Pistons Set to Sign Ham

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by Big D, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Big D

Big D JBB JustBBall Member

A great energy guy. I'm very happy with this signing.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Ham looks to be the next Piston

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Associated Press

AUBURN HILLS -- It looks like the first son of Saginaw will be coming home to play for the Pistons.

Journeyman small forward Darvin Ham, whose mother, Wilmer, is the mayor of Saginaw, worked out for the Pistons on Monday and is expected to be offered a one-year deal starting at $876,000. He is an athletic 6-foot-7, 240-pounder.

"There are three or four teams who have shown interest in Darvin, but he is sort of their Plan B," said Steve Kaufman, Ham's agent. "We aren't going to wait around. Detroit would be the best team for him; I don't think that's an overstatement. He wants to play in the Eastern Co.ference, it's a winning team and it's home. It's tailor-made."

Ham, who turned 30 in July, has played for five teams in six seasons, including three years with Milwaukee. He averaged 2.5 points in 75 games with Atlanta last season.

The Pistons have been looking for another small forward to back up Tayshaun Prince and Corliss Williamson. They had worked out free agents Bobby Simmons and Terence Morris before Ham.

The Pistons wanted an athletic and versatile player who could guard both bigger and quicker forwards. Ham, though limited offensively, gives them that.

He is similar in many respects to another Kaufman client, Ben Wallace. Both were not drafted out of college. Both are undersized for their positions. Both are exceptionally strong with eye-popping jumping ability.

If Ham is signed, the Pistons would have 14 guaranteed contracts. President Joe Dumars has expressed a desire to limit the roster to 13. Thus, there is a strong possibility the Pistons still might make another trade or possibly release a player.

The player on the bubble, most likely, is another Kaufman client, guard Hubert Davis, an 11-year pro. The Pistons have tried unsuccessfully to trade him. It would cost them a little more than $3 million to buy him out. </div>

http://www.detnews.com/2003/pistons/0309/23/d02-279292.htm

2. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Isn't a bad signing...gives even more depth at the SF spot...a good energy guy

Seems Hubert Davis might get released...Pistons will buy out his contract..which would a shame..As he was never given a fair chance IMO..After playing good the year before at the Wizards

3. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Hubert Davis has not been Hubert Davis since NY. Maybe had a good year with Dallas mixed in there.

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Actually he had a few pretty good seasons from 2000 to 2002.....It was only last season where he didn't get minutes...He was great from three the last few years...

5. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

i've always liked ham's energy, he doesn't get as much recognition as he deserves though

6. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

Ham is kinda like a poor mans Jerome Williams. Hes a Hustler and solid Defence.

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Ham has offically signed...Mike Cheese was also considered :mrgreen:

http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/Pistons_Si...r-84786-50.html

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Detroit Pistons President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars announced today that the club has signed free agent forward Darvin Ham to a contract. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

In 316 career NBA games Ham has averaged 3.2 points and 2.6 rebounds in 14.0 minutes. In 47 games (one as a starter) with Atlanta last season, he averaged 2.4 points and 2.0 rebounds in 12.3 minutes. Ham averaged a career-high 5.1 points and 4.9 rebounds per game during the 1999-00 season with the Milwaukee Bucks.
    </div>

8. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Solid pick-up. He'll replace some of the energy off the bench that Jon Barry brought.

9. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Ham got robbed in a dunk contest years ago, mmm, was the the one in Cleveland that Kobe won?

I don't remember.

10. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Solid pick-up. He'll replace some of the energy off the bench that Jon Barry brought.</div>

True, but I honestly think they should have kept Barry. Rip is their only good outside shooter now.

11. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Riot_Starter:</div><div class="quote_post">True, but I honestly think they should have kept Barry. Rip is their only good outside shooter now.</div>Rip isn't much of an outside shooter at all. I think he has the best mid range game in the nba.

12. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kid Canada:</div><div class="quote_post">Rip isn't much of an outside shooter at all. I think he has the best mid range game in the nba.</div>

No he isn't, but he's their best option.

And I'd take Ray's J over Rip's any day.

13. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Bobba Sura will try to replace Barry's shooting off the bench.....But he won't be able to replace the energy Barry brought to the Pistons..He fired up the crown more than anything...Cliff Robinson shot the ball well from three too...So the three-point shooting could be a problem...but with Campbell and an improved Okur the inside game should be improved

14. Wanton

Wanton JBB JustBBall Member

While the Ham signing was necessary, the Pistons really need to unload a PG and get another cheap big man.

15. Big D

Big D JBB JustBBall Member

I don't think we need another big man, myself. We are pretty well stocked there, with three 7-footers and Big Ben. Dropping Atkins would be nice, for the purposes of re-signing Okur, but we're in no real hurry to do so. I like the team we have, and would be more than happy to go into the season with it.