Ravens hire Harbaugh as coach

Discussion in 'AFC North' started by Dissonance19, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Dissonance19

Dissonance19 Member

link

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>A day after being rejected by Jason Garrett, the Ravens decided to take another calculated gamble by hiring John Harbaugh, a rising young assistant in the NFL.

The Ravens will introduce him at a news conference tomorrow at noon.

Harbaugh, the Philadelphia Eagles secondary coach, has never been a head coach at any level and has never been a coordinator in the NFL.

Harbaugh, 45, becomes the NFL's ninth-youngest head coach and replaces Brian Billick, who was fired Dec. 31 after nine seasons with the team.

Although Harbaugh might not have the typical credentials of some other head coaching candidates, he has been on the radar of several NFL teams. One high-ranking Ravens official predicted last year that Harbaugh would be an excellent head coach if a team took a chance on him.

Harbaugh was a finalist for the UCLA job last month and for the Miami Dolphins' opening last year.

Most teams generally don't hire special teams coaches to the top spot.

But several decorated head coaches -- Marv Levy, Dick Vermeil, Mike Ditka, Bill Cowher and Bill Belichick -- began their careers coordinating special teams.

After his first interview with the Ravens on Jan. 8, Harbaugh expressed confidence that he could lead the Ravens.

"I don't think there's any one way to prepare to be a head coach," Harbaugh said at the time. "I don't think you're a head coach until you become a head coach and you find out what your style is. [Eagles coach] Andy Reid was never a coordinator before he became a head coach, and he's one of the best in the league."

Harbaugh could take a week before finalizing a coaching staff.

It is believed he would name Eagles quarterbacks coach Pat Shurmur as his offensive coordinator.

There could be a chance that Harbaugh tries to retain Rex Ryan as defensive coordinator. Both coached at the University of Cincinnati in 1996, when Harbaugh was the assistant head coach and Ryan was the defensive coordinator

Harbaugh began his coaching career in 1984 at Western Michigan. Three years later, he joined the University of Pittsburgh staff as the tight ends coach.

After one-year stints at Pittsburgh and Morehead State, Harbaugh worked eight seasons (1989-96) as an assistant coach at Cincinnati. Harbaugh then joined Cam Cameron's Indiana staff in 1997 as the defensive backs and special teams coach.

Harbaugh has been around football his entire life. His father, Jack, is a 41-year coaching veteran and won the 2002 Division I-AA national championship as head coach of Western Kentucky.

The hiring of Harbaugh ends the Ravens' 18-day coaching search.</div>

2. Dissonance19

Dissonance19 Member

Ravens are in talks with Ryan to keep him as DC. Plus, news on who could be the OC.

link

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The Ravens are in negotiations with Rex Ryan to keep him as the defensive coordinator on new coach John Harbaugh's staff, an NFL source said.

To retain Ryan, the Ravens likely have to give him a significant raise. Ryan is in the final year of a two-year contract that is worth between $1 million and $1.2 million a season.

The offensive coordinator could be either Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach Pat Shurmur or former Miami Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron, a league source said.

Harbaugh has a chance to keep Ryan because they had a solid relationship during their one season together at the University of Cincinnati. In 1996, Harbaugh was the assistant head coach at Cincinnati and Ryan was the defensive coordinator.</div>

3. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

I remember when he was at UC. One of his duties was finding summer housing for incoming recruits. My fraternity house always had open rooms for rent during the summer, so we dealt with him a few times. If I recall correctly, he was pretty good at scaring those kids when they would screw up.

4. MKIV_Supra

MKIV_Supra 2006 NFL-*****s FF Grand Champion

Wow... Cameron and Ryan? That would be pretty nice. I doubt Ryan would want to come back as the DC when he had a chance to be a HC somewhere else but I'd rather see him back than at Cincy.

5. Dissonance19

Dissonance19 Member

Ryan has 3 other offers for DC with Miami and NY Jets. Not sure on the other team. ATL doesn't seem to really want him as much as it was thought of.

If he doesn't come back, which I don't think he will. Ron Rivera will probably be the DC if the Chargers are eliminated this weekend. According to Harbaugh, we will still be an attacking style defense

Cam and Rivera would be awesome. I wouldn't rule out Shurmur as OC though. Not sure what he brings as a play caller. OL and a QB coach are 2 things we need to hit homeruns though. It's vital.

6. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

OMG organsm if we get Cam & Rivera.