Proposed Team Next Year

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by theProdigy223, Apr 17, 2019.

1. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Had some time this am, thought I'd take a stab at the offseason.

Kakko I think changes the calculus here. He's ready to step in day one and will (hopefully) be a mainstay in the top 6 for years to come. I also love his versatility that he can play both LW and RW - with Kravtsov coming over who much prefers the right and Buch coming into his own as well it would be better for Kakko to start on the left. Im excited to see Kravtsov - Im very glad my gut reaction to last year's draft appears to be way off.

The two biggest holes I still see on the roster: a right shot defensive defenseman, and a top 6 right shot winger. Even if you go Kakko-Kravtsov-Buchnevich down the RW depth, that 3 left shots. Not what you want.

My 4 main offseason moves (which I think are all realistic):

-Get either Kapanen or William Nylander out of TOR. Nylander is 22 years old and a right shot winger. He was awful after he came back and could be a good buy-low candidate. They need to resign Marner, and Kapanen and Johnsson are also RFAs. There's no room for him there. Kapenen is also 22 and a right shot winger, and can absolutely fly - he could be a potential target on draft day for a cheaper price though doesn't have Nylander's ceiling. I think about using Andersson in this deal if the target is Nylander. Kapanen may be the smarter target as he could be signed for much less than Nylander's current deal.

-Get Trouba out of WPG. Just turned 25. Right shot defenseman with size. WPG is crowded on the back end and has a lot of young players they need to pay soon. I give them one of Hajek, Rykov and Lindgren in this deal - with K'Andre one year away and Rykov likely coming to North America this summer we can spare a lefty to shore up the right side.

-Resign Kreider. I've got back and forth on him and Panarin. I don't see any way that we can do both, and my best guess is Kreider will cost around 7m while Panarin is going to be up around 11m. That extra 4m can be used on the guys above and on the one final big move:

-Take on Callahan for removing the conditions on Tampa's second pick, making it a first. Tampa needs that cap space in the worst way this summer.

Vesey, Namenstnikov, Fast and Shattenkirk are all moved out as part of the above or dumped for the best draft picks we can accumulate.

How far does this team go next year?

Kakko-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
    Kreider-Chytil-Kapanen/Nylander
    Lemieux-Howden-Kravtsov
    Gettinger-Strome-Callahan

Skjei-Trouba
    Staal-DeAngelo
    Lindgren-Fox

The year after, K'Andre replaces Staal, and Callahan and Strome are off the books.

2. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Lay off the booze Prod but I like the post. It creates some discussion. LOL. Absolutely no need to add big salary players like Trouba and Nylander on long term contracts.. Cap suicide sooner than later. Tampa is not giving up that first. They will hope that player can replace a cap guy worth something that they can trade for picks. They will just buy Cally out. We don't need that asswipe. Honestly, we don't need another first. We have a ton of high picks over the past 3 years. I'm even blowing off Panarin now that they have the second pick in the draft. I bring back is Zucc on a 3 year deal for 15 million and I think he will take it. I'd take a shot at Pavelski for 2 year, 16 million. Maybe he will want to end his career here. That's it. Short term contracts. Figuring Zucc is back. I put Kravtsov in the middle. We need him at center and he can play there from scouting reports. No chance I deal Andersson. Chytil is soft. I'm leaning towards dumping him. However, I'll give him another year. His skill is worth waiting a little. However, I put him in the AHL all season and let him get a work ethic. Gettinger needs another AHL year. I deal Namestnikov and Vesey for sure. Maybe Fast but he would be great on the 4th line. Let Howden play the entire year on the 4th line. No pressure then move him up next year. I absolutely bring McQuaid back. Overpay him for 2 years. Give him 8 million. Kids need protection and he works wonders with young d guys. Get rid of Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith anyway possible. I don't care how.

Kakko-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
    Kreider-Kravtsov-Zucc
    Lemieux-Strome-Andersson
    Fontaine-Howden-Fast

Skjei-DeAngelo
    Hajek-McQuaid
    Lindgren-Pionk

However, if I could use Pionk and a 6th to get Fox, then I gladly substitute him.

