quote_post">well, u could clearly see that the piston's are not a championship team vs. the spurs(but i wish they win this series...damn cherry picker) . miami shoulda been in teh finals with the spurs</div>

Just because the Pistons are down to the Spurs doesn't mean they aren't a championship team. The Spurs are an amazing team, you act as If being down 2-0 to a team like the Spurs somehow means the Pistons aren't still GREAT.

Spurs have been the best overall team all year, what has happened so far isn't that big of a surprise.

You comparing last year to this year is pure foolish.

7. hungi1115

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Just because the Pistons are down to the Spurs doesn't mean they aren't a championship team. The Spurs are an amazing team, you act as If being down 2-0 to a team like the Spurs somehow means the Pistons aren't still GREAT.

Spurs have been the best overall team all year, what has happened so far isn't that big of a surprise.

You comparing last year to this year is pure foolish.</div>
    do u really think a championship team would get blown out like they did in the first 2 games. and they r only averaging about 70 points in those 2 games. even the minor league could get more points than they do..

8. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hungi1115:</div><div class="quote_post">do u really think a championship team would get blown out like they did in the first 2 games. and they r only averaging about 70 points in those 2 games. even the minor league could get more points than they do..</div>

The first game was alot closer than the score suggested, the Spurs just went crazy in the 4th.

To make a judgement on wether they are a championship or not due to getting beat badly in game 2 is none other than very stupid.

You underrate the Spurs defense and how good they are offensively.

If the Pistons aren't a championship team then no one other than the Spurs are either.

What you are trying to say is complete garbage.

Looking that you are a Laker fan I shouldn't be surprised by this topic. You are obviously still very bitter.

9. hungi1115

like i said, if miami had wade fully healthy the piston woulda gotten their ass handed to them. and yes, im a laker fan but u cant say that im still piss cuz of last season..

10. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hungi1115:</div><div class="quote_post">like i said, if miami had wade fully healthy the piston woulda gotten their ass handed to them. and yes, im a laker fan but u cant say that im still piss cuz of last season..</div>

Injures are part of the game and no way shape or form would a 100% Wade have meant they would of got their asses handed to them. It would of gone to a game 7 anyway. Making that kind of foolish statement shows how little you clearly know about the game.

No title team has won It all by facing teams who are healthly. If you are good enough and you have the right amount of depth and balence you have to be able to pull through. You need guys who aren't prone to injury.

11. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Why does everyone hate the Pistons? I?m not a Pistons fan, but I respect them and I thought that Joe Dumars built the team brilliantly. How could you even say that the Pistons championship run was a fluke based on them being down 0-2 to an elite Spurs team? I don?t see the significance in bringing that up at all.

If my memory is correct, everyone was jumping on the Lakers bandwagon saying they would win, they have four Hall of Famers, plus the elite Shaq-Kobe 1-2 punch. The Pistons not only beat them, but they managed to do it in five games with the Lakers only win coming in overtime because the Pistons lost poise in the final minute ? something they rarely do.

When the Pistons beat the Pacers ? the team with the best record, who was injured? I?m not sure I remember, but please refresh my memory. I remember them having a fully healthy lineup with the likes of perhaps a Hall of Famer in Reggie Miller.

AllNet mentioned this before, but I?ll say it again. In order to build a championship team, you have to make sure what players you?re using. That being said, if you build around injury prone players such as Shaq who has never played more than 15 games the past three season excluding this one, you must expect injuries. Even if you think Detroit?s great strategy of putting a healthy and durable roster wasn?t fair because they were playing injury riddled teams, do you think there championship is less meaningful? The NBA has been around for about 60 years and out of all the finals that have taken place, injuries have been a part of it too. Do you look back and say ?They shouldn?t have gotten their championship because so and so was injured? Sorry buddy, but it doesn?t work like that. One can make the argument, the Lakers wouldn?t have won all three championships if the officiating wasn?t so crappy in the Kings series.

I still don?t understand it never think I will. The Pistons are an elite team who deserve to be in the finals and deserved to have won a championship last year. I made a thread to remind everyone not to sleep on Detroit not too long ago and it seems like people are doing just the opposite and are sleeping on them even more and are not respecting the team for continuously succeeding in the face of adversity. Last year they were down to the Nets 2-3 facing elimination. They were also not even given a chance against the Lakers last season and they proved them wrong again. This year, they made sure to win the series against Pacers although they were down, and there were tons of Heat bandwagoners and Pistons haters not giving them a chance again; especially when the Heat had what seemed like a commanding 3-2 series lead.

