Prospect compare/contrast (another draft thread)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, May 15, 2017.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I thought it might be interesting to have a place specifically for comparing/contrasting prospects that have similarities in terms of position, skillset, and draft projection. For instance, there's been a bit of discussion in other threads about Motley and Bell, and which would be a better pick.

One pairing that makes for an interesting comparison is everybody's darling Jonathan Jeanne and the other international giant Anzejs Pasecniks. Why is Jeanne jumping up the board while Pasecniks stands still? Is it just the wingspan?

Another group that intrigues me are the trio that DE presently has going 32-34: Adebayo, Lesort, and Bryant. Anyone have any insight on what (if anything) differentiates any of these guys from the others? Bryant's measurables are actually very similar to Anigbogu's as well...why is Ike projectedso much higher? Just youth?

DJ Wilson or Harry Giles? Caleb Swanigan or Ivan Rabb? TJ Leaf or Tyler Lydon (don't want either)? Any other pairings you want to compare?

2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Bryant is much different than Adebayo and Lessort. His standing reach is 5 inches longer than Adebayo (and probably Lessort as well). Plus he can shoot.

3. BonesJones

D.J. Wilson is a little bit more of a safer pick than Giles and provides a lot of upside. Both are high-risk, high-reward.

4. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Caleb Swanigan vs. Ivan Rabb

Ivan Rabb offers no redeeming skill that gets him on the floor since his only NBA level skill is neutralized (rebounding) when he's forced to play the 5 due to athletic deficiencies. Like Caleb Swanigan more due to size and shooting, but even the best players of his archetype get played off the floor in a playoff series so what's the point of drafting him?

Adebayo vs. Lessort vs. Bryant

I could see all three hanging onto the end of NBA rosters, but I don't really like any of them to become anything more than limited back-up 5's and with where the market is right now with bigs, I don't see the point in investing in any of the three. Thomas Bryant might be the only one due to rare combination of size + shooting, but hip mobility and lack of rim protection instincts are in need of serious improvement.

DJ Wilson vs. Harry Giles

I think both will flame out for different reasons but offer enough intrigue to be worth a shot as late 1st round picks.

Wilson: soft, not dynamic enough offensively, lacks foot speed/twitch to be a versatile switch big on D
    Giles: Injuries, skill level offensively, limited defensive upside if he doesn't bounce back athletically

TJ Leaf vs. Tyler Lydon

TJ is a little more dynamic offensively and I like his mental better, but both peak as situational stretch 4's (4th-5th big) due to strength/defensive issues and if they aren't Ryan Anderson...are they playable players in a playoff series? I don't think so.

Conclusion: I don't want any of them on the Blazers next year.

5. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily agree with this. I think he compares very favorably to Z-Bo. I'd be thrilled to draft Caleb with the last pick.

6. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Different kind of athlete's. Zbo, even in college had quick, nimble footwork and although he never was a leaper he was quick and twitchy around the rim. Caleb more often than not beats players with power and is just more of a lumbering player overall.

lawai'a likes this.
  7. BonesJones

You think every first round prospect is trash lol.

Every prospects gonna have weaknesses... They're 19 and 20 year olds.

8. BonesJones

So DJ Wilson will flame out because he's "soft" and can't switch into guards. Okay haha.

9. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do. You don't have to agree with me, but I don't think be brings enough to the table to be more than an end of the bench guy if he can't do those things.

10. BonesJones

Lol. He's extremely athletic and can shoot. Has touch around the rim, and will probably we a decent defender. Those dudes stick.

In the deepest draft in years, you still find a way to think that every 1st round prospect outside of the Top 10 is trash.

11. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I understand that, but some will improve and some won't. Just because a guy is young, doesn't mean he's going to get to the level needed to become valuable rotation players. It's why there are only 15 or so guys each year that get there.

Basically, I'd rather form a pretty hard line opinion on what these guys will ultimately be so I have something look back on to see if I was right or wrong. That's what makes all of this fun, for me anyways.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    PtldPlatypus likes this.
  12. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Ike Anigbogu vs Bam Adebayo

13. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    If Anigbogu has elite shot blocker potential than I'd love to grab him with one of our picks

BonesJones and TBpup like this.
  14. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd take Ike over Bam as well. Early on I thought Bam had a chance to be pretty versatile defensively. I still think he can guard the pnr well, but he's not Tristan Thompson level as far as a space/switch defender.

I wouldn't take either before #26 though and there is still a few guys I like better at that spot.

BonesJones likes this.
  15. BonesJones

Who do you like better?

16. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

For us...

Dozier / Pasecniks / Motley / Diallo / Jeanne

17. BonesJones

You like Dozier at 26? That's way too high. I like Dozier too but not at 26. The others I see the appeal...

Except for Anzejs. Why Pasecniks? He's tall but doesn't really have any strengths.

18. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

He's raw with potential. Has a decent jumper, good mobility, great hands. In short he's not super skinny like Jeanne, but he's also not a stiff like many other players their height. I'd love to see what practicing against Nurkic could do for him.

19. BonesJones

Yeah I don't know. He seems soft to me, and his jumper hasnt been proven over a large sample size. Probably can't guard anyone but 5s either, and he's not a naturally good defender. Doesn't seen like an immediate rim protector and he'll get moved in the low post.

20. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    There's a million draft threads, and no doubt many people have expressed the same view elsewhere, but Lonzo Ball strikes me as having high bust potential. He's got a bad body and a bad shot. Love the passing, but I think he'll end up like D'Angelo Russell or even OJ Mayo.

BonesJones likes this.