Exclusive PRESEASON GAME# 6: MACCABI @ BLAZERS - OCTOBER 13, 2017- Quote Book

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Oct 13, 2017.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

HEAD COACH TERRY STOTTS

Thought on the preseason:

“I was pleased with the preseason. I thought we did a lot of good things. As I said before the game, I thought our defense was fairly consistent throughout the preseason with the exception probably being transition defense. We’ve gotten a little bit better. I think it’s always a little difficult to gauge where you are in preseason with the dynamics of the games and the opponents and things like that. We’re where we want to be going into the first week of the season. We still need to get some things done with the three practices next week but overall, I thought we did a lot of good things and I’m glad it’s over.”

“It doesn’t matter if preseason is three weeks or four weeks, you’re always glad it’s over.”

Why’d you decide to go with 14 players and waive three?

“We wanted to have an open roster spot being a luxury tax team. This is probably more a question for Neil more than for me, but it’s an added expense. We have to have 14 so I think the open roster spot was important.”

Was there any hesitation to keep Morrow for shooting?

“I mean, look, there were reasons to keep one of all three of them but certainly Anthony’s shooting ability was a strong consideration. He’s been doing it in the league for a long time. I think he’s over 40% career. So that is an NBA skill that certainly is worth consideration.”

2. SlyPokerDog

ZACH COLLINS

How’d you feel out there tonight?

“Pretty good. My shot felt good. Physically I felt pretty good. Obliviously the opportunity was there to go out and make plays, so I just tried to do that.”

Did you like the opportunity to play with different guys?

“Yeah, it’s always nice – especially playing with Jake. He’s a very good shooter but he’s also a very good teammate, he’s always trying to look to get other guys involved too so it’s pretty nice to play with a guy like him, and then obviously everyone else is great. Playing with different lineups is important because you never know when your name is going to get called, so being able to play with different guys, it’ll definitely help you down the road.”

What do you know now that you didn’t before your first preseason game?

“I kind of saw everything coming just because of training camp. We went really hard for that first week and going up against pretty big guys, we have some big guys on our team, so that kind of helped prepare me for all the teams we’ve played so far. I think just getting out there and realizing – obviously I was real nervous before the first preseason game – but just realizing it’s just basketball and it’s helped me a lot.”

Thoughts on moving forward to the regular season:

“Definitely looking forward to winning games that actually count now. Just seeing how that’s like, obviously it’s another new experience. There’s a bunch of new experiences coming in as a rookie and that’s the next one.”

“Just looking forward to kind of knowing what to expect a little bit at home and on the road, obviously bigger crowds are going to be there, more TV games so it’s going to be fun.”

42N8Bounce likes this.
  3. SlyPokerDog

HEAD COACH OFFER RAHIMI

How do you think you played tonight?

We didn’t do well. We played soft. We started the game very badly. I can understand our play because our players had a long trip, almost 2 weeks, we had long flights. It’s a hotel game. Our guys were very tired, and we tried our best but the rest of Portland was out, without the stars, and they wanted to prove themselves. They played very hard, and they want to make the starting team. They shot very well – especially through the first half. I think 9 of 15 from 3-point range. They controlled the ball. Then, after the first quarter, we started to run after them and it wasn’t enough for us.

What does it mean for you to come to the U.S. and play NBA teams?

It’s big stuff for us. We are a small team from Israel. It’s a small country. To come for a trip against an NBA team is a dream for most of our players. We see these guys on TV, and we knew that Portland was the best team of the 3 we were going to meet – Utah, Indiana and Portland. It’s a top playoff team, and a lot of talented players. It was hard. We have a long flight back home Sunday – a very long one. Hopefully, we will come to our league next Wednesday and can win because of our experience here.

42N8Bounce and Chris Craig like this.
  4. SlyPokerDog

OZ BLAYZER

On playing an NBA team:

“Great experience for us. With players playing from Europe it’s a different level for us. Different athleticism, skills, different rules and a different basketball game. It’s a good experience for us as a team, this trip brought us together with three NBA games. We got together as a team and we’re playing two days after we land in Israel. I don’t think there can be any better preparation for the season than playing against NBA teams.”

