Randolph Arrested With DUI

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by jbbKing James, Dec 2, 2003.

1. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">PORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland Trail Blazers forward Zach Randolph has been charged with driving under the influence of intoxicants after his arrest early Tuesday by a police officer who said he smelled marijuana in Randolph's car, authorities said.

Randolph was stopped about 2 a.m. in north Portland by an officer who "noted a strong odor of burning marijuana coming from the vehicle," said Sgt. Cheryl Robinson, a Portland Police Bureau spokeswoman.

Randolph was also cited for failure to drive within a lane, for not having an Oregon driver's license and for driving without insurance, Robinson said.

"Certainly if it turns out that the tests are not what we'd like to see, then, as I said, there will be consequences," team president Steve Patterson said.

Randolph was taken to the Multnomah County jail, where he was "very cooperative with our deputies, [saying] 'Yes sir, no sir,' " said Multnomah County sheriff's Lt. Mike Shults. "He went through it without any incident."

Randolph was released from jail at 5:13 a.m., Shults said.

The misdemeanor charge carries a potential sentence of up to one year in jail and up to a $5,000 fine, if convicted, Shults said.

Arraignment was set for Dec. 30 in Multnomah County Circuit Court.</div>

Full Story

------------------------

Amazing! This kid was doing so well. There goes the All-Star game for him I believe. The JailBlazers just keep on truckin'.

2. dee still ballin

dee still ballin JBB JustBBall Member

Goodness! What is wrong with these NBA players today? Wasnt he just arrested for Underage Drinking?

3. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Yea, there goes the All Star game and probably at least a 10 game suspension if he get's tested positive for marajuan, maybe more. I'm not completely sure on the leagues drug policy and how many games the suspension is, but, no doubt, the Blazers will probably tack on more after the league does their thing. But, yea, a great season just took a huge u-turn for him. But, the league will do what they have to do and it will be the right thing. Maybe, a thought, but, drug rehab possibly for him. Who knows. We'll see what actions are taken here in the coming days.

4. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Maurice Cheeks deserves so much better than he's gotten from his players since he took over. Very disappointing by Randolph.

5. Butter

Butter JBB Blood Sugar Baby

One word: JAILBLAZERS

Im just as shocked as anyone. This guy is doing incredilbe this year but now look at this. This hopefully will not affect his team.

-Im getting suspicious with Portland's team. Is it just ironic that they all get in trouble, or are they like more of a gang instead of a team?

6. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

The Trailblazers have so much talent. These guys just keep amazing me. I really do feel sorry for Cheeks. Once he finally feels he has a grasp on this team, someone else lets him down. He is doing a hell of job to keep the "jailblazers" a team.

7. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting The Answer:</div><div class="quote_post">This hopefully will not affect his team.</div>

[​IMG] . Of course it is going to affect his team!

It would have been a great confidence booster for them to be able to beat Indiana. Without Randolph (I doubt he'll play), the task of JO will be left mostly to Sheed (and Cheeks has been making him come off the bench lately). It would have been great to watch Sheed and Randolph tag-team JO on offense, and shut him down on D.

But about the actual issue here: Randolph's behavior is inexcusable. Obviously the article couldn't specify what "intoxicant" he was on, but it doesn't really matter. I have little respect for individuals who get behind the wheel when under any influence.

He won't get jail time, but I hope he gets a significant punishment.

8. Butter

Butter JBB Blood Sugar Baby

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG] . Of course it is going to affect his team!

It would have been a great confidence booster for them to be able to beat Indiana. Without Randolph (I doubt he'll play), the task of JO will be left mostly to Sheed (and Cheeks has been making him come off the bench lately). It would have been great to watch Sheed and Randolph tag-team JO on offense, and shut him down on D.

But about the actual issue here: Randolph's behavior is inexcusable. Obviously the article couldn't specify what "intoxicant" he was on, but it doesn't really matter. I have little respect for individuals who get behind the wheel when under any influence.

He won't get jail time, but I hope he gets a significant punishment.</div>

It was a joke. I know he isnt gonna get time in prison.

9. ~Fatality~

~Fatality~ JBB JustBBall Member

This is starting to get rediculas.

10. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Randolph's always been fond of illegal drugs and booze. I am not sure why all of you guys are so shocked. Maybe I just get more expossure of Randolph being a Michigan State fan and having my personal run-ins with him.

11. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">Randolph's always been fond of illegal drugs and booze.</div>

What is your point exactly? I could care less if he drinks and/or smokes. I care about the fact that he got behind the wheel after doing so. He isn't in trouble for being intoxicated, he is in trouble for doing it while driving. I think you missed the point of the article.

12. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">What is your point exactly? I could care less if he drinks and/or smokes. I care about the fact that he got behind the wheel after doing so. He isn't in trouble for being intoxicated, he is in trouble for doing it while driving. I think you missed the point of the article.</div>No, I did not miss the point of the article. I think you missed the point of my first point as I did not make it clear enough, so here it is plain and simple. While we should be concerned that he is breaking the law, we shouldn't be shocked or surprised because he has been notorious for breaking the law.

13. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Terrible development for Randolph and the Blazers. Randolph was having a monster season and now he has set himself, and the Blazers back. He will get a slap on the wrist and a hefty suspension. The NBA has had to deal with players involved in altercations the entire off-season and have done a terrible job of stepping up and taking action against repeated offenders and players found guilty in these situations. The Blazer franchise desperately needs to do something to improve this situation. They have had all of their star players involved in marijuana and firearms, dating all the way back to the JR Rider cell phone days. I'm not sure who's responsibility it is to intervene, Blazers owner? Players Union? or David Stern?, but something needs to be done to preven this from happening again.

14. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

He's hanging out with Damon too much. They are wasting their talents. Kids nowadays...