Ranger players

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by cagedlion, Oct 23, 2017.

1. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

Players must have short memory problems. They have reverted back to their old ways by allowing
    the opposition a goal within the first 3 minutes of the first period, When will this team learn?

2. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Lundqvist allows a pathetic goal and it's 2-0.

3. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Every game now he seems to give up one. And can Kreider ever take the puck to the net instead of shooting at no angle?

4. Rangers94

Rangers94 Well-Known Member

Hank has been letting in soft goals for 2-3 years now. Thus far this year it’s been a nightly occurrence though. Doesn’t matter when our defense can’t stop anyone and our offense can’t hit water if it fell out of a boat.

5. cagedlion

And what will continue to be the ever familiar revolving door in moving players, after another less than
    enthusiastic loss, Rangers decided to send Anthony DeAngelo down to Hartford and put Cracknell on
    waivers. Does Gorton know anything about player personnel?......or is he just playing crapshoot?

6. cagedlion

^^^^and with those moves, Gorton recalls.........are you ready?.........Boo Nieves. I wonder how long
    he’ll be up with the Rangers? With AV as head coach ,I’d say not long! LOL :MARIS61:

7. Ranger71

May as well see what Nieves can do for a stretch. I wouldn't mind seeing Gropp at some point even though he's still a bit young. Too bad Fogarty's hurt as he's another guy who could be a good 4th liner in time.

8. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Cracknell was a stupid signing to begin with so good riddance, DeAngelo has been brutal, if he had some size I could see letting him work things through but he seems overmatched. The Rangers have 6 points in 10 games, normally need to finish mid 90's to make playoffs, still early but AV needs to get this team going.

9. Messiah717

A lot of this started with the idea that you can trade away a guy like Stepan with no means of replacing him. Moving others up doesn't fill the hole left by his departure.

10. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

To me I see two big concerns.

1. Gorton dropped the ball by not adding a C to replace Stepan. Didn't need to be a stud, just needed to be a solid top 9 C to pair with Ziban and Hayes. Clearly a dropped ball by Gorton, and it is hurting us.
    2. Hank getting old and now being just a solid goalie overall. He is no longer going to be THE reason we win games and are competitive game after game. No knock him because he has been a stud for years, but time catches up with everyone and that's the way it is now.

I believe in the D and believe we have enough options there that we will get better there. I believe Gorton can still rectify # 1 and add the top 9 C we need. Sadly # 2 could be our biggest concern over the long haul. Can Hank still play well enough to take us a long way. I truly don't know that answer.

11. Ranger71

Should've found a way to get Bozak. Putting eggs in the basket on Andersson or Chytil making it was very risky. Perhaps Toronto wasn't all that intent on dealing him so maybe that wasn't really an option.

12. cagedlion

Gorton and staff have waited too long to move certain players & have given exorbitant contracts which has
    limited his signing a top C. He has created a roster mess. And now AV has to navigate this group.
    Good luck!

13. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Said it many times. Signing Smith was moronic if they thought there was any chance of signing Shattenkirk. I would think Toronto would have to have interest in a guy like Smith if he would go there. Their defenseman are atrocious. They can't play any defense on that team. I would be more than happy to trade him for Martin and a second round pick. Rangers actually need to build a 4th line that can hit somebody and chip in a few goals. They should have signed Martin when he was a UFA. Toronto needs Smith a heck of a lot more than Martin. Then the Rangers could bring up Graves which is long overdue.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  14. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Hard for me to kill Gorton on Smith because he didn't know we'd be signing Shatt. Given the deal Shatt signed for I would venture to say when we resigned Smith Gorton thought no shot we'd get Shatt if what we signed him for was going to be our best offer. So to me that one is timing and the way it worked out yes we didn't need Smith also, money could have been used for a C, but I truly believe Gorton thought no way we'd sign Shatt.

As for Graves, I hear you on him, but as a LD there is no spot for him right now. McDonagh, Skjei and Staal are all LD and that's the trio on the left side. Staal has actually been pretty solid so far. And it is clear they do not want to play McD on the right side for the long haul. So to me it is a numbers games on Graves and the left side.

Overall though there is no doubt we can use some grit on D and on the 4th line. It's a concern now. In todays NHL you don't need a team full of them, but you do need a dman or two and a forward or two that have an edge and some grit, and we have none. That's AV's stamp on the team, and I am sure he's in Gorton's ear saying get me speed and offense. That's a concern to me. We have lacked grit for pretty much AV's whole time here, on D and upfront.

15. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

I would love martin on our 4th line but playing for a pacifist like AV will pussify him quickly.

16. kreidertime

Possibly but it didn't for Glass. Plus, Gorton should put AV on notice and tell him the team is going to get tougher and he better accept it or he's gone. Not a fan of Nieves but maybe he can be decent as a 4th line center. I think something will happen. I think if the offer is right, Kreider is on the market. I would do Kreider for Reinhart and a 1st. Or Kreider for Galchenyuk and a first. The first has to be coming back. At the least Kreider has elite speed and is one of the top 3 players in the league at standing in front and creating screens. You can't move him. Those 2 players are elite at nothing. Will they do that? Remember what I say. 95% of GM's are morons. Lou proved that with his Schneider deal. If he didn't make that deal, the Devils might have had McDavid.

17. kreidertime

On a more positive note. Gudas finally got what was coming to him. However, as always. Flyers fans will think he won the fight.

18. Messiah717

Superman punch!

19. cagedlion

Wouldn’t it be hilarious that ex-Ranger Derek Stepan returns to the Garden tonight and he scores
    the winning goal to give the Yotes their first victory of the year! Such a scenario will tell Ranger fans
    what kind of season lies ahead! :smiley-lol_hitting:

20. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Cage, I think ranger fas already know what kind of season this is going to be. One without playoffs, shortly an interim coach in ruff for the rest of the season and then hopefully a young up and coming coach for the future. In the meantime as the season goes on move as many players that still have value that don't fit into the rangers future for draft picks or young prospects as possible. Would be great if gorton could figure out a way to get hank to accept a trade to somewhere he wants to go and a team that wants him so we can get the russian kid over here to start a new chapter.