PORTLAND MO or ORLANDO MO?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazinaway, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

It's great to see MO have a string of games like this. Now the key is whether we are seeing an emerging new POR MO that can become a lot more consistent, or the ORL MO who suddenly disappears? I forget that MO is only 22, maturity can lead to consistency, lets hope that is what we are seeing, the guys athletic gifts are certainly there. I was really impressed last night about how efficient he was around the rim, most of the season he would have a couple bonehead misses at least. Here's hopin for mo of PORTLAND MO!

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  2. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Agree with this. A lot of chest thumping going on regarding mo around here. I'm not ready to think "he has arrived." Need to see him do this awhile. He has the physical tools for it, I want to see the mental tools for a long period of time

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  3. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    When Mo floats out there, he's invisible. When he's a hustle player, he's fantastic. Hopefully, he's starting to understand that he needs to be a hustle player to succeed.

4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I know minutes are earned but he needs some consistent minutes to build confidence and comfort. Similar to Barton. It's why I'm leaning towards trading Henderson.

Eastoff and KeepOnRollin like this.
  5. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

he had them earlier in the season and did the ORL MO disappearing act too often, now he has gotten another chance and he is now earning consistent minutes and lets see and hope he keeps them because when he plays like last night that is a big plus for this team.

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

This is true because he is not one of Terry's typical wing players. Same with Aminu. Neither are great outside shooters. But if Mo can at least keep the defense honest by hitting a wide open shot, he will really help us with his hustle. We need the easy baskets he can get. He does have decent form on his outside shot. Remember when we got him there was talk about him working hard in the off season on his 3 pt shot. Maybe another summer will do the trick. Maybe he could be a young Trevor Ariza. (without the cheap shots)

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Last night Mo was always in the right spot - that's the sign of an intelligent player. And he's the 3rd or 4th best player with the ball in his hands - he's long, he can dribble, and he's got good foot speed and mobility. With consistent minutes (I'd really like to see him as our starting SF for a while) I think he could cement himself as the 3rd best player with the ball in his hands, but for the moment I'd lean towards Henderson.

There's just something about Harkless that seems to match well with Lillard. I think if Harkless were in the starting unit Dame would help him progress quite rapidly. I don't expect him to take the SF spot this season, but hopefully he'll now get at least 20m every game and be given a shot at the spot next season.

PtldPlatypus and Scalma like this.
  8. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

When he plays hard, I like him so much better than Aminu

BBert, Nikolokolus and blue9 like this.
  9. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

He is much more polished than Aminu, that's for sure.

10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yeah there is something about Aminu's shot that makes me feel uncomfortable. I never think it is going in. Even though his percentages are not that bad. Mo can look bad at times as well though. Both of them get into trouble when they force things. They don't have the shot to bail them out of trouble. But Mo does look more comfortable attacking the basket.

11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Mo is also what 3 years younger than aminu? Aminu is great on defense though. I'm glad we have both.

Remember Aminu has never played this many minutes. The break will be good for him.

12. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Shrug. He's still shooting .280 from 3, and Fifty-Effing-Four % from the FREE throw line. I'm not sure polished means what you think it means :wink:

13. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I think he's got a better definition than you. Meyers shoots VERY well, but I wouldn't say he's very polished.
    Harkless with the ball in his hands is often a thing of beauty. Aminu with the ball in his hands is NEVER a thing of beauty. That's polish.

Eastoff likes this.
  14. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    1) I didn't "make up a definition of polished."
    2) I didn't comment on Aminu.
    3) I'm thrilled about how Harkless played last night and look forward to more, but his FT% and 3FG% absolutely suck, by any measure.

Orion Bailey and Eastoff like this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'd be careful comparing early play of the team with current play...Stotts came off the road and held defensive drills with good results, called out weaknesses in our defense, addressed them and now we're seeing results...at 22 Mo is making strides...Dame and CJ were still in college at his age. It's the teams improvement that makes everyone succeed more. Aminu and Harkless play really, really well on defense together...Aminu, Henderson, Davis and Harkless were defensive beasts when on the court together last night...

RipCityDSCPL, dviss1, BBert and 4 others like this.
  16. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

The biggest difference in our defense is the fact that our bigs actually rotate, slide, and help off their man on defense. Robin would try, but he wasn't very good and LMA never helped off his man, except on the perimeter.

riverman likes this.
  17. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

The last three games Mo has great shooting numbers. I would complain about him taking minutes away from a young player but he is only 22. I think we have found a nice role to take advantage of his athleticism. Only three games though.

Will note that his wingspan is only 1.5 inch shorter than Paul Millsap. Maybe Mo is our PF of the future.

18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

So. were at .500. Who is paying for the last game. Me or you? My money is on you. :)

19. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

20. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1