Ray Allen traded to the Celtics

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by playaofthegame, Jun 28, 2007.

1. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

The Sonics and Celtics have agreed to a trade which will see Ray Allen join Paul Pierce in Boston, while the fifth pick, Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak will be headed to Seattle. The Sonics will take Jeff Green with pick 5, if available.Well the trade is legitRay Allen2007 #35 pickfor2007 #5 PickWally SzczerbiakDelonte WestThoughts? :dunno:

2. AiRuPtHeRe

AiRuPtHeRe BBW Elite Member

I'm happy [​IMG] We finally get another vet on the team who can score atleast 20 a night. We didn't give up that much (I liked Delonte however) Now my thoughts are, who's gonna be our backup PG?

3. CavsRules

CavsRules BBW VIP

<span style="font-family:Tahoma">I'm pissed. I knew Cleveland didn't have a chance, but I kept hope. Anyway, I don't know what to think. I think it's pretty good for both teams because Seattle now gets two young guns and Boston gets to keep PP and now they got Ray Allen. I'm glad that Ray Ray is in a East jersey, but not the color I wanted. Anyway, I think Boston makes the playoffs this year. But they still don't go to far.</span>

4. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

Wow, great trade guys...Delonte West was just creating a log jam to be honest...you cant keep all of your young guys. You were stuck with that pick because you didnt need another SF or a PF....you guys just needed a Center....so pulling this trade off is a phenomenal move...I'm sure Celticballa is happy..I dont understand why they would take Jeff Green when they're already getting Durant though....?

5. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

I hate it.Allen is 32 and coming off a year of knee problems. at 32 you don't bounce back so fast from that.. or you bounce back but consistantly get injured again.we just traded away a young talent, a very good back upcombo gaurd, wally (the salary to balance it) for a player who brings nothing the team needed and from what I hear Robert 'what have you done in the league' Swift!Allen is in the twilight of his productive years and can't help rebound, defend the interior or defend anyone for that matter.I sat throught a 24 win season for Ray Freakin' Allen?!?!this was a very good trade... 5-6 years ago.Ainge is dead to me.

6. Living_Legend33

Living_Legend33 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticFan @ Jun 28 2007, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I hate it.Allen is 32 and coming off a year of knee problems. at 32 you don't bounce back so fast from that.. or you bounce back but consistantly get injured again.we just traded away a young talent, a very good back upcombo gaurd, wally (the salary to balance it) for a player who brings nothing the team needed and from what I hear Robert 'what have you done in the league' Swift!Allen is in the twilight of his productive years and can't help rebound, defend the interior or defend anyone for that matter.I sat throught a 24 win season for Ray Freakin' Allen?!?!this was a very good trade... 5-6 years ago.Ainge is dead to me.</div>You're forgetting a few things. 1. It was ANKLE surgery, not knee surgery.2. It removed bone spurs; it's not a Grant Hill reconstruction situation.3. We got rid of Wally and kept Ratliff; the biggest expiring deal in the league.Almost every year a star player gets pissed and demands a trade. Now the Celtics will be in a perfect position to pounce on them when it happens. They have two legit all-stars in Peirce and Allen, and an emerging one in Jefferson. Barring another serious injury, who isn't going to want to play on this team? I only really wanted Horford in this draft, and he was gone. Now at least we keep Pierce and don't have to deal him for half of what he's worth. Allen is the perfect complement to #34 as he'll knock down all the outside shots after Pierce penetrates. In short, he'll be what Wally Sczerbiak was supposed to be. This deal also opens up minutes fo Gerald Green to develop, but at the same time doesn't phase out the recovering Tony Allen.

7. DRob-50-Forever

DRob-50-Forever BBW Elite Member

I am still undecided. Had it been Telfair and not West, I would have been happy. But I'm just not sure at this point.

8. CavsRules

CavsRules BBW VIP

<span style="font-family:Tahoma">Now that I think about it, this is a great deal for Boston. Yes, they lose their No.5 pick overall and lose out on a young player. But people are forgetting, this is Ray Allen. 32 years old, yes, but the dude can clearly get the job done. Allen can give you 25+ a night along with PP, this is a great trade. Only if they make a few more moves, and I think Boston could be a contender.. As crazy as that sounds.</span>

9. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

This is an unbelievable trade for the Boston Celtics. You get rid of Wally Sczcerbiak, who was an absolute waste of time and was exposed for being an overpaid injury ridden player. You get rid of Delonte West, as much as I love Delonte, he never fit anywhere in Boston. He played point guard but he wasn't a point guard, he played the 2 but had trouble adjusting to it. He is a good player but I have said many times, he didn't really have a place in Boston. You also trade the pick, which honestly at #5 we didn't really need, and you get a great scorer to go along side Paul Pierce in the starting lineup. The most important part of this trade, YOU DON'T GIVE UP AL JEFFERSON!!! Any other deal with Phoenix or Minnesota that was rumored had Al Jefferson and/or Gerald Green on the move. We get to keep Rondo, Jefferson, and Green, three of our younger guys that could potentially turn into all-star calibar players if they reach their full potential. I don't see how you lose in this deal. It makes Paul Pierce happy, you get rid of an injury problem and a young guy who didn't fit out here, and it gives you a consistent 25 point a night scorer.

