Rangers should be mild sellers at the deadline

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Feb 3, 2017.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

It is obvious they have failed miserably vs. the top teams in the league this year. Nash, Klein, Pirri and perhaps Holden. I think Holden's value is sky high. Doubtful they could move Staal. Graves is ready. I think Holden brings back perhaps a late first and a good prospect or a second and a top prospect. He's having a great year and is dirt cheap next year as well. Defenseman who are playing great with cheap contracts bring back a ton at the deadline. I think the Rangers want to keep Grabner and they badly need to. Holden is the type of player the Rangers have held onto and it was a mistake. They never sell high. They need to if they can't dump Staal. Maple Leafs defenseman suck. They have 3 second round picks. I could see Holden to the Leafs for the Sens, Sharks second round picks and Rychel. Holden is going to cost a ton. Rangers should move him. No questions asked especially when they have Graves to replace him.

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Holden's on a pretty nice contract so i think they'll at least keep him through the end of it. And if they hopefully lose Klein and Girardi and replace their spots with Shattenkirk and Graves that's suddenly a better, and cheaper D. Maybe Staal finds it in him to give another decent few years.

3. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

How long are we going to pretend the expansion draft doesnt exist? Each team must expose one defenseman under contract for 2017-18 who played at least 40 games this season or 70 combined last year and this. Can only protect 3. McDonagh is not getting exposed. Staal and Girardi are protected via NMC. Skjei is exempt. Clendending's games played wont qualify him. WE HAVE TO EXPOSE EITHER HOLDEN OR KLEIN.

We cannot trade both Holden and Klein because we won't have a defenseman to expose that meets the requirements.

I would trade Holden for sure for the reasons you set forth above. Just like I wanted to trade Klein long ago. But we absolutely have to keep one, unless for some reason Girardi or Staal waive their NMC.

EDIT: I guess there's always the possibility we could trade for a guy just to expose him, but that risks us being stuck with his contract if he isnt chosen as the player has to be under contract for the following year. Not sure we want to take that risk.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  4. Ranger71

And let's face it, with the way Klein has declined i don't see any way LV picks him. There have to be at least 7 guys better they will find. If they don't add a midrange guy in the next month i think just aiming to lose Klein and G in the offseason is the main goal.

5. kreidertime

I think Holden to Toronto brings back a lot. A move they have to make.

6. Ranger71

Possible i guess..maybe you'd get a 2nd and B prospect. They'd essentially be packing this year in for all intents.

7. kreidertime

Nah. A lot more than a 2nd and a B prospect. Holden is playing lights out this year.

8. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

The Rangers need to move salary - $2.5 mil under the cap with 6 RFAs on the current roster . Zban's contract alone will eat most of that up next year. Hank ($8.5m cap hit), Nash $7.8, Step $6.5, Staal $5.7, Girardi $5.5, McD $4.7, Zucc $4.5, Vesey $3.75. One or two of these guys have to go. I think they have to keep Holden $1.65m to have cap room next year. Clendening is an RFA and at $600K, should be able to resign him for a reasonable salary with Graves at $650K.

9. kreidertime

Holden will go to rebuild the farm. They probably will trade him in the off-season though. Nash is the likely guy to get dealt as he has one year left on his contract. However, almost all contenders have no cap room.

10. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

As long as they have Hank I do t think they are selling anyone they believe can help them win.

11. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

12. kreidertime

That thinking is why they are getting farther away from a title every year. You have to take a step back to take steps forward sometimes. So far this organization is too dumb to grasp that.

13. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

I think they should just play it down the middle. Look to add a RD if they can for not a top pick, and let the chips fall where they may.

We have the depth and talent upfront, that's for sure. We have a goalie who in theory is top level, 6 of the last 7 games allowed 2 goals or less. Looks like we have an excellent shot to get the right playoff spot, top WC and move into the Atlantic bracket. We need an upgrade on D to be legit.

If Gorton can get it done without giving up a top pick, go for it. If not sit tight and let the chips fall where they may IMO.

Then this summer I think the next phase of the reboot happens (this past summer was phase 1). Nash with only 1 year left could be gone. Girardi will be gone for sure. Good shot Shattenkirk will be here.

So to me, see how it goes as is or with a minor RD move, and then take the next reboot step this summer.

14. kreidertime

Staal might retire due to concussions. He's had some tough injuries. Honestly, I wouldn't blame him if he retired.

15. kreidertime

I think it would be a enormous mistake for them not to sell super high on Holden. Especially, with Graves ready. He's a guy I could easily see regressing next season. He's not young either. Toronto picked up a defenseman Detroit cut. That's how desperate they are for D help. It's time to fleece them. Lou is senile and has been incompetent for years. He is old and is desperate to get that team in the playoffs.

16. Ranger71

If they buyout Girardi his cap hit for the next 6y would be 2.6 3.6 3.6 1.1 1.1 1.1 so that would save 3 alone next year. I can see any of Pirri, Puempel or Clendening being traded at some point or included in any deal in a few weeks. I actually hope they keep Puempel around.

17. kreidertime

Puempel could be interesting. I agree. I do believe the rumors that Carolina is shopping Fault. Given the choice of him or Shattenkirk I would take Faulk. I seriously believe Stepan is a guy they will look to make a big deal with at the deadline. I don't think they want to expose Fast or Grabner at the expansion draft. I don't think they want anything to do with Stepan's NMC next year. Trading Stepan in a Faulk deal would give them all kind of leverage with Shattenkirk. Or simply the choice to not sign him. Faulk like Yandle has his defensive faults but his offense is much better. I think Stepan for Faulk straight up is a good deal for both teams. Carolina is deep on D on the farm but weak with forward depth.

I also think Hanzal who is a UFA next year would be a great rental piece at the right price. He's a beast on draws and his defense would help when facing the Crosby's in the playoffs. He's having a crap year like all the Yotes are. I suspect a deal like Wall, Nieves and Pirri would be all I would offer. Maybe also throw in a player like Jensen. That's it. No picks. However, it's the NHL. I'm sure some team is dumb enough to offer a lot more.

I also wonder if they might consider dealing Stepan for a Little and have the Jets add. Little is 56% on draws. He's 29, two years left on his contract after this season. He's a righty shot. Perhaps Stepan for Little, a 2nd next season. Gives the Rangers more flexibility with the cap and future signings.

18. Ranger71

I always liked Little and think he's somewhat underrated. I though about Hanzal though I bet Phoenix would ask for Lindberg back. And what happened to TB this year, they seemed to be built for the playoffs for the next 5y? Now i read they're looking to move Boyle and maybe Johnson or Palat. Bishop will probably be gone to Dallas or St.L. And let's not even talk about Callahans remaining deal.