The Pistons are down right now and as history shows us, they are still able to succeed in these types of situations. Even if they do end up losing the series to the Spurs, some people are acting as if it?s an insult losing to the Spurs lead by a Hall of Famer and perhaps the best power forward to ever play the game of basketball! The Spurs are absolutely a great team and losing to them in any fashion should not be degrading. Just simply remember the series is far from being over and please let?s not take anything away from them for making it this far. Their team was obviously the best in the Eastern Conference and is in the finals for the second time in a row. Please people although you can hate Pistons with everything that?s in you, remember you have no choice but to respect them for what they?ve accomplished. Plain and simple.

12. hungi1115

of course the pistons is an elite team. thier in a cripple eastern conference. the only teams that can beat them were the heat and pacers. and wade got injured and artest ..u no.
    if they were in the west, they would be under the 4th seed.

no the pistons wont be going to the finals if wade was healthy.
    no the pistons wont be even out of the second round if the pacers had ron artest and a healthy tinsley
    all i can say is that, the pistons got lucky and now they just met their match.

13. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hungi1115:</div><div class="quote_post">of course the pistons is an elite team. thier in a cripple eastern conference. the only teams that can beat them were the heat and pacers. and wade got injured and artest ..u no.
    if they were in the west, they would be under the 4th seed.

no the pistons wont be going to the finals if wade was healthy.
    no the pistons wont be even out of the second round if the pacers had ron artest
    all i can say is that, the pistons got lucky and now they just met their match.</div>
    You really can?t speculate like that because it?s one of those you never know type of answers. While Wade and Artest would have helped their teams, how do you know that the presences of them would have elevated the Pistons game even more? And the Pistons have beaten the Pacers last year with a healthy roster so you can?t make such a bold prediction.

Also you never addressed the Lakers going all the way against the Kings despite the terrible officiating. What about that? Would the Lakers have won?

14. hungi1115

some1 tell me wat was so terrible in the kings/lakers series. i really dunno

15. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hungi1115:</div><div class="quote_post">well, u could clearly see that the piston's are not a championship team vs. the spurs(but i wish they win this series...damn cherry picker) . miami shoulda been in teh finals with the spurs</div>

Of course they're a championship team just because of the fact that they are the champs. However I do agree with some of your posts about if the Heat would have been healthy that they would be in the finals. Dude? What do you have against Robert Horry?

16. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hungi1115:</div><div class="quote_post">some1 tell me wat was so terrible in the kings/lakers series. i really dunno</div>
    There were terrible officials who I thought were Laker fans. Let me just say that every good call was going the Lakers.

17. CRM2K4

CRM2K4 JBB JustBBall Member

People from LA will never respect the Pistons..Too bad your team blew it with some of the best players available in the league. And why does everyone say that they wouldn't of beat Miami without injuries...Well guess what, Injuries are part of the game, we have injuries too, maybe not a serious but still. To call last years championship a fluke is retarded...The Pistons whooped everyones ass last year, bottom line. The Spurs are better this year, and lets not forget they have the best home record in the NBA. Playing at the SBC Center is tough, but I can't wait till the Spurs come to Detroit...We're down 0-2, but we're defently not out of this series..Please please shut up with stupid fluke talk, why don't you just make a thread that says I hate the Pistons cuz they beat LA last year, I think that would explain your thoughts better...I give the Spurs alot of respect, in Game 2 they played damn near perfect, that combined with the Pistons bad FG percent and ball movement made for a blow out...Lets not forget though that the Pistons had it down to 6-7 in the 4th, the Spurs went on a run and put the game out of reach but they came close...I still have faith though.... [​IMG]

18. hungi1115

ok, im not mad cuz the pistons' beat lakers last yr. wat im saying is that the pistons' just got lucky with all these things that had happen during the regular season and the playoffs.

19. PlaTsanity

PlaTsanity JBB JustBBall Member

pistons wont beat spurs..and yeah i think last year was a fluke
    hey i got a question..what was detroit's record before they landed the 2nd overall pick
    and why pick darko?

20. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hungi1115:</div><div class="quote_post">ok, im not mad cuz the pistons' beat lakers last yr. wat im saying is that the pistons' just got lucky with all these things that had happen during the regular season and the playoffs.</div>

You seem to be having trouble reading and understanding.

And yes MrJ the Pistons are disrespected and have been for a while. Guess thats the problem when you don't play and1 streetball style and have no guys who you can market.