Ray's Contract

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Seattle SuperSonics are apparently willing to move very little in their contract negotiations with All-Star guard Ray Allen.
    Allen said the meetings between his agent, Lon Babby, and Sonics general manager Rick Sund in Orlando and Washington last week did not provide any progress in talks for an extension for Allen.

?They talked, and from my conversation with Lon, nothing came out of it,? Allen said.

No progress?

?No, not any that has been reported to me that we were moving toward any deal,? Allen said.

Sund has declined to discuss any aspect of the talks since they began in August.

Though Sund, Allen and Babby declined to reveal what the sides are offering, The News Tribune has confirmed the Sonics are offering $68.65 million over five seasons. That would produce a starting salary of $11 million, $3.625 million less than Allen is making this season but $2.5 million more than Rashard Lewis, the second-highest paid Sonics player, will make next season.

The contract would escalate $1.375 million per season, topping out at $16.4 million when Allen is 35. It is believed Allen is asking for between $90 and $95 million over five years.

With the Feb. 24 trade deadline approaching, Allen said Babby will need to meet with the Sonics again soon.

?I think Lon is going to have to fly to Seattle and meet with the higher-ups,? Allen said. ?In the next couple weeks, we really have to see what is going on. Right now there is nothing I can do.?</div>

<font size="1">Full Story courtesy of Frank Hughes and the News Tribune.</font>

Stick to your guns, Supes. $16 million when he's 35 years old is surely more than enough for a guy with a history of knee and ankle problems. $90-95 mill over five is ridiculous IMO, as good as he is now, he's still a shooting guard with minor health ailiments and about to hit 30.

2. Semmi

Semmi JBB JustBBall Member

I really hope that Sund will play this one right this time. Organisation has done some horrible desicions in past so I think they won't give up so much money. Though it would be sad to trade Allen or let him go but you can not build your team on a player who is 30 and give him a max deal over 5 years. I can't understand what's up with players today - can't they take small pay cuts? Those salaries are ridiculous - but somehow you have to feed your family like Sprewell said so....

3. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

I would give him 5 years...3 years/40 million something like that, but he'd want more money and a longer contract. You have to overpay to keep him, but how much are the Sonics willing to overpay him?

I'm not to concerned about the money, it's the contract length. 2-3 Years after a player like Ray signs a deal like that, teams want to dump them...Check C-Webb, Kidd, Rose, Houston, Eddie Jones...even with younger players like Wally Szcerbiak.

4. tradebark

tradebark JBB JustBBall Member

At this point it's all just talk; I mean Ray wants as much money as possible given that this contract will be his last big one before he retires..

I'd hate to lose Ray (well hopefully trade him rather than lose him to free agency) especially given the Sonics' play this season, but I'm still skeptical as to how good the Sonics really are. That contract would tie up quite a bit of money, and do we really think the Sonics will be able to repeat this success next year? (or for the super skeptics, the rest of this one..)

5. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">2-3 Years after a player like Ray signs a deal like that, teams want to dump them...Check C-Webb, Kidd, Rose, Houston, Eddie Jones...</div> The Kings wanting to get rid of Chris Webber is new news to me.Or are you talking about when he played for the Bullets/Wizards?Dont know who the Sonics could trade him for at this point.Would they even want to given all the success theyve had so far this season?I think Seattle is stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one.Just hope Ridnour fully emerges by next season and maybe give flip the start at SG.Even with Ray gone they'll still have alot of talent and a considerable amount left to spend in the pocket book.

6. Smoke

Smoke JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Supersonic:</div><div class="quote_post"><font size="1">Full Story courtesy of Frank Hughes and the News Tribune.</font>

Stick to your guns, Supes. $16 million when he's 35 years old is surely more than enough for a guy with a history of knee and ankle problems. $90-95 mill over five is ridiculous IMO, as good as he is now, he's still a shooting guard with minor health ailiments and about to hit 30.</div>agreed. i just think the coaches and owners of teams should get back to running there teams instead of letting overpaid stars make the shots in these situations.

i believe if ray were to want to leave the sonics it would be his loss and i would trade him in a second to get players that could help our team out for lesser pay. Peja S. for example. If i were running the sonics orginization i would not let a player make the calls.

also i would rather have two or three players that you could probally get for Walter instead of one ray allen. (Walter Ray allen)

7. odde23

odde23 JBB Not A JustBBall Member

I don't usually side with the front office. I do on this however.

8. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I don't think Ray will settle for anything less than 85-90 million over 5 years, I will be surprised If they manage to agree on a 70 million kind of deal.

This is a prefect example why the Sonics should keep hold of Flip just incase the Sonics can't sign Ray to an extension. Someone will pay Ray the money he wants, thats pretty much a given. Only question is If the Sonics are willing to. If they aren't then they better trade him so they don't lose him for nothing. Letting him go for nothing would basically ruin the Sonics chances next season.

9. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">In attempting to get Ray Allen to re-up, Seattle is thinking that no team will have the cap space or inclination this summer to give Allen the $100 million he's seeking. The numbers the Sonics are offering fall more along the lines of the contracts signed last summer by Steve Nash and Rasheed Wallace. Nash got around $66 million for six seasons from Phoenix, starting at around $9 mil and working up to a shade over $13 million. Wallace got $57 million over five years from the Pistons, starting at $9 million and topping out at $14 milllion.</div>

<font size="1">From HoopsHype rumours page, courtesy of Mitch Lawrence and the New York Daily Post.</font>

10. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">SEATTLE - It is no secret the Cavaliers plan to use some of their $20 million-plus in salary-cap room to sign a shooting guard next summer.

All season there's been speculation that Milwaukee Bucks star Michael Redd, who can opt out of his contract at season's end, is at the top of their wish list. But he's not the only big fish out there. And he's not the only one who might have interest in coming to Cleveland.

Seattle SuperSonics star shooting guard and free agent-to-be Ray Allen will likely set the market this summer. With talks about an extension in Seattle stalling, he's keeping his options open.

</div>
    Full Story courtesy of The Akron Beacon Journal

11. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Discussions of a contract extension for All-Star guard Ray Allen have been pleasant.

They just haven't been productive. At least not in terms of getting Allen closer to signing an extension with the Sonics.

"Everything has been very amicable," Allen said. "There just hasn't been any movement, and movement is me signing a contract."

Sonics general manager Rick Sund and Allen's agent, Lon Babby, met on consecutive days during the first week of January when the Sonics played in Orlando and Washington.

Allen said Babby will fly to Seattle to meet again with Sonics management but did not have a timetable for when that would happen. That leaves Allen unsigned past this season and certain to face increasingly frequent questions about his future between now and the Feb. 24 trade deadline.

It's not like Allen brings the subject up to reporters. The only time it comes up is when people ask him about it. It's just that reporters ask a lot. In what could be an oft-repeated scene, a reporter came in Sunday to gauge Allen's prospective interest in a team should he become a free agent. That time it was the Cleveland Cavaliers. On Dec. 31, it was the Charlotte Bobcats. Tonight, it could be the Denver Nuggets.

Inquiries are only going to become more frequent.

"Yeah," Allen said. "It does become a bigger issue."

Sund has not commented on the negotiations since they began in earnest last summer and won't release details. The offer the Sonics have discussed with Allen is believed to be more than the five-year, $65 million deal the Phoenix Suns signed Steve Nash for last summer. Not enough more to convince Allen it's worth signing, though, and there hasn't been much change in the offer.</div>

<font size="1">Full Story courtesy of Danny O'Neil and the Seattle PI.</font>

12. Semmi

Semmi JBB JustBBall Member

Nice move to make this thread a sticky! Looks like Sonics organisation won't back off. I really hope that this matter will be solved better sooner than later, whatever the result will be.

13. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

The Sonics have leverage considering how much all teams are going to be worried about the luxury tax implications in the new collective bargaining agreement. I don't think that this summer will be an offseason where many people will be getting big deals.

It worked w/ Rashard Lewis three years ago. Lewis asked for big money, the Soncs stayed pat, and Lewis was essentially forced into meeting the demands of the Sonics. Allen is a bigger draw then Lewis, but he is also five years older.

If Ray decides not to resign the Sonics better be ready to throw some serious cash at Flip to compensate him for how he's been disrespected the past two years. They should also be willing to look at the free agent market for coaches as well before they decide what they are going to do w/ good ole Nate.