10. CavsRules

CavsRules BBW VIP

<span style="font-family:Tahoma">I wanna hear what CB32 has to say about this deal, Hehe.</span>

11. S_Gurad

S_Gurad BBW Elite Member

Yall got a new celtics fan right here.| I wonder what number ray allen will get or choose since pierce is already #34.| This is a perfect team for ray to break that 3-point record because Pierce and Jefferson can take the load off of him.|

12. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

I do too CavsRules. I'd imagine he would be in agreeance with me. He didn't want to give up AL J but he wanted a solid veteran in here. Ray Allen is a consummate pro and keeps himself in incredible shape. I'm very happy with this deal. We finally have a legit 2 guard, I know Paul was a two most of his career but he would always have to compensate with the Celtics sh*tty assembling of rosters and he would wind up playing 3 a lot. Allen+Pierce+Jefferson are going to do a hell of a lot of damage.

13. MaRdYC26

MaRdYC26 BBW Graphics Team

Don't like it. Trade a lottery pick for a guy that's coming off surgery and is gettign up there in age? Not feeling it. Only thing that made sense was getting rid of Wally's huge contract. Otherwise it blows.

14. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

thought about it... still hate it.that's the best move that can be made with the #5 pick in a deep draft?a 32 year old coming off of surgery?it's a 2 year rental and that's about it.a good deal if you're a contender.. bad deal if you're taking baby steps to make the playoffs.p.s. Ray has 3 years left on his deal, starting at 16 mil this year and ending at 18.77 mil in 2009/10

15. CavsRules

CavsRules BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (S_Guard @ Jun 28 2007, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yall got a new celtics fan right here.| I wonder what number ray allen will get or choose since pierce is already #34.| This is a perfect team for ray to break that 3-point record because Pierce and Jefferson can take the load off of him.|</div>Same here, I love Ray Ray. I was prying he'd get traded to Cleveland, but we didn't have anything for him. [​IMG] <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE @ Jun 28 2007, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I do too CavsRules. I'd imagine he would be in agreeance with me. He didn't want to give up AL J but he wanted a solid veteran in here. Ray Allen is a consummate pro and keeps himself in incredible shape. I'm very happy with this deal. We finally have a legit 2 guard, I know Paul was a two most of his career but he would always have to compensate with the Celtics sh*tty assembling of rosters and he would wind up playing 3 a lot. Allen+Pierce+Jefferson are going to do a hell of a lot of damage.</div>Yeah, this is a pretty good deal. The only reason I would imagine him getting upset about was the trading the 5th pick. But then again, you had to in order to get an all-star like Ray Allen. Pierce wanted an all-star, well he just got a great one.

16. DRob-50-Forever

Jeff Green, Wally, and Delonte for Ray Allen and Glen Davis. I hope this is enough to keep Pierce happy. Ray has 1 more year left on his deal than Wally but if he can stay healthy he can give the C's 20ppg easily. In the 50 something games he played last season I believe he scored more ppg than Pierce. The C's potentially make the playoffs this season without giving up a whole lot of the future. Overall I guess I'm not pissed. But I don't love it. Yet.

17. CavsRules

CavsRules BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticFan @ Jun 28 2007, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>thought about it... still hate it.that's the best move that can be made with the #5 pick in a deep draft?a 32 year old coming off of surgery?it's a 2 year rental and that's about it.a good deal if you're a contender.. bad deal if you're taking baby steps to make the playoffs.</div>Boston really isn't taking Baby steps, if they where they wouldn't have made this deal. They wanna make the playoffs, and they easily will with this Ray/Al/PP.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>p.s. Ray has 3 years left on his deal, starting at 16 mil this year and ending at 18.77 mil in 2009/10</div>Ray Allen is a superstar, bud. Hes gonna make that kinda cash. You guys got rid of Wally, and West. Something I thought was needed to be done in Boston.

18. DRob-50-Forever

I would say getting rid of is correct when speaking of Wally but not West. Getting an all-star while keeping Big Al and Gerald Green is pretty good. I will miss West though, he was consistant. Can't wait to see what Ainge does with Theo's contract and Telfair. Go Big Baby!

19. Living_Legend33

Living_Legend33 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticFan @ Jun 28 2007, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>thought about it... still hate it.that's the best move that can be made with the #5 pick in a deep draft?a 32 year old coming off of surgery?it's a 2 year rental and that's about it.a good deal if you're a contender.. bad deal if you're taking baby steps to make the playoffs.p.s. Ray has 3 years left on his deal, starting at 16 mil this year and ending at 18.77 mil in 2009/10</div>So you'd rather have drafted Jeff Green or Yi, been maybe a 7 or 8 seed next year, and then trade Pierce for an expiring deal, late-lottery pick, and decent vet next off-season?Plus, we still have the Ratliff deal to facilitate another very good player coming to town. There is SO much more behind this deal than trading for a 32 year old all-star.Also, YES that is the best that could be done. Marion and KG didn't want to come here before. We still have Ratliff and can make a big deal happen. You think them, Gasol, or JO aren't a little more interested in coming to Boston now?

20. DRob-50-Forever

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Living_Legend33 @ Jun 28 2007, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You think them, Gasol, or JO aren't a little more interested in coming to Boston now?</div>Very good point!