OT Pyramids of Giza and Pizza Hut

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by The Professional Fan, Jan 22, 2020.

1. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

Listening to Primetime club hour and they're talking about the pyramids of Giza and how Giza has encroached all the way up to the pyramids which I thought was really interesting. I always pictured the pyramids in the middle of a vast desert.

They're now talking about places visited that may be famous or a landmark or simply something you were looking forward to and it was nothing like you thought it was going to be like and you ended up disappointed. Anyone have an experience like that?

Aerial view of Giza and the pyramids. Blew my mind.
    [​IMG]

From inside a pizza hut across the street
    [​IMG]

My minds eye
    [​IMG]

Chris Craig, PDXFonz and Propagandist like this.
  2. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Tried to post a link to a Google Maps 360 panorama of the pyramid area. Pretty cool, but the link doesn't seem to work.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  3. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

I thought Maui was whatevz. Same with most spots in Mexico

Propagandist likes this.
  4. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

You pictured it like I pictured it. Weird.

I’ll tell you I’ve had the opposite happen TWICE in the last year. Lisbon was way way cooler than I expected. Same with New York City.

The Professional Fan likes this.
  5. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

The ancient Egyptians had knowledge of electricity, electrical power, and electrical current.

6. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I'd seen the Pizza Hut picture before but the aerial one is not coming to memory. It is crazy to think about just how much we've populated the globe. One day the pyramids were as we see it in our minds eye as you said, but we've changed that. Sometimes I think about what I believe we are doing here in life and what this is and I think about our globalization/population growth and how it is a big part of it. I think it's fair to say that history shapes us, but I believe the truth is that what really drives us forward is the desire to grow into the future, like workers doing a job everyone who has come before and everyone who will come again is part of growing towards that ultimate goal. I'm not sure what that goal even is, but I'd bet that peace has a lot to do with it. Has not been much peace throughout history and isn't much now, but there have been moments.

I took this humanities class a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Towards the end of the term the professor started talking about symbols and signs for company logos, sports logos, and what not (the class had a big focus on architecture and how it has been adopted from history; how we see Greek influenced architecture used heavily in the USA). The message he gave stuck with me and opened my eyes a bit, and that message was this "Pay attention to the signs and symbols around you, they have significance". It's easy to see ourselves as evolved 'past' historical cultures, but I think that is an ignorant belief. There's something very intriguing to me about ancient Greek philosophy and the works that came from that whole era, Homer and the Illyad, the Odyssey, and the impact of the Italian Renaissance period as well.

It's also really easy to look at situations in your own community, state, country and forget about how large the world really is. You could even say the realization of the Pyramids being so encroached by society is akin to the realization that ish is both messed up and wonderful everywhere. Even during times of war there are blessings and happiness abound.

7. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I’ve always thought of the pyramids as being majestic and isolated. The novel The Alchemist helped romanticize that notion for me but once I saw how much society has encroached on them, it really took away that imagery.

Propagandist likes this.