R.I.P. John McCain

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by cagedlion, Aug 25, 2018.

1. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

One of America’s true heroes. This man always believed in ‘country first’. Truly the epitome of the highest
    standards of what the Republican Party should be.....not what it is today! He was bigger than party. He was
    profile in courage. He knew how to work across the aisle and got results. I will miss this grand man.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  2. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Mc Cain served his country well reflecting the highest standards of Military And Civil Service. This U.S. Army veteran accords you the finest salute with utmost respect. You were a great American Senator Mc Cain, may you RIP.

Mattingly23NY and cagedlion like this.
  3. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...damn, damn, damn.

...a true patriot...a true hero.

4. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    ^^^^... to all the above~!!

McCain was the epitome of a Patriot.
    His POW story is one amazing historical piece of Americanna...
    He'd of made a damn fine POTUS, imho, his only miscue was having Palin on His ticket, which cost him the 2008 Election. A highly decorated Serviceman/Soldier whom also was as highly decorated for his work in the Senate...

Regardless, he was one of few Senator's whom I felt set the bar for all to follow....

McCain's capture and subsequent imprisonment occurred on October 26, 1967. He was flying his 23rd bombing mission over North Vietnam when his A-4E Skyhawk was shot down by a missile over Hanoi.McCain fractured both arms and a leg when he ejected from the aircraft, and nearly drowned after he parachuted into Truc Bach Lake. Some North Vietnamese pulled him ashore, then others crushed his shoulder with a rifle butt and bayoneted him.McCain was then transported to Hanoi's main Hoa Lo Prison, nicknamed the "Hanoi Hilton".

Although McCain was seriously wounded and injured, his captors refused to treat him. They beat and interrogated him to get information, and he was given medical care only when the North Vietnamese discovered that his father was an admiral. His status as a (POW) made the front pages of major newspapers.

McCain spent six weeks in the hospital, where he received marginal care. He had lost 50 pounds, was in a chest cast, and his gray hair had turned as white as snow. McCain was sent to a different camp on the outskirts of Hanoi. In December 1967, McCain was placed in a cell with two other Americans who did not expect him to live more than a week. In March 1968, McCain was placed into solitary confinement, where he would remain for two years.

In mid-1968, his father John S. McCain Jr. was named commander of all U.S. forces in the Vietnam theater, and the North Vietnamese offered McCain early release because they wanted to appear merciful for propaganda purposes, and also to show other POWs that elite prisoners were willing to be treated preferentially. McCain refused repatriation unless every man taken in before him was also released. Such early release was prohibited by the POWs' interpretation of the military Code of Conduct which states in Article III: "I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy". To prevent the enemy from using prisoners for propaganda, officers were to agree to be released in the order in which they were captured.

Beginning in August 1968, McCain was subjected to a program of severe torture. He was bound and beaten every two hours; this punishment occurred at the same time that he was suffering from Dysentery. Further injuries brought McCain to "the point of suicide," but his preparations were interrupted by guards. Eventually, McCain made an anti-U.S. propaganda "confession". He had always felt that his statement was dishonorable, but as he later wrote, "I had learned what we all learned over there: every man has his breaking point. I had reached mine." Many U.S. POWs were tortured and maltreated in order to extract "confessions" and propaganda statements; virtually all of them eventually yielded something to their captors. McCain received two to three beatings weekly because of his continued refusal to sign additional statements.

McCain refused to meet various anti-war groups seeking peace in Hanoi, wanting to give neither them nor the North Vietnamese a propaganda victory. From late 1969, treatment of McCain and many of the other POWs became more tolerable, while McCain continued actively to resist the camp authorities. McCain and other prisoners cheered the U.S. "Christman Bombing" Campaign of December 1972, viewing it as a forceful measure to push North Vietnam to terms.

McCain was a prisoner of war in North Vietnam for five and a half years until his release on March 14, 1973. His wartime injuries left him permanently incapable of raising his arms above his head

McCain was insulted from our pos POTUS. I imagine had Trumpsky of spent 2 of his 5 1/2 yrs in solitary confinement in the Hanoi Hilton; he (Trump) would be selling Yo-Yo's to this day in Saigon...McCain deserved the highest honor one could bestow upon the Man; who was nothing short of a National Treasure .... Imo, #45 should of hung The Medal of Honor around his neck, prior to his passing... McCain's Medals, as much the Honor's bestowed upon him were mind boggling...

2-flags.gif

While generally adhering to Conservative principles, McCain also had a media reputation as a "maverick" for his willingness to disagree with his party on certain issues. After being investigated and largely exonerated in a political influence scandal of the 1980s as a member of the Keating Five, he made campaing finance reform one of his signature concerns, which eventually resulted in passage of the McCain-Feingold Act in 2002. No wonder Trumpsky insulted McCain...

cagedlion likes this.
  5. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    When Trump stated that he "knew more than the Generals" and insulted McCain's time spent as a POW I took that as a "trickle down insult to every Jill & Joe that served in the Armed Forces of this country. This from a man who dodged the draft himself.

Mattingly23NY likes this.
  6. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

7. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

8. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

What a petty, sniveling lout is trumpET............not able to call John McCain a hero. He has more ways to diminish
    himself as a human being.

Mattingly23NY likes this.