Raptors Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by BigVolcano, Mar 15, 2011.

1. BigVolcano

BigVolcano Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Alright guys, I am sorry you had to find out this way, but the Raptors are not going to make playoffs. Yes, its true however hard it may be to believe.

So who do you think we draft assuming we get a top five pick. I don't really follow college basketball that much so my knowledge is limited. However, from what i have read online and videos here are my rankings:

1. Irving
    2. Harrison Barnes
    3. Enes Kanter

A proposal i saw on Realgm which i was particularly taken with was to trade Bargnani to Sacramento for a bad contract and their 1st pick. Two top 5 picks will help with the youth movement, and create a solid core. This is a good deal for the Kings because Bargs is like a perfect compliment to Cousins. Picks can be risky and with Bargs they know what they are getting.

2. Chocolove

Chocolove Active Member

Irving, Kanter, Terrance Jones, or Kemba Walker, maybe Brandon Knight.

3. BigVolcano

From the little i have seen, Kemba Walker seems like an undersized scoring point guard, much like Bayless. Does he have pg skills?

4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

That's not going to happen. Bargnani's contract is WAY worse than anything the Kings could send back. He has 4 years and $42 million left after this season. Sacramento's two biggest contracts after this season are Beno Udrih with two years and $15 million total and Francisco Garcia with two years and just under $12 million total. Other than that, Sacramento has a bunch of guys on cheap rookie contracts and veterans making less than $1 million per year. They are in a much better cap situation then the Raptors. Those huge extensions Colangelo handed out to Calderon and Bargnani really have your hands tied.

You guys basically have the worst payroll in the league. You've won 18 games with the same payroll ($69 million) as the 54 win Spurs. The only other teams with few wins have much lower payrolls:

Minnesota: 17 wins, $53 million
    Washington: 16 wins, $59 million
    Sacramento: 16 wins, $44 million
    Cleveland: 12 wins, $53 miilion

Sacramento is in an enviable position in terms of cap space and expiring contracts. I have no idea why they would want to give up one of the top picks in the draft to take on your worst contract.

BNM

5. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

hey at least they got rid of hedo!

i could see a team taking bargs for a pick, especially in this crappy draft, bargs is what he is, but is at least a proven commodity.

6. Boob-No-More

He's also proven to be grossly overpaid - likely more so after the new CBA. And, we're not just talking any pick, likely a top 3, certainly a top 5. Even in a weak draft, that's a pretty valuable pick,

BNM

7. BigVolcano

I dont think Bargs is as bad a contract as you say.

Drew Gooden - 32 mil/5
    LMA - 65/5
    Dalembert - 13/1 (expiring)
    Tyrus Thomas - 40/5
    Memo Okur - 20/2
    AL Jefferson - 42/3
    Rashard Lewis - 63/3 (wow)
    Andrew Bynum - 44/3 (contract was signed when he had injury concerns)

Big men will get paid regardless of how good they are. Hell people like Kwame are not only still in the league but getting paid handsomely. The reason I don't think they will mind taking on salary is because (a) how many free agents has Sacramento been able to attract? and (b) Bargnani, imo, is a perfect fit with Cousins. Cousins can rebound and play in the post. The hi-low with Bargs and Cousins would be dirty.

8. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

I hear that kid from Arizona is pretty good, and Kemba is a late round pick. I want Barnes!

9. BigVolcano

Derrick Williams with a game saving block!!
    [video=youtube;xI_8AAxgU_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI_8AAxgU_w[/video]

10. Boob-No-More

This is what I was responding to:

"trade Bargnani to Sacramento for a bad contract and their 1st pick"

Sacramento doesn't have any bad contracts to dump. So, why would they give you their very high lottery pick when they can probably get a player as good, or better, than Bargnani, and a whole hell of a lot cheaper, just by keeping the pick. I just don't see how giving up a high lottery pick AND taking back a huge contract in return would make any sense for them. They would be much better off standing pat and building through the draft with inexpensive young talent.

BNM

11. Sex Panther

Sex Panther works every time.

Ask.
    You know BNM, I probably would have agreed with you at the beginning of the year, but i've definitely warmed up to Bargnani. I used to think he was a homeless man's LaMarcus Aldridge, but now (along with LMA's own development) he's a poor man's LaMarcus Aldridge with better range and inferior defense.

His contrct is huge; however, it would be awesome if he came off the bench as a 6th man. A team with a guy like Bargani as it's starting center won't win an NBA championship, but he'd be the best 6th man with his length, size, and firepower.

