Realistically, how much better can Dame and CJ get?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Jul 21, 2016.

?

How close are Dame and CJ to their respective ceilings?

1. They're already at their ceilings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Marginal improvements expected from both -- but they're pretty close

54.2%
  3. Substantial improvement expected from one, while the other plateaus (describe)

31.3%
  4. Massive improvement from both -- both become definitive top 10 players

14.6%
  1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Not gonna lie, seeing some of these tweets about how much Dame and CJ are working gets me juiced.

But how realistic is it for them to take another step next season up from their current levels? Can Dame truly become a top 5-7 player? Can CJ crack top 15? Dame is now 26, entering his prime, while CJ at age 25 is going to be in a similar boat. It's even been mentioned here how CJ's development arc has almost exactly mirrored Dame's so far (he's just a year behind). Outside of statistical anomalies like Steph Curry or Gerald Wallace, you don't see guys taking too big of a jump at this age. And even with those guys, it can be argued that injuries earlier in their careers delayed their explosive jumps.

The additions of Turner and Ezeli will help. Turner can take some of the defensive pressure away and allow them both to play off the ball. Both Dame and CJ are loads better at shooting off the catch vs off the dribble. And Ezeli should help shore up some of their defensive deficiencies. But regardless, these two additions are not blockbusters. They're not gonna completely change the way our team develops in the big picture.

We keep focusing on improving the roster from external additions, but where do you see these two next year? In the coming years when our cap situation will get completely fixed, our only hope for improvement has to come from within.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Orion Bailey likes this.
  2. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I think Dame can turn his game up to MVP level, CJ probably can reach all-star status. Both of their efficiency stats should raise going forward.

dviss1, Eastoff, Orion Bailey and 3 others like this.
  3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Steph Curry shows that big improvement, even from an already high base, is possible, so I would never say that Lillard is certainly at his peak--but realistically, I don't think top-5 is going to happen. He'd need to become a historically efficient volume scorer, like Curry or Durant, or a brilliant two-way player like LeBron James or Kawhi Leonard.

I guess he could also become Russell Westbrook but I don't see Lillard stuffing the box score like that--he's not going to hold the ball as much as Westbrook does (which is a good thing, IMO).

Nikolokolus likes this.
  4. illmatic99

So a top 5 player and a top 15 player? Combine that with the right ancillary pieces, and we get to title contention?

5. illmatic99

Here's a look at Dame vs Steph in their first 4 seasons: http://bkref.com/tiny/fV4Zg

Games played: Steph -- 258, Dame --321
    Steph: 19, 6, 4, 58.6% TS%, 19.2 PER
    Dame: 21, 6, 4, 55.9% TS%, 19.4 PER

Steph was a year younger as he came out of college after his junior year.

Dame seems to have a high base here as well. The eFG% and TS% are the biggest differences.

(also surprising to see that more of Dame's shots are threes in comparison).

6. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Yes. Really, we just need Meyers to let go and have him not overthink when he is on the court (think Memphis series). If he would just bring that fire and intensity every game, he'd be a dominant big man.

Orion Bailey and BBert like this.
  7. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    That was my point. Curry shows that huge leaps are possible even when you're already very good (like Dame is).

I'm just saying I wouldn't expect such huge leaps--it wasn't likely that Curry would leap from really good to MVP level and then from MVP level to historically good, and it remains unlikely for other players who match Curry's earlier years.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  8. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Yep; incremental improvements in their games individually will help their performance. The big deal will be, over the next three years, getting the best supporting cast around them (not necessarily the best individual contributors, but players that maximize Dame and CJ's strengths, and cover for their weaknesses). I also think CJ also has one more year of big improvements in him as he adjusts to being a starter, and expands his arsenal of crazy crossovers.

9. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    They haven't tried these yet:

[​IMG]

Strenuus likes this.
  10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Dame has already vastly exceeded what many of us thought his ceiling was before his rookie season. At this point, I'm not putting anything on him. I'm just going sit back and enjoy the ride.

11. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I think they are both at their offensive ability ceiling, or right below it. However, I think both can improve, and will improve their efficiency and defense

Trackjack, TBpup and Eastoff like this.
  12. illmatic99

This was eye opening for me:

I feel like CJ can become a better scorer than Dame. His handle is so much more effective and he can get squared before shooting. He's becoming unstoppable 1 on 1. If he can learn how to draw foul shots, he's going to become a 25 ppg scorer.

Trackjack, dviss1, BonesJones and 3 others like this.
  13. BlazerCaravan

Yes! I've said before I think in three years we might very well consider CJ the better player between him and Dame. He's insanely good at getting to the rim or getting space.

Tunchi and Eastoff like this.
  14. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

For Dame to get better offensively, he needs to improve his efficiency. This will require a coach to work with him about "good shots" and "bad shots" (even if bad shots go in sometimes). I'm not so sure Terry will do that for Dame....

Tunchi and BlazerCaravan like this.
  15. boredinsalem

boredinsalem Well-Known Member

I think Meyers being on the floor leads to better shots for both of them too. He's one of the few guys on the team who sets a decent pick, and one of the few threats in the league for a solid pick n pop from 3 pt range. (lots of stretch 4s can shoot but set shitty picks). As discussed ad nauseum, Turner probably gets both of them some easier looks occasionally too (or reduces the necessity to dribble out of traps).

16. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

It's interesting to me because CJ is basically Brandon Roy.... but 2 inches shorter and with a better outside shot.

17. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    I took the 4th option, although there's no way CJ becomes a top 10 player. It'll take beyond massive improvement just to crack the top 30 or so...

Minstrel likes this.
  18. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

My only fear is Cj over worked and injured. As long Damian and Turner are around, that attorney be a problem.

19. BlazerCaravan

Olshey has already worked on it by giving Dame another ball handler/distributor to look to on the court (most of his bad shots are "I have the range and I don't want to bog down in a trap again so HEAVE!"). Turner/Dame/CJ will make everyone better together.

Dougnsalem and illmatic99 like this.
  20. boredinsalem

boredinsalem Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see a stat on % of contested shots taken by either of them w/o the other on the floor and/or FG%.

With Dame/Henderson/Crabbe (or Aminu) out there (and no post threats whatsoever) I would imagine that Dame took a lot of contested shots.

BlazerCaravan likes this.