3. theProdigy223

Agree with you on Nylander that’s why I’d like Kapanen ideally, but I still think we need a right shot winger. It’s a big hole in the entire organization. I love Zucc and I’ve always said I want to get him back here but with Kakko in the fold (another lefty who likes his off wing) it seems like there isn’t room. Though if you move Kravtsov to C you have another winger spot open.

If you want to move Chytil over Andersson I’d disagree with that but I’m starting to agree that there might only be room for 2 out of them plus Howden going forward. Chytil to me has shown the most puck skills and I’d hate to give up on that already. A lot depends what direction we go with for our 2nd first rounder.

Trouba to me fits a need where there is a gaping hole in our system. Even if we get Fox and Pionk is still around, all of our righty D are offensive in nature. If McQuaid comes back as a stop-gap I wouldn’t hate it but that hole has to get filled eventually and Trouba seems like the ideal player at the ideal age to do it.

Gorton has a chance to find some good young players out there who fill holes and I’m excited to see what direction he takes it.

4. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

They should get what they can for Vesey, Fast and/or VN and maybe use a 3rd or 4th to secure Fox. I personally wouldn't give up Hajek, even with the rest of the D prospects on the way, as i think he's going to be very solid. Agree on going after Trouba and also that Panarin probably ends up in Florida or elsewhere. We'll see what they do with Smith this summer but i think Staal will be around another year and Shatt possibly dealt next March if we're out of it.

5. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Totally agree on resigning CK and making him Captain too. Resigning RFAs Buch, Howden, Lemieux, Pionk and DeAngelo is a no brainer. Strome was a great pickup at an affordable $3.1 with RFA status after next year. Vesey at $2.275 is a steal, I only trade him if it's to get rid of a cap anchor. Don't think there will be a problem moving Namestnikov but after that Gorton will have to get creative. Chytil is superior to Andersson in every facet of the game of hockey except taking dumb penalties and should have had 10-15 more points if Jesper Fast could finish. I like Andersson's heart but he scored 6 points in 42 games with 29 penalty minutes, that's garbage.

Bottom line for this team moving forward is Hank's gotta go. No shutouts and outplayed for the 3rd time by a backup, his days as an elite NHL goalie ended with the Cup run. Staal should have been released last year I typed for the hundredth time. I don't think there will be many takers on Shatt but he has nowhere to go but up and hopefully become the RH shot the Rangers wanted when they signed him.

6. Ranger71

Next year is definately a big year for Andersson, as he showed improvement towards the end of the year but needs to improve his strength and skating. Even if he becomes a VG 3rd line player that would be livable despite going 7th overall. He seems to have the smarts and drive to succeed. Maybe they can have him work with people Boyle did.

7. kreidertime

Andersson has the ability to be an elite defensive player, PK guy who can chip in 50 points. Where as I don't see Chytil being good for much more than offense. I gave Vesey enough chances. He sucked again this year. He has to go. His roster space will be better used for another player. I have no interest in having 3 small, right handed defenseman in the lineup in DeAngelo, Fox and Pionk which is why Pionk should be used to get Fox early. He's coming here anyway.

8. theProdigy223

Zucc with another goal last night. He's having a great playoff. I really hope we can get him back next year on a reasonable contract though I question where he would fit right now. Maybe someone like Buchnevich can be moved for more help on the blueline. Kreider-Kakko-Kravtsov-Zucc would be a great top 6 set of wingers.

9. kreidertime

The system is stacked beyond belief on defense. Miller, Lindgren, Rykov, Hajek and Lundkvist all project to be starters. If anything, there are too many defenseman in our system. Eventually, some will have to be moved. Most other than Lundkvist and Keane are left handed.

10. Ranger71

I could see a 6/7 type like Lindgren being part of another deal down the road. I'm interested to see how Rykov looks when he gets over. Reunanen and Ragnarsson are also dark horse prospects too.

11. kreidertime

Reunanen I forgot. He was so good he's probably not a darkhorse. Up to the Gorton and the scouts to decide on the 6 to use and the 7th as a backup. Personally, I think Gorton will be very aggressive using Huska and a couple of defenseman to move up in the top 10 with his second first rounder.

12. Ranger71

Saw something today that they may be interested in trading for Ceci.

13. kreidertime

God know. He blows defensively. Bring back McQuaid and have him be a steady partner for a young lefty guy and protect the kids as well.