12. Boob-No-More

Bargnani has certainly picked up his scoring this season with Bosh gone, but he is still a historically bad rebounder (worst 7' rebounder since Brad Sellers). His current TRB% of 9.0 is the worst of his career, and he has 4 of the 10 worst TRB% seasons of any 7-footer since they started tracking that stat back in the mid-1980s.

He's putting up big scoring numbers on a very bad team, but his shooting percentages are down compared to last season. His 0.333 3FG% is subpar for someone who shoots as many threes as he does, and the worst of his career. His low percentages make him an inefficient scorer. He's a worse rebounder, worse defender and less efficient scorer than Aldridge. There is a reason Aldridge has a PER of 21.8 (20.0 is considered all-star level) and Bargnani has a PER of 16.5 (slightly above average starter).

There is also a reason Aldridge's team wins more games than Bargnani's. With both Camby and Roy (and, of course, Oden) out with injuries, Aldridge led the team to 12 games over 0.500 (from 2 games under 0.500 when Roy went down to 10 games over 0.500 when Roy came back). You could argue that Aldridge's teammates were inferior to Bargnani's during that stretch (Dante Cunningham spent several games starting at center with Sean Marks as his back-up). Aldridge totally carried the team and won Player of the Month for February, but was equally good in January and the second half of December. So, I think Bargnani is still closer to a homeless man's Aldridge, but we're probably splitting hairs.

I do agree that, in the right situation, Bargnani could be an effective 6th man - if he can improve his shooting percentages to at least what they were last season. The problem is, he's paid like a franchise player, not a 6th man. But, I should talk, thanks to his injuries, Brandon Roy is now an even higher paid 6th man than Bargnani would be.

BNM

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  13. BigVolcano

I don't think Bargnani is paid like a franchise player. Like i pointed out, his salary is not that ridiculous for a big man of his caliber. His salary is significantly lower than the max and the salary doesn't handicap the team too much.

14. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Jose Calderon cripples our team financially. He needs to be shown the deuces.

15. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

I think that's a good idea, ilmago. Sacramento could definitely stand to shed some salary and the last thing they need is more draft picks. The team has been drafting for like a decade with little to show for it. They could use a dominant scorer and rebounder like Bargnani, especially since his contract is very good for his level of production--perhaps one of the best of any of the legitimate big men in the NBA.

16. 3RA1N1AC

sarcasm?

17. BigVolcano

Lol I'm pretty sure...

However i disagree with speeds. Rebounding isn't really an issue for the Kings. Cousins and Dalembert are fairly dominant rebounders and low post threats. As i have pointed out before, Bargnani compliments low post scorers by drawing a big out of the paint.

18. BigVolcano

How about Milwakee as a potential destination for Bargnani? Like i have said before Bargnani would be good fit with a dominant low post center (ex. Bogut). Plus Milwakee could use some offense. Would Bargs for Magette + their pick work?

19. Boob-No-More

What???? Sacramento has, by far the lowest payroll in the league. And their only big contract (Dalembert, $12.2 million) is expiring. Their current payroll is $44 million. The second lowest is the Clippers at $52 million. You realize the NBA has a minimum team salary, don't you? It's 75% of the salary cap, which comes to $43.5 million this season. If they drop below that, they are charged a surcharge at the end of the season that goes to the players. So, there's absolutely no point in reducing their payroll to less than $43.5 million.

They've only been in the lottery for the last four years, and only two of those picks (Evans = ROY and Cousins). They'd be stupid to give up their pick this year for Barganani.

OK, sorry but this part made me go back and check the date of your post to make sure it wasn't an April Fool's joke. Seriously, Bargnani is the second worst rebounding 7-footer in the history of the league, trailing only Brad Sellers. Bargnani scores 20 ppg on a shitty team - and that's all he does. He's a historically terrible rebounder and a weak defender. He has a PER of 16.5, which absolutely sucks for a guy averaging 21.8 ppg. The guys just ahead of him in scoring have PERs of 23.3 (Westbrook), 21.5 (Aldridge) and 21.7 (Blake Griffin). What that basically means is ALL Bargnani does is score, and he doesn't do that very efficiently. He's a 7-footer shoots below 0.450 FG%, below 0.350 3FG% (his supposed "stength") and is absolutely the worst rebounding 7-footer in over 20 years (current TRB% = 8.6 - the worst of his historically bad career).

If he's so fucking good, and such a great bargain, why are so many Troonto fans in such a big hurry to trade him?

BNM

20. 3RA1N1AC

i would bet speeds was joking...^^^ lol