Ray Allen Wins NBA Sportmanship Award

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by mike18946, May 13, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Seattle SuperSonics guard Ray Allen is the recipient of the Joe Dumars Trophy presented to the 2002-03 NBA Sportsmanship Award winner, the NBA announced today. Originally presented following the 1995-96 season, the Sportsmanship Award honors a player who exemplifies the ideals of sportsmanship on the court. The trophy is named for former Detroit Pistons All-Star guard Joe Dumars, the award’s first recipient.

Allen, who was traded to the Sonics along with Kevin Ollie and Ronald Murray on Feb. 20, is the second Seattle player to win the Sportsmanship Award, joining Hersey Hawkins, who won the award following the 1998-99 season.

A three-time NBA All-Star, Allen was one of four divisional finalists that included New York Knicks guard Allan Houston from the Atlantic Division, New Orleans forward P.J. Brown, who represented the Central Division for the second consecutive year (last year with Charlotte), and Dallas Mavericks guard Michael Finley representing the Midwest Division. Each team nominated one of its own players for the award and former NBA players Walt Frazier, Mike Glenn, Tommy Heinsohn, Eddie Johnson, Gil McGregor and Ed Pinckney selected the divisional winners.

Allen received a total of 519 total points, including 38 first-place votes out of a possible 116 votes from a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Players were awarded seven points for each first-place vote, five points for each second-place vote, three for third and one for each fourth-place vote received. Houston finished second with 485 points, Brown was third with 480 points and Finley ended fourth with 372 points.

The NBA will donate $25,000 on behalf of Allen to the Ray of Hope Foundation, and another $10,000 each to the charities of choice for Houston, Brown and Finley. Houston’s donation will be made to the National Mentoring Partnership. Brown’s will go to the P.J. and Dee Brown Foundation while Finley’s award will benefit the Michael Finley Basketball Camps.

Voting totals along with previous winners are attached.

2002-03 Sportsmanship Award Voting Results

Player, Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Pts
    Ray Allen, Seattle 38 31 26 20 519
    Allan Houston, New York 30 36 22 29 485
    P.J. Brown, New Orleans 30 29 34 23 480
    Michael Finley, Dallas 18 20 34 44 372

All-time NBA Sportsmanship Award winners

1995-96 Joe Dumars, Detroit
    1996-97 Terrell Brandon, Cleveland
    1997-98 Avery Johnson, San Antonio
    1998-99 Hersey Hawkins, Seattle
    1999-00 Eric Snow, Philadelphia
    2000-01 David Robinson, San Antonio
    2001-02 Steve Smith, San Antonio
    2002-03 Ray Allen, Seattle</div>

The guy is a class act...

2. Quyen

Quyen JBB JustBBall Member

HELL YEAH! He won two awards this year... 8) My man, Ray rocks my world...god, he's the best...haha [​IMG] *freaks out*

3. knicks235

knicks235 JBB JustBBall Member

he's one of the nicest guys in the nba...........quey must love this award now lol

4. Quyen

true, true...it's bomb! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Be interesting seeing dre miller pass the ball to ray allen next season [​IMG]

6. Quyen

Yeah it would be...lol...*hmm...I hope that Dre would even consider of going to Seattle...he likes how the Sonics play their game? Don't know...and can't clarify if that's true or not...but maybe...*

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Rashard lewis is close friends with him and he has spoken to dre in wanting him to join the sonics next season..and he might well agree to the terms..was an article not that long ago about it

8. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

thats cool, He is a great role Model.

9. Quyen

this might sound crazy...but at my school there was a "Who is your hero?" and most people wrote down their parents, etc...but I wrote Ray Allen...because he's been devoted to basketball, practices hard, and a down to earth guy (that is very intelligent too...have you seen his AVG for his GPA in College? :shock: Damn...he's smart...), he's talented, and I think that everybody should try their best, regardless if they are "the best" or not...and keep your emotions a lil on the downlow....(Ray said, "Holy f*ck" one time...I can read lips...lol...)

10. Ghost

Ghost BBW Member

Congrats to Ray Allen

11. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

i don't really see him get mad...one of the non hot headed ppl of the NBA....

12. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

nah it's great news - desmond mason was always incredible with his community work in seattle so it's good to see we got someone with those sort of qualities back in the trade.

in regards to the miller thing - miller's stock will have dropped playing on that clippers team (or should i say a bunch of individuals playing for contracts in the same uniform) and the clippers will likely let him leave, so unless he wants to go to utah there's a good chance he'll accept less to play in seattle, he's already said he likes the direction the team is headed

rayray's a class act tho...

13. dee still ballin

dee still ballin JBB JustBBall Member

YES!!!! Go RAY RAY!!!

14. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post">Be interesting seeing dre miller pass the ball to ray allen next season [​IMG]</div>

Sorry but Dre is as good as Utah [​IMG]
    Ray deserved this award and I'm not surprised he got it. I would've given it to him aswell as no one seems to get close. He never gets mad on the court and off it(When will the Blazers be like that?)

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

He Got Game and He Got Class

Congrats to RayRay.

16. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "tmac15":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post">Be interesting seeing dre miller pass the ball to ray allen next season [​IMG]</div>

Sorry but Dre is as good as Utah [​IMG]
    Ray deserved this award and I'm not surprised he got it. I would've given it to him aswell as no one seems to get close. He never gets mad on the court and off it(When will the Blazers be like that?)</div>

i think the rumours about utah are based all around the fact he played college there, and that doesn't mean he'll choose there - he also seems like he's not the sort of player who would choose a place just cos they can offer more

17. SCBrian

SCBrian JBB JustBBall Member

nope didnt deserve it...ray allen is a POS...i hate him...i used to think he was tight but then in that interview he tried to put himself on the same level as kobe as a player...and that is just a joke lol

18. go_duke21

go_duke21 JBB JustBBall Member

he is still a good sportsman though and either way everyone else in the nba has been arrested for some reason or another so its not like theres much choice

19. VinsanityMK

VinsanityMK JBB JustBBall Member

congrats RAY!!!

20. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

Thats great congrats to ray, hes an amazing player too, maybe he can do something with seattle next season [​IMG] (i hope)