Pritchard: Udoka "highly unlikely" to return; Outlaw the favorite to start

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Voodoo Child, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Pritchard: Udoka "highly unlikely" to return; Outlaw the favorite to start

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Trail Blazers officially welcomed one potential starting small forward and all but officially waved goodbye to another Thursday at the Rose Garden.

James Jones, whom the Blazers acquired in a draft-night trade with the Phoenix Suns, was formally introduced at a news conference, pledging to bring strong shooting, professionalism and a team-first attitude to the Blazers' revamped roster.

Meanwhile, Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard made his own pledge Thursday regarding his team's small forward position, saying publicly for the first time that last year's starter -- restricted free agent Ime Udoka -- is "highly unlikely" to return next season.

"I think it's going to be very difficult (to bring Ime back) at this time," Pritchard said.

In a span of three days, restricted free agent Travis Outlaw re-signed with the team for three years, Jones was formally introduced as a Blazer and Udoka essentially was let go. When training camp starts in October, this week could be remembered as the defining moment in the evolution of the Blazers' small forward position.

So who will supplant Udoka as the starter?

"We're going to have to let that position play itself out," coach Nate McMillan said in a phone interview from Las Vegas, where he is fulfilling his USA Basketball coaching duties. "I basically have told the guys that the position is open. I'm going into training camp with an open mind."

Three players -- Jones, Outlaw and Martell Webster -- will vie for the starting job and each brings different strengths.

McMillan said Outlaw will enter training camp as the favorite to start. The lanky 6-foot-9 forward is one of the highest flyers in the Western Conference and he showed flashes of breaking out last season, when he accumulated career high averages in points (9.6), rebounds (3.2), blocks (1.1) and minutes played (22.9). His burgeoning potential prompted the Blazers this week to sign him to a three-year, roughly $12 million contract. </div>

Source: The Oregonian

2. Gee_Dupe11

Gee_Dupe11 JBB JustBBall Member

Travis outlaw should start but we dont really have a deep 3 point shooter in the lineup with him in it

3. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

Well would you label Martell or JJ as a deep 3 point shooter? I would prefer travis as the starter because he's the best defender imo

4. asdf

asdf JBB JustBBall Member

Travis Outlaw is a freak of an athlete and has tentacles for arms, but that doesn't necessarily equate to being the best defender on the team. He's still fairly raw.

Anyway, I think that the Blazers got enough players at the wing to cover for Udoka. He was a nice player to have and all, but I'd rather see Outlaw get more minutes and try to develop him as a starter.

5. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">asdf Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Travis Outlaw is a freak of an athlete and has tentacles for arms, but that doesn't necessarily equate to being the best defender on the team. He's still fairly raw.

Anyway, I think that the Blazers got enough players at the wing to cover for Udoka. He was a nice player to have and all, but I'd rather see Outlaw get more minutes and try to develop him as a starter.</div>

I was referring to him as the best defender out of the three SF