Rangers acquire Brendan Smith

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by strudwickisthebest, Feb 28, 2017.

1. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

For a 2, 3 in 2017, that's a lot for a rental who is not a huge difference maker

They must plan on resigning him

2. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Yes. I like him a lot and he fills a need, but if we dont resign him this is too much.

Next offseason Shattenkirk - Smith in, Girardi - Klein out. Only about a 1m difference for a huge upgrade.

EDIT (not counting what G's buyout hit will be)

3. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

I'll be very surprised if we can sign both Smith and Shatty. Doubtful IMO. But I'll worry about that in July. For now I like the move.

The Wings had very good 5 on 5 shot #'s when Smith was on ice, and he played many roles on a questionable Wings team. He is a good fit and adds some size (6'1" and near 200 lbs.) and toughness on the back end. L shot, but can play the right side.

Smith, 28, has 2 goals and 3 assists in 33 games this season while averaging 18:44 per game.

In 291 career games, Smith has 15 goals and 52 assists with an average of 17:00 per game.

In his career, when Smith is on the ice the Red Wings have had 54.9% of the shot attempts at 5 on 5.

Smith is a UFA after the season and has a cap hit of $2.75 million and an actual salary of $3.25 million.

Smith is a left shot defenseman and played two-years at Wisconsin with Derek Stepan and three-years with Ryan McDonagh.

4. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Something tells me Smith is going to be good here. However, I'll be pissed if they don't deal Klein and get those types of picks back.

5. RangersFan

Sounds like a 3rd in 2017 and a 2nd in 2018 since Carolina has our 2nd in 2017. We keep our 1st, which is good.

Wonder if we are done or if we try and add another piece. I would guess done, but who knows.

6. RangersFan

I could see Klein getting dealt this summer for a pick or two heading into his last season under contract. Only way we can afford both Smith and Shatty is deal Klein, and buyout Girardi. We'll see.

7. RangersFan

To me this will come down to the Rangers balanced O and Hank. The D with Smith added is improved. And if the O does what they are supposed to do, we should be good to go and have a great shot to move through the Atlantic bracket.

McD/Smith/Skjei/Girardi/Klein/Staal/Holden is a decent 7. The dmen for the Pens last season weren't dominant, outside of Letang, but they got through because they scored and Murray.

Our O, special teams, and Hank will decide it. That D is solid enough IMO.

8. RangersFan

Let's also remember the Rangers still have a 2nd rounder in 2018 as they had two...their own and Ottawa's in the Ziban deal. So still a full 2018 draft. No 2nd or 3rd in 2017 draft.

9. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any way they can sign both even with G and Klein gone, but if Graves is ready that's a cheap fill on the cap. What happens now when both return from injury, do they send Clendening to the AHL and sit Klein? Maybe deal him in the next 24?

10. RangersFan

I agree, long shot to add both, but read they will have discussions with Smith...we'll see. That is a late June topic...:).

Not sure who the odd man out will be. Gives AV options now though if G or Klein struggle. I personally would hold Klein for now. To add Smith just to deal Klein kind of defeats the purpose. Sure Smith is better, but it isn't so much of a gap that I wouldn't want both for some solid depth, which is always needed in the SC playoffs.

11. Ranger71

Clendening will probably be shuttled around or traded. Wonder if they could get the 3rd back for him.

12. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I'm interested to see if they Rangers are able to move anyone in the next 24 hours for even a pick. Then again with some injuries now they might want to keep what they have for now and wait for the summer.

13. RangersFan

Only guy I would deal is Clendening. I don't see a reason to deal Klein now.

Maybe you can get a 4th or 5th for him.

14. Ranger71

That's probably their thinking, just keep all bodies for now and sort it out later.

15. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

isn't 2017 supposed to be a weak draft?

16. RangersFan

Yes, I heard very weak. So not too concerned, and we have a 1st. 2018 is a deep draft, and we have a full group of picks right now.

17. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Hate this deal. Gave up way too much for smith. Klein has been so bad this year and now injured again will not bring much back at this point if anything. Wish gorton would have just stood pat if this was going to be the result. The defense still stinks and now were out a couple of more low draft picks.

18. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

I think you are under-estimating Smith though. Detroit is in shambles. This guy should flourish here. I don't trust Klein or Staal to stay healthy and putting Clendening out there vs. Pitt, Wash or Columbus is death because he's atrocious defensively.

McDonagh-Smith
    Skei-Holden
    Staal-Klein\Girardi

I think the plan here is to severely limit the minutes of Staal, Klein and Girardi down the stretch.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  19. RangersFan

I will disagree with you about the D still stinks. Clearly not a dominant unit, but 1-7 they are solid, and have depth, and with our forward depth and Hank I will take my chances.

Respectfully, some of you guys treat unknown picks like they are sure to be NHL players and studs. We are talking about picks in the 50's and 70's. Let's settle down with how much we gave up.

And we could resign Smith. And with G out for 2 weeks and Klein day to day we needed a D upgrade IMO.

Let's keep perspective on what we gave up. And Smith can be a good player for us here.

I agree with kreider...:).

20. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Wow, Chuck agreeing with Dump. Now theres a story. Ha ha ha