Ray against Kobe heats up

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If Ray Allen were more succinct when answering questions, his friends say, then perhaps the Sonics guard might avoid uncomfortable confrontations like his one tonight against the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant.

But Allen is anything but succinct, and his comments after Seattle's only exhibition victory two weeks ago, in which he questioned Bryant's leadership, enraged Bryant to the point where he issued a somewhat amusing threat.

According to a Lakers team source, Bryant telephoned Allen days ago and told him, "I'm gonna bust your ass," in anticipation of their 7:30 p.m. exhibition at the San Diego Sports Arena.

After yesterday's practice, Allen denied receiving such a message from Bryant, and before last night's game against Phoenix in Las Vegas, the Lakers guard scoffed when asked about the rumor.

"Don't even put me and dude in the same breath," he told a reporter.</div>

<font size="1">Full Story courtesy of Percy Allen and the Seattle Times.</font>

Wow. Guess Kobe is still cut up about being Ray's bitch.

On a different note, has anyone else noticed that Allen has really started to develop an attitude over the past six months, and not for the good either. Maybe it was there all along, and I just didn't see it, but he seems to have a real smugness about him now, like it's his team.

2. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

He certainly wasn't like he is now at Uconn and the Bucks. Seems he has become very frustrated with the state the Sonics are in, Sonics management not willing to give him what he wants and the losing can't help either.

3. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

I guess Kobe forgot how Ray owned him last year.....driving past him to score the game-winning layup. Let's not blow this rivalry out of proportion. I remember Kobe hugging Ray after their first meeting with Ray joined the green and gold. I believe that the angry aspect of this rivalry is media fabricated.

As for the attitude, there have been sparks of it throughout Ray's career. I guess it's all those years of playing with Sammy and Glen.

4. Karma

Karma The Will Must Be Stronger Than The Skill

Ray's outburst a couple of weeks back was uncalled for, he's in no position to critisize anyone else right now when he himself has done nothing worth of praise in the past few seasons. Yes, there are a million to one excuses but the fact remains.

Howver, I believe this yet another media-fueled rivalry. They will play a pre-season game tonight and both players will come out strong, one team will win, one team will lose and the media will start questioning things and try to blow comments out of proportion.

5. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jurassic:</div><div class="quote_post">driving past him to score the game-winning layup.</div>

A little misleading there? [​IMG] Kobe was hit with a pick and Allen got past the player that picked him up. He didn't just "drive past" Kobe on that play, [​IMG]

6. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

Ray Allen has always seemed to have a little attitude in him,he probaly gets it from his momma,lol.Its intresting to see this little feud going on,Kobe is like the NBAs enemy.But maybe its just to players having some fun competition at each other.

7. Jumpman

Jumpman And Your Nominees Are...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Supersonic:</div><div class="quote_post">

Wow. Guess Kobe is still cut up about being Ray's bitch.

</div>

Woah, Woah, Woah. Who ever said Kobe was Ray Allen's bitch?

Its like the thing with Jeff Garcia and Terrell Owens. But they can settle this in the next game.

8. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting KB8_Remix:</div><div class="quote_post">Woah, Woah, Woah. Who ever said Kobe was Ray Allen's bitch?
    </div>
    The fact that Kobe is repeatedly owned by Ray speaks for itself.

9. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting KB8_Remix:</div><div class="quote_post">Woah, Woah, Woah. Who ever said Kobe was Ray Allen's bitch?

Its like the thing with Jeff Garcia and Terrell Owens. But they can settle this in the next game.</div>

no 'woah' about it. Kobe gets owned by Ray everytime they play. Ray torches him,happened last season on a couple of occasions as well as before that. Kobe takes Ray lightly and pays the price,it's a constant and it has been for awhile.

go look up some of the box scores and you'll see. [​IMG]

10. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Ssshhh don't tell Kobe fans, they think he is a basketball god who can do no wrong.

11. Mr. Sonic

Mr. Sonic JBB JustBBall Member

Ray Allen always seems to play, his best against the best, mainly Kobe. And yes Ray has definately owned Kobe the past few years. He almost dropped a tripple double on him in like his third game as sonic.

Ray Allen has seemed to have gotten an attitude on him lately. I never saw it in him before, but maybe losing brent, the contract disputes, and the overall situation of the team have had an effect on this change or maybe his been holding it up inside for all this time and he can't hold it anymore. Whatever the cause he needs to get rid of it.
    It's a detriment to the team.

12. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting notMuchgame:</div><div class="quote_post">A little misleading there? [​IMG] Kobe was hit with a pick and Allen got past the player that picked him up. He didn't just "drive past" Kobe on that play, [​IMG]</div>

Not really, I remember the play clearly. The Sonics inbounded the ball near half court, and Kobe decided it would be a good idea to step out on Ray while he was still at the half court line. [​IMG]

Yeah, there was a pick.....at half court. Kobe had plenty of time to go around it before Ray ran all the way to the bucket from half court. That kind of defense in unacceptable when the game is on the line.

13. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jurassic:</div><div class="quote_post">Not really, I remember the play clearly. The Sonics inbounded the ball near half court, and Kobe decided it would be a good idea to step out on Ray while he was still at the half court line. [​IMG]

Yeah, there was a pick.....at half court. Kobe had plenty of time to go around it before Ray ran all the way to the bucket from half court. That kind of defense in unacceptable when the game is on the line.</div>

When the game is on the line and the clocking running down, you have to step out on the player u are guarding, even at halfcourt. That's basketball 101. The Sonics threw a pick with Allen running down the court, and Kobe got hit without seeing it. One of the other lakers switched onto Allen, but didn't have the speed to stay with him. The others just watched instead of collapsing into the paint. I agree that it was bad defense, but for someone who was posting about team ball in the other thread, you seem to miss the concept of team defense and instead focus on one-on-one, which wasn't the case on that play.

14. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

I wouldn't say either player dominates the other. More like neither of them can guard the other.

15. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

:rofl @ all the answers.

btu the people speak truth about Ray. No doubt about it.

16. Jumpman

Jumpman And Your Nominees Are...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">Ssshhh don't tell Kobe fans, they think he is a basketball god who can do no wrong.</div>

Ok, first of all, I don't think Kobe is the god of basketball. I'm a Kobe fan, but I don't go all crazy about him and he CAN do wrong alot of time, I admit that. Don't go around critrizing Kobe fans about them saying so and so. I just don't want to start a fight or anything though.

OK, on the the other things. Kobe as you can see from the other game did better than Ray, he scored less and more FGA in less time than Kobe. SO what I;m really trying to say is that almost everytime, Ray's team wins, but Kobe wins the indiviual battle. If you huys want more info, go to the Lakers forum, in the Lakers and Sonics preview, Realdealbneal, has pretty much evrything wrapped up.

17. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

Ray Allen is a clown.

Why go to the media about anything involving a player on another team? He called out Kobe in a preseason game saying that the Lakers aren't going to do well b/c Kobe tries to do everything on his own and b/c he isolates himself from his teammates. Why would you say that to the media? That is something that a high school athlete would say.

Ray Allen told the media that Kobe called him up to tell him that he was going to "bust his ass." I'm sorry Sonics fans, Kobe is a better player than Ray Allen. I don't care what the stat line is when they play against each other. Kobe has three championships. I don't think that he is worried about his scoring output against the Sonics.

I normally don't form opinions about the character of celebrities/athletes but I really don't like Ray Allen. He's the ultimate hypocrite. I should write my next JustBBall article on the "Miseducation of Ray Allen." Kobe is not in the wrong at all on this issue. What happens on the court shouldn't be distorted through the media.

I can't emphasize enough how much of a clown I think that Ray Allen is. If the Sonics management has any nuts they would trade his whining ass before his trade value drops.

18. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Iron Shiek:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Why go to the media about anything involving a player on another team? He called out Kobe in a preseason game saying that the Lakers aren't going to do well b/c Kobe tries to do everything on his own and b/c he isolates himself from his teammates. Why would you say that to the media? That is something that a high school athlete would say.</div>

Firstly, he didn't "go to the media." The media asked him about his thoughts on Kobe and the Laker's prospects. He gave an honest, critical answer. These guys are grown men -- they should be able to give and receive criticism. And he didn't flat out say the Lakers are going to suck. He said Kobe was talented enough to make it work, but questioned his attitude and team-play. That isn't exactly talking trash. That's an honest, understandable criticism. It's something you'd hear from any basketball expert on ESPN.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Ray Allen told the media that Kobe called him up to tell him that he was going to "bust his ass."</div>

Actually, he didn't. He denied that such a call was made. That alleged call was leaked by someone in the Lakers organization.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm sorry Sonics fans, Kobe is a better player than Ray Allen. I don't care what the stat line is when they play against each other. Kobe has three championships. I don't think that he is worried about his scoring output against the Sonics.</div>

Kobe may be a better player than Ray, individually. But that doesn't mean Kobe isn't concerned with his scoring output. It's fairly obvious that he is, particularly when he plays against players like Ray Allen. He wants to prove that he's the better player, and for him part of that is putting the ball in the basket. You can't seriously deny this.

19. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting durvasa:</div><div class="quote_post">Firstly, he didn't "go to the media." The media asked him about his thoughts on Kobe and the Laker's prospects. He gave an honest, critical answer. These guys are grown men -- they should be able to give and receive criticism. And he didn't flat out say the Lakers are going to suck. He said Kobe was talented enough to make it work, but questioned his attitude and team-play. That isn't exactly talking trash. That's an honest, understandable criticism. It's something you'd hear from any basketball expert on ESPN.
    </div>

Bottom line, Ray Allen should worry about what is going on in his locker room more than he should worry about what is going on in the Lakers locker room. I don't buy your grown men theory. These guys are professional athletes. They aren't getting paid to assess the personal characteristics of their opponents. He should be smart enough to understand when it is appropriate to fully disclose your opinions to the media. This was unnecessary and unprofessional.

You misinterpreted my last post. In my opinion Kobe doesn't try to do anything extra against the Sonics, he is just his normal aggressive self. I think that he respects Ray Allen's talents, but at the same time I don't think that he is playing to prove that he is a better player. In his mind, and in the minds of most other people, he has already proven himself to be better than Ray Allen.

Ray was the leading vote getter for the All Interview team. This is b/c he talks entirely too much and too candidly with the media. Say what you want, but Allen's comments as a whole do much more harm than good.

20. kobe_8

kobe_8 JBB JustBBall Member

ray allen chicken out last night. geez, what a coward. talkin' craps about kobe then backin' up. sore back? yeah right... i guess it was good for him to back up 'coz kobe got rested.