On if any players from Portland stuck out to him:

“Number 10 (Jake Layman), I don’t remember his name, but he was shooting lights out. All of their team was very big, very athletic for us. We just tried to do our best. Each one of them was really at their best and they deserve being in the NBA, because we saw today how good they are. It was great for us.”

42N8Bounce likes this.
  5. SlyPokerDog

TEAM

• With a 129-81 win over Maccabi Haifa, the Trail Blazers finished the preseason with a 5-1 record. The last time Portland won five preseason games was 2013, when they finished the preseason 5-2.
    • The Trail Blazers outrebounded Maccabi Haifa, 41-38, and have outrebounded their opponent in five consecutive games.
    • Portland shot 15-of-25 (52.2%) from the three-point line. The Trail Blazers have shot 40.0% or better from beyond the arc in each of the last five games.
    • The Trail Blazers had a preseason-high six players score in double figures.
    • Portland had a preseason-high 26 assists and a preseason-low 13 turnovers.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  6. SlyPokerDog

PLAYER

• Jake Layman scored 24 points (9-14 FG, 4-7 3-PT, 2-3 FT), the most points he has had in a preseason game. Layman’s regular season career-high is 17 points (11/1/16 vs. Golden State).
    • Pat Connaughton recorded 18 points, four rebounds and six assists in 30 minutes.
    • Jusuf Nurkic had 13 points, eight rebounds, one assist and one steal in 12 minutes, all in the first quarter.
    • Zach Collins had preseason-highs of 17 points and eight rebounds in 31 minutes off the bench.
    • Archie Goodwin notched 23 points (7-11 FG, 9-13 FT) in 27 minutes to lead all bench players in scoring.
    • Meyers Leonard rounded out the six Trail Blazers in double figures with 10 points on perfect 4-of-4 shooting (2-2 3-PT).

7. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Why’d you decide to go with 14 players and waive three?

“We wanted to have an open roster spot being a luxury tax team. This is probably more a question for Neil more than for me, but it’s an added expense. We have to have 14 so I think the open roster spot was important.”

We'll there you have it.

Was there any hesitation to keep Morrow for shooting?

“I mean, look, there were reasons to keep one of all three of them but certainly Anthony’s shooting ability was a strong consideration. He’s been doing it in the league for a long time. I think he’s over 40% career. So that is an NBA skill that certainly is worth consideration.”

Hopefully we won't need him, or it...

Chris Craig and SlyPokerDog like this.
  8. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Well he can't really say "They all sucked !"

Darkwebs likes this.
  9. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Say what you want about Offer Rahimi, but that's a man who knows its NBA :D

Chris Craig and SlyPokerDog like this.
  10. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    By reading what he thinks, I rate him as a team guy.

Darkwebs likes this.
  11. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Terry Stotts should start these guys first game. lol > He could give them substantial minutes this season to renew energy within the starters. In the playoffs, we benefit, especially if Layman & Connaughton surface onto Stott's radar.

12. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

The one thing I seen last night they play together. They had around 26 assist last night that sharing the ball.

13. rotary111

rotary111 Well-Known Member

Real Estate.
    Agreed, This wasn't a "screw you guy's, i'm gettin mine" type of game. They actually played team ball last night. Surprising, especially from a group of players looking to solidify themselves on a roster. Still think Briscoe should have made the cut....but what do I know.

Trackjack, 42N8Bounce and Denny Crane like this.
  14. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    They can use that roster spot to sign a lot of 10 day contracts over the course of the season without the tax hit.

FWIW.

Darkwebs, Chris Craig and rotary111 like this.
  15. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

They need a spot for when they use the exception

Darkwebs likes this.
  16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I hope we're good enough that using it makes sense. There's reason for optimism.

17. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I think thats the point. Neil wants to wait and see how good we are and then decide whether to use it. If the Blazers are going to skate or cross the luxury tax line Neil wants to do so by signing a player that is going to make us better, not just merely fill a spot.

18. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    We're already over the LT line by ~$3M-$4M. Someone like Ed Davis or Aminu would have to go for cap space to get us under.

I've not questioned NO's moves so far, but I am not seeing the benefit of being in LT this season unless we're a real threat to beat the Warriors.

19. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

When is the date again that he needs to be under the LT before it counts toward this season?

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Last day of the season. Realistically, the last chance to shed salary would be the trade deadline.

Wizard Mentor likes this.