Raptors Official Offseason Thread (Signings, trades, etc)

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by jbbCourtVision, Apr 3, 2004.

1. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

I decided to start this because without a playoff spot, the Raptors need to start thinking about the future. Who should the Raptors draft this year? I think they will get a top ten pick in the draft (so no Okafor), pending on how many games they lose.

The Raptors two needs are at the 1 and 5. They need to move Bosh back to PF to make him effective on both ends.

IMO I think we should take a long hard look at Ben Gordon. This dude is a combo guard who could be a big time scorer given the right chance. He is playing point for UConn right now so he does have the ability to lead a good team.

I don' t think drafting a highschooler is the best avenue. They need someone that can play right away. I would not even bother with Pavel Podzollsjdflkd, or Ivan Chiarev. What we don't need is a 7-5 centre with two left feet and a 7 foot pg who can't even dominate Canadian high school teams.

I heard Andris Biedrins is a pf/c that is garnering a lot of attention. Don't know much about him though.

What do you guys think?

2. Tomac54

Tomac54 JBB JustBBall Member

ya, i would love to get Ben Gordan, he could really make a deference. i also like Andre
    Emmitt, he really has game. he reminds he of a vince Carter or Michael Finaly. he can shoot from anywhere, is 6ft 5in, is a good rebounder, strong, and plays hard every day. i like Gordan, Emmitt, and simen or warrick
    what u guys think???????????????????

3. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

I don't think another shooting guard is what the Raptors had in mind. They don't need one.

4. ming-dynasty

ming-dynasty JBB JustBBall Member

If you check out nbadraft.net they have us choosing Pavel Podkolzine. I haven't seen the guy play but from what I hear the guy has BUST written all over him.

I definately do not want to see Ivan Chiriaev in a Raptor uniform. Again, I haven't seen him play but from what I hear he seems to be ages away from being nba ready. The guy is putting up unimpressive numbers in the unimpressive Ontario high school league and for some reason he has the cockiest attitude ever. "The nba wants and needs Ivan Chiriaev"..... what the heck is that??

I think we should try to get an established PG from the ncaa in the draft. Ben Gordon would be nice but seeing how well he's been playing on UCONN I bet some other team will pick him before we can get a chance. I also think we should take a stab at Jameer Nelson. The guy had to be player of the year for a reason.

5. og15

og15 JBB *********

Andre Emmitt isn't predicted to go lottery or even forst round. so us getting him then would just be dumb. We should draft Gordon, Harris or Jameer is we don't win the draft lottery, which I'm not really expecting us to but it could happen. Emmit is predicted as a late second round pick, 50th pick range.

6. Tomac54

Tomac54 JBB JustBBall Member

so we should get Gordan, Nelson, Duhon, Warrick, or whoever, and then go after Emmit in the 2nd round we should have the 7-8 pick

7. og15

og15 JBB *********

Our second round pick is much higer than 54, so getting Emitt wouldn't be good especially since we can pick up a big man which is one of our main needs. What would be the point of us getting a shooting guard who will hardly play or have any effect on the team. We get out PG in the first round, then use our 2 second round picks to get a Tim Thomas like SF, and a big man preferably a C, or we just get 2 big men.

8. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

even mentioning Ivan Chiriaev in this thread is pointless.

I haven't paied atttention to the prospects, except for some big names. But if we had a choice a college player would most likely be the best bet.

9. og15

og15 JBB *********

IMan who mention Ivan, I don't wanna see that garbage again [​IMG]

I definately do not want Pavel, I don't care what people say if we draft him I am officially putting the Raptors as on of my second favourite teams, no more priority. They can do behind Miami, Washington and Phoenix (not really but still I would be dissapointed).

10. norespect

norespect JBB gotta nuke something...

I don't think Gordon will be around when its the raptors turn to draft, especially now that UCONN got so far in the tourney. I think the raptors will draft Pavel Podkolzine and get stuck with a player that they will need to develop for 2-3 years. Jameer Nelson might be an option if they really wanna take a PG.

11. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

Devin Harris, Ben Gordon, or Jameer Nelson all seem like good picks. They can all shoot the ball well and get to the basket just as easy.

I'd rather not draft a centre, mainly because I think it will take them too long to develop, when the Raptors are at a state where they aren't far off from the playoffs (problems aside).

12. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

We need Jameer Nelson. He can shoot the ball and he can pass. Strickland can pass the ball but can't shoot, and he wont be with us next season and Jalen can move to SG and Nelson can be PG. That way we can have Alvin come off the bench. We should trade Marshall for a big man to help bosh out, better then taking a chance with somebody who could be the next Shawn Bradley.

