Randolph starts blazing new trail

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by nikebasketball, Jan 20, 2004.

1. nikebasketball

nikebasketball JBB JustBBall Member

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/...-randolph_x.htm

By Roscoe Nance, USA TODAY
    First-year starter Zach Randolph has emerged as the Portland Trail Blazers' most consistent player after languishing on their talent-laden bench most of his first two seasons in the league. The power forward is in the top 10 in the league in five major statistical categories, and he has established himself as an All-Star-caliber player.

[​IMG]
    Trail Blazers' Zach Randolph is one of five NBA players averaging at least 20 points and 10 rebounds.

His 21.6 points and 11.2 rebounds make him one of five players averaging at least 20 points and 10 rebounds. All-Stars Kevin Garnett (24.4 points, 13.9 rebounds going into Monday's games), Tim Duncan (22.2 points, 12.7 rebounds), Shaquille O'Neal (20.0 points, 11.6 rebounds) and Jermaine O'Neal (20.7 points, 10.6 rebounds) are the others.

"This is just the way I've always played," Randolph says. "I just play hard, and I want to win."

Randolph's strengths are his soft shooting touch and his knack for being around the ball when it comes off the backboard.

"He's very unique in that he does not have a lot of athleticism," says ESPN NBA analyst Bill Walton, who fell in love with Randolph's game when he first met him playing with Michigan State in the 2001 Final Four against Arizona and Walton's son Luke. "He doesn't have a perfectly sculpted body, and he doesn't jump real high, which are requisites for today's NBA.

"But he can play basketball. He's got skill. He's got touch. He thinks a solid game. He's a breath of fresh air."

Randolph has supplanted Rasheed Wallace as the Blazers' leading scorer. Wallace, subject of rampant trade rumors, has led Portland in scoring the last four seasons.

"This is a guy who has become a monster in the league," Memphis Grizzlies coach Hubie Brown says of Randolph. "Not only is he playing big on the glass, he's a go-to-guy for them now. He's a major presence because of his high field goal percentage. He's at the top of his game."

2. nikeybarnes

nikeybarnes JBB JustBBall Member

Gotta show some luv to your post and Zack. My Man is playing his heart out. Nice to see him slim down some to. He is beasting on the boards.

3. Anzix

Anzix JBB JustBBall Member

Yah Z-BO has really impressed me this year and I am very happy to have I'm on this team. I think one of the reasons he has some of the best shooting percentages is because he mostly always shoots the ball because he is very confident. As where Rasheed will pass more then shoot because he wants to get everyone else on the team into the game. That?s why I credit Rasheed for helping Z-BO grow. I also think Zack worked his ass off in summer league and he will continue to grow and become better.