Ranking the CB's

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Chutney, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I've always found this position one of the most difficult to evaluate because, after a certain point, statistics get completely taken out of the equation (when QB's stop throwing in their direction). It means that the only way to really get an idea of how good these guys are is by actually watching them, and even then its hard because we don't get the view in the filmroom (we're totally dependent on studio replays). That said, I figured it'd be interesting to give it a try.

I think we can all agree on the first spot:

1. Nnamdi Asomugha

After that it gets a bit more muddled, so I figured I'd just list what I think/hear are the best CB's (unranked) and we can try to rank the top 10. If you think a player need to be added/removed, go ahead and explain why.

- Darrelle Revis
    - Charles Woodson
    - Corey Webster
    - Asante Samuels
    - Nate Clements
    - Terrance Newman
    - Champ Bailey
    - Marcus Trufant
    - Quentin Jammer

Keep in mind I didn't rank those last 9 players. I might give it a shot soon enough.

2. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

In past years I would argue Champ Bailey was the clear cut #2, but I don't really get to see guys like Asante Samuels and Revis all that much.

3. Lost One

Lost One ...

I'm not too good at ranking CB's.

I think Nnamdi Asomugha is the clear cut #1 CB in the league.

I'd probably say Revis comes in second. He already pretty much shut out Moss and Andre Johnson this season.

The rest I can't really comment much on. I think Nate Clemens is a bit overrated, and definitely overpayed, but I guess he's still a top 10 CB. I like Asante Samuels because he's an interception, big play ready to happen. But I've gotten frustrated by him at times because he is not that good of a tackler. I actually think Sheldon Brown may be a more complete corner, but Samuels's ability to get to the ball gives him the higher nod.

Also, I remember Antonio Cromartie got a ton of a hype two years ago. What's the deal with him? I know he struggled last year, but I heard he was playing through an injury. Mamba?

4. Chocolove

Chocolove Active Member

What about Cortland Finnegan? he's pretty good. Revis would be my #2 but after that it gets hard to rank IMO

5. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Cro played with a fractured hip from middle of the first game of the season throughout the playoffs. Stupid. He is alright. Not what he was hyped up to be, but he has that potential. We'll see how he pans out this year.

Jammer is good, nice to see the top 10 respect, Chutney.

I don't think it gets better than Asomugha. I also like Finnegan and Reevis

6. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

I thought he just got love from Madden ratings lol Rashean Mathis should be thrown on this list too IMO

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Agree.

Also agree with the aforementioned statement that Nate Clements is overrated. He is TERRIBLE in coverage though hes pretty superb tackling. I really don't know why he hasn't been a safety his entire career, he was meant to play in the box.

I don't necessarily think this guy is a top 10 CB at this point but Chris Johnson could deserve a mention. The Raiders play man coverage 80+% of the time- far and away the most in the league. With Asomugha on the opposite side Johnson gets thrown at a lot and does a pretty damn good job in his own right. There's a saying in Raiders territory that the hardest position to master is not QB but playing CB for the Raiders. Asomugha already mastered it but you gotta think Johnson might be in an even harder place knowing that most/all of the opposing teams passes to a wide out are coming his way. And since hes on the R's hes basically on an island out there with the WR.

8. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    First Ike Taylor needs some mention, last year he was excellent, and if the dude could actually catch (like Townsend) the ball, he'd be a pro bowler. That said. I got Revis as #2 then Samuel. The rest are tough for me.

9. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

This was what I was looking for in this thread: more in-depth perspectives from people who watch these guys more often. I never would've figured Clements was overrated because I don't remember the last time I watched him play. I just assumed he was really good after he got that big contract. The same goes with Marcus Trufant.

Revis is the 2nd best, IMO. The only reason the Jets can afford to blitz as much as they do is because he takes the opposition's top receiver completely out of the game. Not sure where to put Champ anymore. Everyone used to take him for granted as the best corner in the league before a couple of injuries. Now I don't hear anything about him anymore.

It might sound very homerish, but I think Corey Webster might be as high as 3 right now. Definitely top 5. He's officially reached the "Asomugha zone" where QB's stop throwing in his direction. So far this season, he's held Santana Moss to 2 catches/6 yards, Roy Williams to 1 catch/18 yards, and Michael Clayton to 0 catches/0 yards (wasn't even thrown to when Webster was on him). It's a pretty remarkable career turn-around for someone who was considered a draft bust 2 years ago.

10. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I have a hunch that he benefited a lot from having Haynesworth in QB's grills last season. He's been unspectacular so far this season.

11. Chocolove

Chocolove Active Member

What happened to Lito Sheppard? that guy was talked about a lot before and now I hardly hear his name. I assumed he was good. How bout Chris Houston for the Falcons? where would you guys put him?

12. Lost One

Lost One ...

Lito was really only good for like one year. The rest he was pretty much average. You couldn't depend too much on him because he was inconsistent and injury prone, which was one of the reasons why we went out and signed Asante. I believe the initial plan was to start Asante and Lito side by side, but that offseason he started bitching about his contract and lost his starting job to Sheldon Brown. He played nickel for the majority of the year and was pretty terrible (maybe he was half assing, who knows). Joselio Hanson outplayed him later on in the season, and he was pretty much an afterthough. I dunno how well he's doing with the Jets, but the latest I've heard, he's injured again.

13. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Lito's been pretty good with the Jets. Can get beat by a good receiver, but I think that's just a statement of where he's at in his career: a good #2 CB, a mediocre #1. Definitely doesn't belong anywhere near the top 10 IMO.

14. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

I am seeing lack of love for Charles Woodson.

15. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

I'm sure Asomugha is good, but Matt Cassel and Randy Moss took shits all over him last year in the only complete game I remember watching him play.

Samuel is the clear number two.