Preaseason Awards: Carlos Arroyo MIP?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by spark22, Oct 27, 2004.

1. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">MOST IMPROVED PLAYER: CARLOS ARROYO (UTAH JAZZ)

The 25-year-old Arroyo showed flashes of brilliance at the Summer Games. He was in command of his squad and proved that he could indeed play with the best in the world. The 6-2 point guard had the best year of his short career in 2003-04, as he averaged career-highs in points (12.6 ppg), rebounds (2.6 rpg) and assists (5.0 apg) in 71 contests for the Jazz. His confidence is at an all-time high and if he is able to continue his stellar play this season, Arroyo could be headed for a breakout year.

The Jazz added some talent during the offseason, as they signed Carlos Boozer and Mehmet Okur. With the additions of Boozer and Okur, Arroyo will register more assists and he should continue to have the opportunity to shine offensively with Utah's opponents concentrating on stopping Utah's formidable frontline (Boozer, Andrei Kirilenko, Okur). Seventeen points and eight assists per game will be the type of statistics that will appear next to Arroyo's name in the boxscore.

HONORABLE MENTION: Willie Green (Philadelphia 76ers), Darius Miles (Portland Trail Blazers), Mehmet Okur (Utah Jazz) </div>

Rest of Article

I actually agree with this article on this topic, I think Arroyo could be MIP, even though I thought he should of got alot more attention last year, this really could be a breakout year. His name this year won't be as new as it was last year and with a better team, he will be seen more. Plus all of the additions (Boozer, Okur, etc.), his assist should really go up. But some of the other things I don't agree with, like Kevin O'Connor not even mentioned on the Executive of the Year. These are predictions, so they can't be written in stone but they do give an "experts" views of the NBA.

2. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Carlos will defintely improve, but MIP? I think last season was his best chance at getting it, been promoted from 3rd PG to starter. He already averaged 12 and 5 and will have to put up some great numbers to win MIP. But I still expect his APG to gay way up, with far more scoring options than last season.