Notice R.I.P. Jim Bouton/ Ball Four

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by cagedlion, Jul 11, 2019.

1. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

Jim Bouton has died of complications to dementia. He pitched for the Yankees.
    Wrote the book “Ball Four” which was an open book to the realities of ballplayers
    and was banned for over 30 years by the Yankee admintration. He told the truth.
    Yankees made amends in 1998. Mr. Bouton was real and one funny guy.
    Condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Mattingly23NY likes this.
  2. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Per Celebrity Net Worth id one is to believe in the accuracy of such Bouton was at the 40 million dollar mark. I read Ball Four and one update and frankly was not surprised that ball players smoke, drank, and chased women. I was also not surprised to hear that ball players, coaches, and managers swore. I viewed his book as one that "dropped the dime" then let it pass. The edition of Ball Four that described a Boston Pitcher who threw bushel baskets of split oranges at a "different" mans butt for pay was a funny story.. The man lived in the Back Bay area and that event happened but I'm sure that if the pitcher doing that had caught up with Bouton old Jim may have gotten his ass whipped for telling that. Bouton had two great years with the Yankees than started slip sliding away. Same with Cansec, didn't get those 500 bombs or a HOF spot so he dropped the dime on MLB players. Though I did not care for Bouton or Joe Pepitones actions they both have a long way to go to out scum bad A-hole.

3. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    Personally I thought Ball 4 was a insightful Classic MLB book, a tell all and humorous too. But- I never agreed with his views of the South and its peope, i.e. "I could never see a Nuclear Scientist as a Southerner". That's worse than his defamation of the Confederate Flag imo...

"The older they get, the better they get when they were younger " (J.Bouton)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    cagedlion likes this.