Props for Nate?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by KingSpeed, Nov 20, 2008.

1. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Nate is so often criticized when we're losing. But tonight we killed our opponent. Can we give props to Nate for this one?

2. JAFO

JAFO Member

Great win tonight against the Bulls, Nate! Fantastic job, props, kudos and other assorted "you dun good's" to you and the team. Keep it up! You just demonstrated why I love the Blazers and basketball so much. Looking forward to the next one.

GO BLAZERS!
    波特兰篮球队好棒 很利害

JAFO

3. Entity

Entity some guy

Full-Time Student, E.E.
    另外的篮球队应该害怕

4. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    please translate

5. bluefrog

bluefrog Go Blazers, GO!

Programmer
    波特兰篮球队好棒 很利害
    Portland basketball team is great interest is

另外的篮球队应该害怕
    In addition the basketball team should be afraid of

6. Entity

Entity some guy

Full-Time Student, E.E.
    Well, he said "Portland's basketball team is very good, very..." well, essentially a force to be reckoned with. Literally fierce or tough. Then I said "Other teams should be afraid!"

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  7. Jayps15

Jayps15 Active Member

Nate did coach a good game last night and he does deserve some props for it.

The defensive pressure he had us put on Rose with Aldridge applying full court pressure and coming over to double and trap him constantly really really through Rose off his game, never allowed him to get comfortable in their offense. It hurt the rest of his teammates too, by cutting off the drive and dish looks they were getting used to seeing and forcing them to try and create their own shots the Bulls ended up looking like a team in complete disarray.

He also didn't allow the team to takes it's foot off the gas and become complacent, we were up by as many as 30pts in the 1st half but Nate continued to play starters through the 3rd quarter and not allow the Bulls to chip away at the lead to get back in the game. This team was given up big leads before and a lot of that falls on Nate's shoulders, but the opposite is also true, that when this team can keep a lead and even expand it some more there has to be a lot of credit given to Nate and his decisions.

8. Magnum

Magnum Member

No...

9. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Typical. If they struggle it's Nate's fault, if they win, it's because the players played well despite him. No?

10. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Coaches in general get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. You really think Avery Johnson is a good coach? He inherited a team with great talent and just rode the wave. Nate I think is a perfect fit for this squad. He has the players respect, and that's half the game.

I'm sorry, but if I say so myself, that was a nice post........ repped!

12. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

That's great. You pleasure yourself with a rep. You are a masterrepper!

13. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Why thank you. In fact. I'm about to go rep myself repeatedly in the shower!

14. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Nate likes to play slow ball. Our biggest advantage most nights will be with our hulking centers, and our star SG plays slow too.

Nate's only real successful season coaching was a lethal three point shooting Sonics squad. We're currently the second best three point shooters in the game.

Nate is known for developing young players. We've got the second youngest team in the league.

Nate is known for getting the most out of young point guards (Blake, Telfair, Jack, Ridnour). We've got four guys with a lot of promise at PG in Rodriguez, Fernandez, Bayless and Roy.

It's hard to imagine a team better suited for Nate. Is he the best possible coach for this team? Maybe not. But he's a pretty good fit.

15. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Congratulations Nate. It only took you 3 years to figure out that this team should be running more.

16. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

Or it took him 3 years to have the right mix of defensive players and got the team to buy into it so that they could run. He's been talking about playing the right way since the start of the season. Last night it all came together.

He deserves props for this victory. That was all Nate.

And good for him. He stuck with it, the team bought into it, and now he can use this game as an example throughout the rest of the season.

17. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Nate's got the respect of his players, once he loses that, it's time to move on.
    And I think most fans think Nate's doing a good job, it's just a vocal minority here that think he sucks.

18. Magnum

Magnum Member

typical can also be correct.

What does nate bring to the table? We pass up 2 for 1 opportunites all the time. He refuses to believe in fouling to prevent a 3 with a 3point lead. he gives unintelligent, uninspiring "coaching" during timeouts. He constantly tinkers with lineups and playing time negating any attempt at creating consistency. He starts players only to leave them on the bench for the rest of the game (przybilla last year, batum this year). If he were replaced by someone else, the results would likely be as good or better. he's not overachieving with the roster given to him.

19. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I'm not as fierce a Nate-hater as some, but here's my take in general...

It's because THIS GAME is the type of ball we should be playing every game. I'm not saying we'll win by 40 every game, but we should be getting over 100, we should be taking open threes and being aggressive for dunks and layins, with the occasional -oop thrown in b/c the guards aren't worried about Nate yanking them for having fun.

We should be pounding the boards. We should be aggressive on D. We shouldn't have to wait for 1 out of every 11 games for an effort like this. That's what I get upset about after many games. Now that we've seen it can be done (as opposed to extrapolating a good few minutes) for a whole game, then it's up to Nate to keep it going.

So yes, I'll give him props. As stated, I loved using LMA's speed for something more than sprinting down the court on a non-existent fast break when he was doubling Rose in the backcourt and then getting quickly to his man. I loved that we were taking open 3's. I loved that back-and-forth two-man game that Rudy and Oden had. Are there times I was yelling at the TV because we were getting sloppy? Sure, and Nate did well to get a TO and squash that.

Learning how to win and learning how to crush are two different things, and I think we just started figuring out the second one.

20. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I disagree...we can all point out a fault he has from time to time, and I'm not saying he's at a Pop or Phil or Sloan level yet. But he's not Tim Floyd. Carlesimo and Flip Saunders couldn't hold his jock. What would Avery Johnson do differently?

I think Nate needs to improve, but that's it. Don't start over with someone else and figure out that they need to improve. If anything, I think Nate needs a Del Harris/Tex Winter-type assistant to help him get to the next level.