14. seikencube

seikencube JBB JustBBall Member

My opinion is that ray allen should go to an eastern team!
    eastern team needs help for like 3 pointer peeps..so for once hope the eastern team wins in the all stars game...go shaq lol

15. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">NUGGETS INTEREST ALLEN: Early in the season, Seattle shooting guard Ray Allen expressed an interest in Denver for when he becomes a free agent after the season. But that was before the SuperSonics got off to a great start.

Seattle entered Tuesday with the NBA's third-best record. But that hasn't changed Allen's thought process.

"Yeah," said Allen, when asked if he's interested in the Nuggets, who figure to look hard for a shooting guard next summer. "I still haven't signed a contract . . . I've followed the Denver situation pretty closely, with them being in our division. A couple of times I catch them on TV. And, yeah, (a shooting guard is) what they need."

The SuperSonics are trying to negotiate an extension for Allen, making the maximum of $14.6 million this season. But the sides are far apart.

The Nuggets could have about $7 million of cap room next summer. However, they likely could get Allen only in a sign-and-trade. </div>

<font size="1">Full Story courtesy of Chris Tomasson and the Rocky Mountain News.</font>

16. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> On the eve of the trading deadline, SG Ray Allen was asked if he thought it might be his last day in a Sonics uniform. He said that, yes, it was a possibility--and many assumed that meant Allen was close to being traded. Not so. Seattle got a couple of lowball offers for Allen but never was close to dealing him. The Sonics still are working on getting Allen signed to an extension, and it appears the biggest hang-up is the contract's length. Seattle wants four years, and Allen wants five. . . .</div>

<font size="1">Full Story courtesy of Sean Deveney and the Sporting Times.</font>

Interesting, everything else you hear about Ray's contract refers to the money side of things, I naturally assumed we'd go to five years at the right price.

17. diamondgenius

diamondgenius JBB JustBBall Member

Word on the street

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Supersonic:</div><div class="quote_post"><font size="1">Full Story courtesy of Sean Deveney and the Sporting Times.</font>

Interesting, everything else you hear about Ray's contract refers to the money side of things, I naturally assumed we'd go to five years at the right price.</div>

Is that the Sonics are not going to let Ray Allen get away.

Had a conversation with Tacoma News Tribune writer Frank Hughes and he said he doesn't see any scenario that the Sonics don't end up giving Ray a better offer - and conversly, that Ray will be more than willing to meet them in the middle.

The worry is with Nate.

18. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

I trust Frank Hughes sources as much as I trust Stephen A's sources.

Bottom line is that no one really knows what Ray is going to do as an unrestricted free agent. He may want to sacrifice his earning potential to play on a championship caliber team. Or he may just go where he can get the most money.

The Sonics may be willing to budge late, but Ray may feel slighted that his contract wasn't done earlier. No one knows what Ray is going to do until Ray finds out how much other teams are willing to give him. Until that happens I don't think anyone is in a position to speculate on what his plans are for next season.

19. RiverspoonJones

RiverspoonJones JBB Sonic Death Monkey

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Iron Shiek:</div><div class="quote_post">I trust Frank Hughes sources as much as I trust Stephen A's sources.
    </div>

[​IMG]

20. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">NEW YORK -- The negotiations about a contract extension for Ray Allen over the past few weeks can be summed up in one word: silence.

Before yesterday's game in New York, Allen said his agent, Lon Babby, hadn't had any discussions with Sonics general manager Rick Sund since the All-Star Game in late February. Allen also said it had been more than a week since he had spoken to Babby.

All that silence adds up to an impasse that makes it highly unlikely Allen will sign an extension before the season ends, though saying that talks have broken off might be an overly drastic characterization.

"We're always open to talking," Allen said.

It's just that there's nothing left to talk about unless the Sonics offer something new. Asked if that was an accurate summary of the current situation, Allen said it was.</div>

<font size="1">http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/215809_sbar14.html</font>

Latest rumours also have the Knicks offering us Crawford and Kurt Thomas (snigger), and the Clippers offering Maggette and Wilcox in sign and trade scenarios.

Larry Hughes is also an unrestricted FA, something I was previously unaware of.