Prince's talents tested by LB.........

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by mike18946, Jul 7, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">New Pistons Coach Larry Brown is wasting no time exploring the diverse talents of Tayshaun Prince.

During a summer league practice here Sunday, Brown had Prince play three positions: small forward, shooting guard and point guard.

"I am going to challenge him," Brown said. "He's going to learn to play everywhere. The biggest thing is for him to get ready to play major minutes."

Prince, who fought his way into the rotation and eventually into the starting lineup at the end of his rookie season last year, has the inside track on the starting small forward position. But Brown doesn't want to limit him.

"I want him to be a basketball player," he said. "If he has to play point guard, the two (shooting guard), the three (small forward), I don't care. The biggest thing with him is defense. Every night he is going to play against great players. I want him to really expand his game on the defensive end."

Prince is ready for the challenge.

"No matter how strong I finished last season, I can always do better at something," Prince said. "This is the time and place for it."

He said he was excited about playing for Brown, who he said reminded him of his coach at Kentucky, Tubby Smith.

"To be able to work with a guy like that is special," Prince said. "Having a guy like that around, you can't do nothing but get better."

Prince, point guard Pepe Sanchez and rookie Darko Milicic are the only players on the summer league roster with guaranteed contracts with the Pistons for next season.

Milicic, who is still unsigned, is not expected to play in the games, which begin Tuesday. He is practicing with the team and was hobbling slightly on a sore right foot, but he took part in every drill.

"We just want to make sure we start him out right and teach him as much as we can without putting a lot of pressure on him," Brown said. "That way, when he comes to camp (in the fall), it won't be a total shock to him."

Brown's first impression of Milicic?

"He's 18," Brown said. "In some places, he would still be going to high school. He's not in great shape. He's really breathing heavy. But I love him. He's really trying."

Absent Greek

Andreas Glyniadakis, a 7-foot-1, 265 pound center from Greece whom the Pistons selected in the second round last month, will not participate in the summer league.

The Pistons offered to tender him an insurance policy to guard against injury, but they weren't willing to sign him to a contract.

He will compete with the Greece national team this summer and, most likely, play one more season overseas before joining the Pistons in 2004-2005.

Johnny Taylor, a former Orlando Magic small forward, replaced Glyniadakis on the roster
    </div>

Interesting to see how prince does....hope he impresses..

2. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

prince to me will be a solid player. nothing special. i don't think he will impress too many people, but he gets what he needs done.

3. Truemaster14

Truemaster14 JBB JustBBall Member

GIVE THAT MAN A CHEESEBURGER............anyways why would LB put him at PG? I dont think he has the right skills to be a PG. Just leave him at his normal position so he can turnout into a good player.

4. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "truemaster14":</div><div class="quote_post">GIVE THAT MAN A CHEESEBURGER............anyways why would LB put him at PG? I dont think he has the right skills to be a PG. Just leave him at his normal position so he can turnout into a good player.</div>

he's way too skinny to be a sf. he needs to bulk up.

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

He did fine handling mcgrady....prince will be a good player..just needs to keep improving as much as possible

6. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post">just needs to keep improving as much as possible</div>

yeah, who doesn't though :roll: , but yeah, he has a bright future, but i think he's too skinny to be as effective. tmac didn't have time to adjust to tayshaun, because tayshaun never played.

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "sportsrock37":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post">just needs to keep improving as much as possible</div>

tmac didn't have time to adjust to tayshaun, because tayshaun never played.</div>

Weak excuse [​IMG]

8. GatorsowntheNCAA

oh well. good enough for now. next year u will have to be the one making excuses why tayshaun couldn't guard tmac. :twisted:

9. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

prince's defence will be even better next year...beware [​IMG]

10. Truemaster14

prince couldnt guard tmac when he went off the dribble(no one in this league can) Tmac knew that but I think he was hurting, so therefore he had to settle for a jumpshot and tayshaun had a hand in his face everytime. In the playoffs towards the end tmac started to get tired so he wasnt getting elevation on his jumpshot or wasnt able to fly to the basket like he used to.

11. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

prince held mcgrady to 33% when he guarded him...all the media were asking mcgrady was he impressd how well prince guard you..and the cocky bleep..said he didn't bother me..when he clear did

12. Truemaster14

NOBODY can guard tmac, you obviously saw tmac was hurting and tired. because tmac could easily shake tayshaun, and you know this. dont let your hate for tmac get in the way of your judgement. I have tapes of tmac blowing by tayshaun but everytime he did there were 5 piston players around him. Nobody can guard a scorer like mcgrady. tmac is the best offensive player since michael jordan.

13. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Prince shut down AI late in game 6 when sixers needed a basket to win..they didn't get a shot off and it went to OT..where pistons won

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">tmac is the best offensive player since michael jordan.</div>

[​IMG] My god...what a joke...

AI is clearly the best scorer since MJ.....do i need to remind you how many scoring titles he has won? mcgrady only has 1...don't let your biased get in the way of your judgement

14. Truemaster14

Tmac toys with people who are guarding him. because if you back off him he will pull up and shoot a jumpshot and if you get close to him he will drive on you and put your big man on sportscenter.

15. Truemaster14

btw AI has no jumpshot :mrgreen:

16. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Yes he loves being on play of the day..he loves the attention...he loves getting praised

17. Truemaster14

yep :bigthumbup:

18. slamduncan21

slamduncan21 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "truemaster14":</div><div class="quote_post">tmac is the best offensive player since michael jordan.</div>
    wow. that's an awfully big statement to make. one could argue the same thing for AI (like allnet did). AI is the only one stopping himself. If he had a decent jump shot, he'd be frickin unstoppable. he's nearly unstoppable without a decent jump shot.

19. Truemaster14

but tmac has a unstoppable jumpshot, and he can drive and finish like AI. he can finish better than AI too because he can dunk in traffic which AI cant do.

20. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

mcgrady has to score like this for at least 6 straight years to be considered the best offensive players since jordan..one season doesn't prove anything