Ravens place franchise tag on Suggs

Discussion in 'AFC North' started by Dissonance19, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Dissonance19

Dissonance19 Member

I wouldn't be opposed to moving him for a deal that would make sense. I think while he's a good player, he wasn't that effective without Thomas (who's gone) and Pryce (who was injured all yr).

link

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The Ravens placed the franchise tag on Terrell Suggs today, keeping the the two-time Pro Bowl linebacker off the free agent market.

By using the tag on Suggs, the Ravens will give him a one-year contract worth $8.065 million, the average of the five highest-paid linebackers in the NFL.

If another team makes an offer to Suggs, the Ravens can either match it or receive two first-round picks as compensation.

We will continue to negotiate with 'Sizzle' with the intention of signing him to a long-term contract," general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "He is one of our best players, and our success with re-signing our best players is very good. We've done this with players like Jonathan Ogden, Ray Lewis, Todd Heap, Ed Reed and Chris McAlister -- and that was after we franchised Chris."

Suggs, 25, would have become one of the youngest players in NFL history to reach free agency.

He is the first player franchised by the Ravens since McAlister, who was given the tag in 2003 and 2004.

A first-round pick by the Ravens in 2003, Suggs has become one of the NFL's top pass rushers.

He is third on the Ravens' all-time list with 45 sacks, trailing only Peter Boulware (70) and Michael McCrary (51). And since 2003, Suggs has recorded the sixth-most sacks in the league.</div>

2. Old Bob

Old Bob nfl-*****s member

I don't see anybody givin up 2 first rounders for Suggs.

Diss, is right, he's much better with help.

I doubt the Ravens will get too many calls on this one.

3. MKIV_Supra

MKIV_Supra 2006 NFL-*****s FF Grand Champion

Rumors are that he's going to fight him being tagged as a LB instead of a DE, where he would make more money.