13. eginobili20

eginobili20 JBB JustBBall Member

Yo, i think we all know we need someone strong in the key, no more guards, Gordon sounds like someone good.

14. ming-dynasty

ming-dynasty JBB JustBBall Member

I know this will never happen, but if we had a chance to draft Emeka Okafor, do you think we should do it? I for one think we shouldn't. Even though he's capable of being a center in college, there's no way he can pull it off in the nba. He'll be playing his natural position at PF. So if we do get him, that would mean that either him or Bosh would have to be coming off the bench and I don't like the sound of that one bit. Plus he has the injury problems so there would be a high risk in signing him.

15. jenike

jenike JBB JustBBall Member

I wouldn't sign Okafor. He will be a PF in the NBA, no doubt. Plus it takes years to develop a Center in the NBA. I can't even think of a Big Man being a force at center right out of the draft. A PG can make the jump much easier because they just need to drive the lane and find the open man. An outside shot is nice for a PG but not a necessity. Look at T.J. Ford from last year.

16. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting thefranchise3:</div><div class="quote_post"><u>Devin Harris, Ben Gordon, or Jameer Nelson </u> all seem like good picks. They can all shoot the ball well and get to the basket just as easy.
    </div>

All of them are not pure point guards, and Gordon played horrible defence against the Blue Devils ! ..

Sebastian TelFair is projected to go 10-15, a quick pure point with great handling and the ability to break up the D.

As far as Ivan Chiraiev, in his press confrence he mentioned that some GM's told him he'd be drafted in the top 5, this dude ain't even a first round material .. !

.. We have to do a better job in the second round, too many stars were second rounders : ( Redd, Rashard Lewis, Boozer, ... etc )

17. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

We should get Jameer, he's gonna be a star one day.

At best- Starbury/Francis

At Worst- Milt

18. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Air Canada:</div><div class="quote_post">All of them are not pure point guards, and Gordon played horrible defence against the Blue Devils ! ..

Sebastian TelFair is projected to go 10-15, a quick pure point with great handling and the ability to break up the D.

As far as Ivan Chiraiev, in his press confrence he mentioned that some GM's told him he'd be drafted in the top 5, this dude ain't even a first round material .. !

.. We have to do a better job in the second round, too many stars were second rounders : ( Redd, Rashard Lewis, Boozer, ... etc )</div>

Actually, Devin Harris is a point guard, also Ben Gordon will likely be forced to play it in the NBA, same with Jameer. The reason why I named those three is because of their offensive capabilities. All three of these guards can shoot the ball well, create for themselves and create for others, and they can just as easily get to the basket.

In previous years we've had point guards who aren't really good shooters (ex. Alvin Williams), with their speed and offensive game they could really help us.

Defense, in my opinion can be taught, it mainly takes effort, all the players I've named are quick, so defense shouldn't be a huge argument.

By the way, Gordon's defense wasn't as great as it could be because he was trying to stay out of foul trouble in the second half. When you have to guard JJ Redick, one who was uncharacteristically trying to drive in the lane and draw a foul, you can't put as much pressure on him, considering what he was trying to do and what situation Gordon was in.

The reason why I'm stressing so much on offense is because we all know what its like to have a point guard who can't shoot, or do anything offensively thats actually productive (Milt Palacio).

19. og15

og15 JBB *********

Jameer isn't too quick, and Ben is quick but if faced against a quicker offensive player will contantly get beat.

20. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting thefranchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually, Devin Harris is a point guard, also Ben Gordon will likely be forced to play it in the NBA, same with Jameer. The reason why I named those three is because of their offensive capabilities. All three of these guards can shoot the ball well, create for themselves and create for others, and they can just as easily get to the basket.

By the way, Gordon's defense wasn't as great as it could be because he was trying to stay out of foul trouble in the second half. When you have to guard JJ Redick, one who was uncharacteristically trying to drive in the lane and draw a foul, you can't put as much pressure on him, considering what he was trying to do and what situation Gordon was in.

The reason why I'm stressing so much on offense is because we all know what its like to have a point guard who can't shoot, or do anything offensively thats actually productive (Milt Palacio).</div>

Fair enoungh, I know you're thinking offence, I am too, but as the statistics show, we got beaten so bad by quick point guards this season ( i.e .. Marbury ) .. and that mainley occured because of Rod's inability to match their quickness, and Milt's slowliness off getting around the screen or even chasing the other point guard !..

.. I know we need a big time penetrater, and a player who can break the D down, and all of whome you mentioned do it very well, but the scout department have to look at the definsive side if we're looking to pick up a point guard because that's where we got killed this season ( + the big man issue )