Reliever Joey Devine walks four of five Mariners he faces

Discussion in 'Seattle Mariners' started by truebluefan, Mar 8, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

"For the second straight day, an A's pitcher coming back from elbow ligament reconstructive surgery hit a big rock in the road.

Reliever Joey Devine, who had allowed just one hit and two walks in three prior one-inning outings this spring, was less than divine Monday in his first try at pitching after just one day off.

Devine, who has not pitched since the 2008 season when he posted a 6-1 record with an 0.59 ERA in 42 outings, looked like a guy who has been off two years. He faced five Seattle Mariners and issued four walks, throwing 18 balls in 24 pitches before being yanked with one out in the fourth inning.

"I was off mechanically, I had no feeling out there," said the 27-year-old right-hander. "I was forcing the ball to home plate, whereas my previous three outings I was nice and easy and just delivering it."

Devine is vying for one of seven spots in the Oakland bullpen, but like Josh Outman, a fifth-starter candidate who struggled mightily Sunday, Devine learned that getting back in a groove after being out so long will be a process. The good news is that he felt good physically.

"It just shows that I still need to work on some mechanics," Devine said. "It's not a routine yet. I have to be able to throw on one day's rest and back-to-back in order to help this team win.""

Read more: http://www.insidebayarea.com/athletics/ci_17560448