Preview: Blazers @ Suns

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trail_Blazer76, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]

<font color="red">Blazers: 21-25 (Lost 1)</font> <font color="darkorange">Suns: 18-31 (Won 1)</font>

<font color="red">By Trail_Blazer 76</font>

When: Wednesday, February 4th
    Where: American West Arena
    Time: 6:00pm ET

Probable Starters

[​IMG] [​IMG] Damon Stoudamire/Leandro Barbosa
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Derek Anderson/Joe Johnson
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Darius Miles/Shawn Marion
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Zach Randolph/Amare Stoudemire
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Rasheed Wallace/Jake Voskuhl

Key Matchup
    Zach Randolph vs Amare Stoudemire
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The same key matchup as the last time these two teams met, and for good reason. Last time these two battled it out and there was only a 1 point and 1 board difference in their stats. This will be Randolph's first game since finding out that he will not be an allstar. If he's anything like Kmart, he'll be trying to prove something to the coaches that snubbed him.

Amare brings his game every night. He still isn't seen as much of a scoring force, but when he wants to, he can score in the paint at will. Especially considering that Z-bo doesn't care much to try and stop people. Amare will get his usually boards in addition to owning the paint offensively.

X-factors
    Dale Davis & Leandro Barbosa
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Although he disagrees with it, Dale Davis is slowly accepting his role as a bench player. I have a feeling that tonight he may get more minutes than normal. Assuming that Sheed starts at center, and plays hard, Davis will come into the game playing against an already sub-par Jake Voskuhl. Like most teams the Suns lack a true center, and he'll be even worse after dealing with Sheed (assuming that Sheed plays the post). Worst case scenario he'll be put up against Jahidi White, who only plays 15mpg anyway.

Leandro Barbosa is excellent from three, and with 5 inches on Mouse can easily shoot over him. The Blazers have superior rebounder, so he'd better made sure that his shot is falling. If he can pick up his offense game, the Suns could have another Marbury-Amare-Matrix trio, which would be deadly against most teams.

[​IMG]<font color="red"> The Trail to Victory</font>

They've won four of their last 5, all on the road. Nearing .500 and staying in playoff contention. Experimenting with their starting 5, and staying out of trouble. This game won't be a cake-walk, but won't be impossible to win either. Points in the paint in the only real way for the Suns to score. Preventing this, and fast break points should get the Blazers a win.

[​IMG] <font color="darkorange">Outshine the Opposition</font>

Offensively, the Blazers have been playing 4 on 5, because DA has been a non-factor. He can never be ignored, but his man can sag into the post and help guard Sheed and Randolph. In this game the Blazers have superior rebounders, so the Suns will need to limit their points in the paint. They'll also need someone other than Marion to carry some of the offensive load.

<font color="red">***Trail_Blazer76's Prediction***</font>

Confidence is key, and the Suns just don't have it. I don't think they'll remain at the bottom of the west, but they won't get a win tonight.

Blazers by 9.

2. TimFlem

TimFlem JBB JustBBall Member

I say the Blazers will take this one away from the Sins. The Blazers will just come out with more since they are coming off that loss against the Nuggets. The Suns shouldn't take this one likely though. TrailBlazers by 7.

3. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

Look for Barbosa to exploite Stoudamire in this one... I think it will be close but the Blazers seem to be playing a little (not sayin much) better on the road. Blazers by 3.

4. dee still ballin

dee still ballin JBB JustBBall Member

Phoenix is sucky without Marbury

Blazers by 9

5. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

hmm, I think that this one goes down to the wire w/ Zach Randolph taking it to Amare, Zach will have a big night, and the Blazers win by 4

6. Anzix

Anzix JBB JustBBall Member

I think the Blazers will win because of Rasheed laying down the hammer and Dairus energy in the start. Blazers by 7 or so hopefully as the old signs in Portland used to say "I believe".

Good luck Blazers!

7. hapnnsas

hapnnsas JBB JustBBall Member

With the elevated play as of late from Miles and Wallace, along with the constant good play of Z-Bo I would like to think the Portland would win. Joe Johnson has become a real threat since Marbury was shipped to NY, someone needed to fill the scoring void, and JJ stepped up brilliantly. JJ might be a threat, but without Starbury, the Sun's really arent. Blazers are finally getting back in the winning groove and I don't think last night's 'Melo Show' will be enough to throw them out of whack again. Blazers have been playing close ball all season and I don't think this will be an exception. My prediction is Portland by 3.

8. YaoMing03-04

YaoMing03-04 JBB Banned Member

Blazers by 8. Great match up b/n Zach and Amare. Look for Zach to prove that he should be on the all star team.

9. nikebasketball

nikebasketball JBB JustBBall Member

Zach will lead the Blazers to the win.

Blazers 98

Suns 90

10. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

Great preview as always Cube! Great analysis, you're one of my favorite previewers. I want the Blazers to win, and think they can win this. Not with ease though. Both sides seem have enough rebounding ability, size and girth on their side. As far as strength and effort goes, I think the Blazers have much more of it. I expect Randolph to have a hard time but still contain Stoudemire. As for Wallace's job, thanks to Cube for helping me out here, will have no trouble guarding ol' Voshkul here.

Darius will have a great chance to prove himself. Facing such a strong offensive player, glad to see this matchup, he'll have to work hard if they're to win. Zach will probably provide the majority of the offense with Wallace for the Blazers. I do miss Davis though, I'm glad he's taking to this very well. Blazers by 9.

11. jump

jump JBB JustBBall Member

Suns arent playing nice basketball lately, very little confidence. I say that the Blazers will keep the crowd quiet and win by 7.

12. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

I think the blazers have too much size for Pheonix and will jump out to a big lead early. The Suns make a few runs but Portalnd prevails by 8...

13. Blinger0723

Blinger0723 JBB JustBBall Member

Miles has been playing good for the blazers so far. I say Blazers by 7.

14. Blinger0723

Blinger0723 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jump:</div><div class="quote_post">Suns arent playing nice basketball lately, very little confidence. I say that the Blazers will keep the crowd quiet and win by 7.</div>

Suns are playing very good ball lately they destroyed the rockets i belive in there last game by 20 pts. Blazers will still take this one tho.

15. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    This will be a nice one to watch with two high-flying teams. It'll be exciting to see Darius and Shawn Marion go at each other. I say Blazers by 5.

16. AllBoutDaPacers

AllBoutDaPacers JBB JustBBall Member

Blazers will win this one by 4 but only after losing a large lead.

17. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

Blazers already up big at the end of the first quarter, leading 31-17. DA and Sheed both have 8, and Mouse has 7. We're outshooting them.

18. Anzix

19. AllBoutDaPacers

AllBoutDaPacers JBB JustBBall Member

Am I good or what?

20. Anzix

.... not a large lead... semi large :-) anyways good call!